• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these while in the armpit of the internet (Reddit). Credit to user SourGuyBeef for the photos.

Someone actually did get Higgins Mills in Natural Shell on Double JR.

AC1E5224-1468-4ED2-89A3-73FE5FDE5928.jpeg
63FA6495-8D66-4183-BFA1-4A41A1E6FC1F.jpeg

swiego

Reaction score
Hello!

As I return to this hobby, I seek wisdom from the more-knowledgable-than-me here!

When Daltons first were available in shell (not sure if this was a TS or something else) I ordered them - I'm fairly certain these were amongst the earliest pairs. I've never been happy with them. Despite my owning shell Cambridge shoes on the same last that are without question my favorite, most comfortable shoes, these Daltons were always uncomfortable and one shoe was tighter than the other. I also noticed that the tongues wrinkled enormously from the get-go. I don't have many boots other than one shell Alden that had no comfort or aesthetic deficits, so... these boots ended up going into storage, dusted off, worn and occasionally moisturized every 3-4 months for a single day--at best.

I want to figure out once and for all whether these shoes are the cat's meow and I need to fix something, or if they're crap and I should move past them.

Questions:

1. These were my first Shell boots - is it normal that the tongues are this wrinkled and asymmetrical?

2. Suggestions on how to even out tongues (shell) that are like this? I do have a Kirby deer bone and Saphir renovateur that I could use. Please note that the wrinkles you see here are the result of maybe 20-30ish wears of these shoes (none of which were intense - just short dinners or parties because the shoes hurt too much to wear for a long stretch, but were too expensive to write off) over a decade. I've recently started learning how to use a deer bone to even out shell cordovan vamps on AE and C&J shoes with great success but I haven't tried tongues on boots before. It's hard to access the tongue flap, it seems...

3. Is there a good way, with tongues this long, to verify some semblance of symmetry? These shoes have never had tongues that sat evenly against my shins, and didn't show uniform comfort, but I always assumed I was a neophyte who didn't know better and was doing something wrong. The construction and structure of the shoes is complex so it's hard for me to sort out unevenness. Any advice based on experience would be appreciated.

I appreciate any suggestions. I bought and owned many AE shoes with some pride and right around the time I had the wherewithal to escalate the 'hobby', Daltons in shell showed up, I bought them, was disappointed, and around the same time I found myself in Silicon Valley where shoes were nice but the rest of the wardrobe was irrelevant, so I chalked this pair up to 'bad quality' and ignored/tolerated it. But, I think perhaps they were fine all along and I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt that I'm sure they deserve.

tempImageW9ihVE.jpg
tempImageDpoojE.jpg
tempImageaFxHui.jpg

Last edited:

pbrandes

Reaction score
When Daltons first were available in shell (not sure if this was a TS or something else) I ordered them - I'm fairly certain these were amongst the earliest pairs. I've never been happy with them. Despite my owning shell Cambridge shoes on the same last that are without question my favorite, most comfortable shoes, these Daltons were always uncomfortable and one shoe was tighter than the other.

The Daltons are on the 511 last and as far as I knbow always have been. The Cambridge is on the 65 last and will fit very differently from anything on the 511.

swiego

Reaction score
The Daltons are on the 511 last and as far as I knbow always have been. The Cambridge is on the 65 last and will fit very differently from anything on the 511.

Ah yes - please disregard prior post on this point. After purchasing some shoes during this most recent trunk show, including some discussion with store associates on this topic (not particularly fruitful) I got confused on lasts.

Still interested in any feedback on how to "fix" or otherwise improve these Daltons to the point where I can wear them regularly, and comfortably!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As I return to this hobby, I seek wisdom from the more-knowledgable-than-me here!

When Daltons first were available in shell (not sure if this was a TS or something else) I ordered them - I'm fairly certain these were amongst the earliest pairs. I've never been happy with them. Despite my owning shell Cambridge shoes on the same last that are without question my favorite, most comfortable shoes, these Daltons were always uncomfortable and one shoe was tighter than the other. I also noticed that the tongues wrinkled enormously from the get-go. I don't have many boots other than one shell Alden that had no comfort or aesthetic deficits, so... these boots ended up going into storage, dusted off, worn and occasionally moisturized every 3-4 months for a single day--at best.

I want to figure out once and for all whether these shoes are the cat's meow and I need to fix something, or if they're crap and I should move past them.

Questions:

1. These were my first Shell boots - is it normal that the tongues are this wrinkled and asymmetrical?

2. Suggestions on how to even out tongues (shell) that are like this? I do have a Kirby deer bone and Saphir renovateur that I could use. Please note that the wrinkles you see here are the result of maybe 20-30ish wears of these shoes (none of which were intense - just short dinners or parties because the shoes hurt too much to wear for a long stretch, but were too expensive to write off) over a decade. I've recently started learning how to use a deer bone to even out shell cordovan vamps on AE and C&J shoes with great success but I haven't tried tongues on boots before. It's hard to access the tongue flap, it seems...

3. Is there a good way, with tongues this long, to verify some semblance of symmetry? These shoes have never had tongues that sat evenly against my shins, and didn't show uniform comfort, but I always assumed I was a neophyte who didn't know better and was doing something wrong. The construction and structure of the shoes is complex so it's hard for me to sort out unevenness. Any advice based on experience would be appreciated.

I appreciate any suggestions. I bought and owned many AE shoes with some pride and right around the time I had the wherewithal to escalate the 'hobby', Daltons in shell showed up, I bought them, was disappointed, and around the same time I found myself in Silicon Valley where shoes were nice but the rest of the wardrobe was irrelevant, so I chalked this pair up to 'bad quality' and ignored/tolerated it. But, I think perhaps they were fine all along and I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt that I'm sure they deserve.

View attachment 1837271 View attachment 1837272 View attachment 1837273
I had many comfort problems with my Shell Daltons, but they went away with wear and with using boot trees. I found my pinky toes were getting pinched, so I would use the expanding-toe on the boot tree to try to broaden the forefoot. Since these are shell cordovan, they won't stretch much (if any), but will contour and form to be more forgiving.

I also had noticeable pain in the back of my leg towards the top of the shaft of the boot. After wearing the boots for about 2 weeks straight, this pain subsided and they became very comfortable boots. If the shoes are the wrong size, then you may be out of luck getting them to be comfortable. Otherwise, wear them whenever you can (even around the house at night) to help with the break-in period.

Finally, was curious what you meant by silicon valley shoes being nice but wardrobe was irrelevant. Do you mean the show or do you now live in the SF Bay Area?

joman8390

Reaction score
So I just got these today and they appear to be new without box. But what confuses me is the logo looks like the re-craft logo. I have seen others on eBay that look identical. These are the Lake Forest. Can anyone let me know what these are? View attachment 1837294 View attachment 1837295 View attachment 1837296 View attachment 1837297 View attachment 1837298 View attachment 1837299 View attachment 1837300

that’s just their old logo, has nothing to do with those shoes having been recrafted.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Questions:

The tongues on basically every pair of open lace boots I own from shell, to calf, to cow hide look like that.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Questions:

this is how shell goes. My shell daltons have similar tongue rolls. My guess is that you have skinny ankles, which causes a tighter closure of the laces and results in more folding when walking

Garrister

Reaction score
So I just got these today and they appear to be new without box. But what confuses me is the logo looks like the re-craft logo. I have seen others on eBay that look identical. These are the Lake Forest. Can anyone let me know what these are? View attachment 1837294 View attachment 1837295 View attachment 1837296 View attachment 1837297 View attachment 1837298 View attachment 1837299 View attachment 1837300
You need to circle what you think is a recraft symbol because I cannot see one on any of the photos you posted. Those look to be new condition. Nice shoes by the way.

Garrister

Reaction score
Indeed, the 511 is the antithesis of the 65. The 511 is a wider and shorter-in-length last compared to the 65, which is a narrow and long last. Generally, the 511 is true to brannock and people often (not always) size down in the 65. For me, the 511 is a much better fit.

Goat30i

Reaction score
I typed them into the computer at the store, and I had no issues. You just need to make sure you’re using the card number (the PIN isn’t needed) instead of the order number from Raise.

Thanks, unfortunately, the store couldn't figure it out (was def using card #--gave them # and PIN, didn't know didn't have to use PIN), even after calling IT to help. Will try again on another pair, thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kretnuhk