• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre WWII men and women dressed more formally (I leave better to the individual), SF seems to want to one degree or another to harken back to styles worn 80-90 years ago. It just doesn't work today for the most part.

I got many many more questions, comments and questioning looks by wearing a sportscoat then I ever have for my loud shoes. It wouldn't have stopped me from wearing them but then I got fat and just have not bought any and don't intend to.

I'm starting to look for a new job now and there is at least a 50% chance it will be 100% remote so even less of a need to have anything remotely CM.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah yes, there was the infamous no oxfords with chinos thread (which honestly is a rule I think is mostly worth sticking to, but like all rules can be broken).

I think it's funny that CM in many ways seems to have become less fun and flexible than it was when it was the predominant norm for men's dress. Because I like to browse old pictures, here are a few that illustrate my point. All from the mid-30s.

Here we have blue-grey odd trousers with oxfords.

View attachment 1830100
Here we have a bright colored oxford with a rubber sole, egads! (bottom left)

View attachment 1830101

Here we have dark blue/navy slacks worn with a grey jacket.

View attachment 1830102

Or if you really want to drive the rules people crazy, here's marine blue (very close to navy) odd trousers with oxfords and a crewneck short sleeve t-shirt!

View attachment 1830103

And not to get too off topic for the AE thread, I would love to see more shoes based off models from the classic era. More spectators, more shoes on rubber soles (but maybe not stark white sneaker soles). There's gotta be a way to make the dress sneakers that seem to be the current thing look better, because it's not a new concept.
Gotta love L.Fellows illustrations, master of the craft.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bellevue
IMG_1803.JPG

Coffandcig

Reaction score
@Coffandcig Interesting that you have both the old and new versions of the cap toe boot in the same shell. Which model do you like better?

Seems like the old guard touts the 1st Ave. as quintessential but I'm still a skeptic. The Landon doesn't do it for me either though. I feel like they should have used the Patton pattern instead and just made it taller.
IMHO, I really like the Landon. I prefer the wider profile as it fits with denim better. They could be taller but as is, they are pretty close to my ideal boot.

The First Ave is a super awesome design (jumper boots) & work better for trousers or slim/tapered jeans. Unfortunately I was given the incorrect last to try on (not 201) so I mis-sized on these. They fit my brother perfectly though.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
Happy Shelltember, gents! You’ve been asking…and I’m here to deliver ALL of the details for you! Introducing…

THE 2022 SHELL CORDOVAN TRUNK SHOW!

When & How:
  • Orders can be placed in any store or online from September 23rd - October 3rd.
  • You’re able to call, visit or email your favorite store to place your order.
  • 10 stores will be hosting an in-person Trunk Show Event featuring samples of each style and color-way. Date & location of each event will be listed at the bottom of this post.

Styles Available:
Park Avenue, Higgins Mill, Strand, Landon, Park Sneaker, Freeport Boot, Randolph, Fifth Street Boot (Vault Style!), Chandler (NEW!), and Carlyle.

Colors Available:
Burgundy, Black, Chili, Brown Cognac, Natural, Navy, Green, and Chili Marbled (NEW!).

Soles Available (fully customizable!):
Rendenbach, V-Tread, Dainite, XL Henry, or Commando.

Welt Colors Available (fully customizable!):
Black, Dark Brown, Chili, or Antique.

Things to know:
  • There will be NO customizations on welt type (switching from flat to split welt or vice versa).
  • All Sales are FINAL. We encourage you to be certain of your size!
  • Natural Shell and Marbled Shell have a lot of variation.
  • If you choose to customize your welt color, you can only do so by ordering through a store.
  • The $40 SMU fee will be waived if you order through a store.
  • The Park Sneaker can only be customized with a blue, black or red refined up sole.
  • The Natural Park Avenue, Landon and Randolph will only be available to order through a store.
  • All current styles are on the same size chart as their standard, non-Trunk Show version. Please see the product detail page on our website for available sizes.

But wait…there’s more! A store near you will be hosting an in-person Trunk Show Event where you will have access to all 10 cordovan style samples! Here are the dates down below:

(Call, email or visit your location to inquire about time of their event).

September 23rd Event
King of Prussia, PA
Scottsdale, AZ
Los Angeles, CA
Rock Center, NY

September 24th Event
Madison Avenue, NY

September 25th Event
South Coast Plaza,CA

September 30th Event
Chicago Michigan Ave, IL
Boston Newbury, MA
Denver, CO
Roseville, CA

**If you don’t have a store near you, I urge you to reach out to an associate via our live chat function if you have any questions. To access the live chat, go to our website and click on the bottom right widget that says “Chat with an Allen Edmonds Expert!”. We’re more than happy to chat all things cordovan with you!

Personally, I’m loving the green Carlyle, and I couldn’t be more happy we brought the Fifth Street back. Friendly reminder, the new Chandler Boot is crafted on the same last as the Higgins Mill. I’m excited to see what customizations everyone comes up with - its time to let those creative juices flow!

Sound off below with all your thoughts & questions!

IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_5913.jpeg

Fifth Street Boot, Navy, Brown Flat Welt
IMG_5910.jpeg

Carlyle, Green, Brown Flat Welt
IMG_5903.jpeg

Strand, Natural, Antique Flat Welt
IMG_5904.jpeg

Randolph, Chili, Chili Flat Welt
IMG_5905.jpeg

Park Avenue, Navy, Brown Flat Welt
IMG_5902.jpeg

Chandler, Chili Marbeled, Chili Split Welt
IMG_5911.jpeg

Higgins mill, Green, Brown Split Welt
IMG_5908.jpeg

Park Sneaker, Black, No Welt
IMG_5906.jpeg

Landon, Brown Cognac, Brown Split Welt
IMG_5907.jpeg

Freeport Boot, Burgundy, Black Split Welt
IMG_5909.jpeg

joman8390

Reaction score
Happy Shelltember, gents! You’ve been asking…and I’m here to deliver ALL of the details for you! Introducing…

When & How:
  • Orders can be placed in any store or online from September 23rd - October 3rd.
  • 10 stores will be hosting an in-person Trunk Show Event featuring samples of each style and color-way. Date & location of each event will be listed at the bottom of this post.

Styles Available:
Park Avenue, Higgins Mill, Strand, Landon, Park Sneaker, Freeport Boot, Randolph, Fifth Street Boot (Vault Style!), Chandler (NEW!), and Carlyle.

Colors Available:
Burgundy, Black, Chili, Brown Cognac, Natural, Navy, Green, and Chili Marbled (NEW!).

Things to know:
  • There will be NO customizations on welt type (switching from flat to split welt or vice versa).
  • If you choose to customize your welt color, you can only do so by ordering through a store.
  • The Park Sneaker can only be customized with a blue, black or red refined up sole.
  • The Natural Park Avenue, Landon and Randolph will only be available to order through a store.
  • All current styles are on the same size chart as their standard, non-Trunk Show version. Please see the product detail page on our website for available sizes.

But wait…there’s more! A store near you will be hosting an in-person Trunk Show Event where you will have access to all 10 cordovan style samples! Here are the dates down below:

(Call, email or visit your location to inquire about time of their event).

September 23rd Event
King of Prussia, PA
Scottsdale, AZ
Los Angeles, CA
Rock Center, NY

September 24th Event
Madison Avenue, NY

September 25th Event
South Coast Plaza,CA

September 30th Event
Chicago Michigan Ave, IL
Boston Newbury, MA
Denver, CO
Roseville, CA

**If you don’t have a store near you, I urge you to reach out to an associate via our live chat function if you have any questions. To access the live chat, go to our website and click on the bottom right widget that says “Chat with an Allen Edmonds Expert!”. We’re more than happy to chat all things cordovan with you!

Personally, I’m loving the green Carlyle, and I couldn’t be more happy we brought the Fifth Street back. Friendly reminder, the new Chandler Boot is crafted on the same last as the Higgins Mill. I’m excited to see what customizations everyone comes up with - its time to let those creative juices flow!

Sound off below with all your thoughts & questions!

View attachment 1830266

View attachment 1830267
Fifth Street Boot, Navy, Brown Flat Welt
View attachment 1830268
Carlyle, Green, Brown Flat Welt
View attachment 1830269
Strand, Natural, Antique Flat Welt
View attachment 1830270
Randolph, Chili, Chili Flat Welt
View attachment 1830271
Park Avenue, Navy, Brown Flat Welt
View attachment 1830272
Chandler, Chili Marbeled, Chili Split Welt
View attachment 1830273
Higgins mill, Green, Brown Split Welt
View attachment 1830274
Park Sneaker, Black, No Welt
View attachment 1830275
Landon, Brown Cognac, Brown Split Welt
View attachment 1830276
Freeport Boot, Burgundy, Black Split Welt
View attachment 1830277
Thanks for the info!!

Is brown cognac the usual brown that’s available on the regularly available shell models?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When & How:

Styles Available:

Colors Available:

Things to know:

Absolutely fantastic!! The green Higgins Mill got me weak in the knees.

Natural is incredible as always, but, marbled chili looks very wearable!

Is brown cognac the usual brown that’s available on the regularly available shell models?

Looks like it! Dark brown cognac is Horween's name for it, but the hues can vary quite a bit and a lighter shade is probably more desirable for most. You can see in the second photo that the toe cap is the same color as the rest, but in the latter photo you get the directionality of shell showing up as a lighter toe cap.

p.s. The Fifth Street is tempting, even just in black with V-tread.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The desert boot chukka is definitely a bit of a strange choice for shell.

Is there any chance we can see some shots of just the marbled chili shells on their own like we did last year with the black marbled shells? The variation is so big from shell to shell that being able to see, more or less, the whole possible range of color variation. @AE_Lauren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member