• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my feet today
19C970E1-FEC5-4216-AE2F-660D39326593.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riding today and tomorrow so no shoe pics. One of the things I like about the AE thread and some of the other shoe/boot/brand threads is even though we are under the CM forum we don't really harp too much on what many on SF feel is traditional.

I tend to avoid most of the threads that dive into that but then I just love shoes and boots, colors and materials. One of the reasons is I don't have to buy new sizes of shoes when I gain or lose weight like I do with clothes.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Is that Horween though? I feel like the only olive shell I ever heard about was Shinki. And from what I understand, Shinki shell might feel and perform differently than AE customers are used to. I can also kind of imagine logistical difficulties in getting a lot of that from the Japanese tannery. Curious though. Would be interesting if AE ever dabbled outside of Horween offerings.

These days Horween has a lot more options for shell than we’re used to. I’d say it’s likely in the dozens at this point.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Dark trouser separates especially navy, and especially with gray jackets, are disfavored by many SF experts. Kind of a perennial on other threads. Shoe threads have been blessedly and mostly exempt from that type of stuff.

Ah yes, there was the infamous no oxfords with chinos thread (which honestly is a rule I think is mostly worth sticking to, but like all rules can be broken).

I think it's funny that CM in many ways seems to have become less fun and flexible than it was when it was the predominant norm for men's dress. Because I like to browse old pictures, here are a few that illustrate my point. All from the mid-30s.

Here we have blue-grey odd trousers with oxfords.

Esq083403 (1).jpg

Here we have a bright colored oxford with a rubber sole, egads! (bottom left)

Esq083509.jpg

Here we have dark blue/navy slacks worn with a grey jacket.

Esq073607.jpg

Or if you really want to drive the rules people crazy, here's marine blue (very close to navy) odd trousers with oxfords and a crewneck short sleeve t-shirt!

Esq083803.jpg

And not to get too off topic for the AE thread, I would love to see more shoes based off models from the classic era. More spectators, more shoes on rubber soles (but maybe not stark white sneaker soles). There's gotta be a way to make the dress sneakers that seem to be the current thing look better, because it's not a new concept.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Riding today and tomorrow so no shoe pics. One of the things I like about the AE thread and some of the other shoe/boot/brand threads is even though we are under the CM forum we don't really harp too much on what many on SF feel is traditional.

I tend to avoid most of the threads that dive into that but then I just love shoes and boots, colors and materials. One of the reasons is I don't have to buy new sizes of shoes when I gain or lose weight like I do with clothes.

I think what SF people think is traditional has become in some ways distorted and too bland. There was quite a lot of variance in mens dress back in the day. I do think taste is more subjective, and I like things that seem to be harmonious within a whole outfit even if they are "exotic" or bold, rather than just wearing things because you like the singular piece.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
A0B0A8E6-E20B-4788-A43C-2583CBEF725B.jpeg
I’m confused - why is Zac Efron wearing socks? No Park Avenue protest?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I would opt for a more traditional look with the Strands in Navy or Green and have those be with a dark-ish flat welt, but the Hamilton would have reverse welts and be light colored for both to give them a more casual look, thus creating different opportunities to wear each and an excuse to buy all 4 if made available!

Elegant Oxford's Strands just looks amazing to me! This combo on a Hamilton would be a killer combo!
View attachment 1829971
He also has a nice pair of green ones too…:stirpot:

@ProfilaBinding

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Coffandcig Interesting that you have both the old and new versions of the cap toe boot in the same shell. Which model do you like better?

Seems like the old guard touts the 1st Ave. as quintessential but I'm still a skeptic. The Landon doesn't do it for me either though. I feel like they should have used the Patton pattern instead and just made it taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ismaeljc