• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Factory second strands on Dainite from late 2018. Dainite wears like iron! Still going strong.
C90A7666-D94A-4042-BE35-6A69870B9755.jpeg

blewnote1

Reaction score
All right fellow weasels, I thought I was out for a while after the Chili/Linen Macs came in, but I was on eBay this weekend for my periodic AE browsing and saw a pair of very lightly worn (like not even into the channels) Randolphs in dark brown in what appeared to be excellent shape for $85, free shipping, free return shipping, in my size (9 3E) and just couldn't pass them up.

They have a weird dent on the tip of one shoe that might be able to be popped out but honestly doesn't bother me. They do not feel like they are molded into someone else's foot at all and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep them. They fit like a glove, although my right foot does feel snug across the widest part and I can see the indentation of the strap across the top of my foot after taking them off. Do I keep them and just see if they can be stretched a little to make them that much more comfortable? This may be the first pair of Randolphs I've tried on, so maybe I should pass on these and try a 9.5EE or 3E?

For reference, my other loafers (all in 9 3E) are the Wooster St. which fit perfectly, the Cavanaughs feel slightly tight even after wearing for 6 months and slightly short. The Sea Islands are comfortable but also feel like they're a half size short and not as wide in the sole as they should be for a 3E.

Also, I learned here (and interestingly from some old Esquire copy) that you can darken your lighter brown shoes (Esquire recommended you take them immediately to a boot black before wearing them!) but I'm curious about adding red into the mix on a dark brown shoe. I don't actually own a true pure dark brown shoe (I have coffee, merlot, bourbon, and chili/linen in the mid/dark brown family) so I suppose I could just polish these up and roll with it, but I'm curious if using a burgundy or some other red cream would add enough red into the mix that it would be noticeable. Anyone ever done this? Would it necessitate stripping down to base layer using acetone first?

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pics today (because you would see my hairy legs). I wore my blue suede Strandmoks to have a hernia repaired. A little sore, but in good spirits. A couple of the staff commented on how they liked my shoes.

What is hernia surgery like these days? I had three hernia surgeries as a teenager -- I was born with a hernia that appeared to go away by itself as I got older, but when I started wrestling in high school it re-appeared... so I had hernia repair surgery, but I must have a weak abdomen or something because the hernias kept re-appearing and I had to have the surgery two more times. The surgeries were very painful since the incisions were big and they cut right through your abdominal muscles and then sewed everything back together, and I remember walking around bent over, like a grandmother, for about a week after each one.

A few years ago the WSJ ran an article stating that hernia surgery is now done laparoscopically and that the surgeon now places plastic mesh in your abdomen in lieu of stitching it up. That sounded a lot less painful and I was glad to hear that there have been advances in hernia surgery. Did you get the laparoscopic surgery with the mesh? Or did you undergo the old-school procedure?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re firsts. The code on the box is a F1 code. Also, no marking on the bottom of one of the boots.
Interesting! Looked like a sloppy F2 code but only on one boot. Good to know.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is hernia surgery like these days? I had three hernia surgeries as a teenager -- I was born with a hernia that appeared to go away by itself as I got older, but when I started wrestling in high school it re-appeared... so I had hernia repair surgery, but I must have a weak abdomen or something because the hernias kept re-appearing and I had to have the surgery two more times. The surgeries were very painful since the incisions were big and they cut right through your abdominal muscles and then sewed everything back together, and I remember walking around bent over, like a grandmother, for about a week after each one.

A few years ago the WSJ ran an article stating that hernia surgery is now done laparoscopically and that the surgeon now places plastic mesh in your abdomen in lieu of stitching it up. That sounded a lot less painful and I was glad to hear that there have been advances in hernia surgery. Did you get the laparoscopic surgery with the mesh? Or did you undergo the old-school procedure?
I had the mesh procedure, either way it sucks. Lbvs!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a complaint in the AE Facebook group that someone received their Horween football leather Higgins Mills with brown laces instead of the lighter colored laces shown on AE’s website. He contacted Customer Service and they sent him a pair of laces.

Evidently others complained about this too. I just received an email about my order (which has not yet shipped).

E61F20F8-9C56-4FDD-8239-29C3FBC797BC.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This reminds me….
The doctor has recommended a complicated hernia surgery for my wife. She thinks that it will help with her recent issues that required the 5-day hospital visit. It’s not something that they do at our local hospital, and it supposedly requires six weeks of recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads