• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

blewnote1

Reaction score
Absolutely abhorrent. My father wore a tie and dress shoes every weekday, and occasionally on weekends. I carry that same torch. Formal dress, especially dress shoes,
should not go the way of the dodo.

I remember as a child watching old movies and thinking, "one day, I want to dress like those gentlemen".

View attachment 1821543 View attachment 1821544
This right here. I always admired the way men dressed then and I occasionally aspired to it in my professional life as a musician, but too often let myself be lazy and just got in with everyone else. After losing a bunch of weight during the pandemic I decided that I would come back to work and begin dressing as well as possible at all times (like all my heroes did), including in my free time (although I'm decidedly more casual there... I do live in New Orleans where it's hot 2/3 out of the year after all).

Sometimes I'm in a suit and other cats on the gig are in jeans and a tank top, but I just don't worry about it. I found a treasure trove of old fashion illustrations from Esquire from its inception that I use for inspiration, and since it's hot as balls here during the summer and not all the clubs are that well air conditioned, I have been having fun playing with daytime resort wear inspired looks (but no shorts, and usually a jacket, just not always a shirt and tie).

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friends, we do not talk about the Chester enough. We are failing as AE enthusiasts.
The Chester. This is the EXACT shade I have been looking for since 2015 and I only find them in black. I did go with the black, but it was alligator. This is an amazing shoe. I think AE would sell a TON of these should they ever make another appearance.

chester.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday!
67F0DA57-7082-4AF0-8049-0FA4252E7862.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep my Burke sneakers at the office along with a pair of jeans to change into when I ride. As to dress sneakers, I just think of them a sneakers (not athletic shoes) but like when I wore Vans and similar shoes when I was younger. They are just a nice pair of sneakers. I'd never wear then with anything other than jeans or shorts.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't see someone who is 23 as still a millennial. Then again, I think millennial was a stupid, vague generational title to begin with.

Regardless, the point he made is: Gen Z thinks only old people wear dress sneakers and boots are big.
This 23 year old would like a word with you.

2020-12-11 09.36.24.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More miles for this guy.
2BAAB3B1-68B2-4123-BAD5-25F1F2EDBE61.jpeg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you waffling, Your Honor?
LOL not really. I just feel like a jerk for picking apart these shoes. I am disappointed in the absence of genuine football leather but... I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to get all worked up into a lather about a pair of shoes. When other people do this I don't like it, so when I find myself doing it... it's time to stop. Even if I am disappointed, it doesn't justify a hissy fit.

Also, AE made an effort to bring these shoes to the market and it seems churlish to be so critical.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am acting like a stereotypical Midwesterner, complaining about a product -- with some justification, as they are using a different kind of leather -- and then buying it anyway.

Seriously, though, I feel bad about being such a jerk so I decided to buy the shoes. Who knows, maybe I'll really like them. It will be interesting to wear them once they arrive.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the current sale, I am extremely tempted by a couple of items. One of these is the Loden suede Higgins Mill boot. The Higgins Mill and Freeport fit me well. I also have two other pairs of green boots (though neither pair fits me quite as well as the HM.) I decided to wear one of my other pairs of green boots today while I think about this. (Non-AE in sun and shade)

0EFCDCA7-D2C4-4641-9CEA-5068BC16489F.jpeg
B7FCDA26-2BED-4A06-B4DF-47BD98F9EDEE.jpeg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the current sale, I am extremely tempted by a couple of items. One of these is the Loden suede Higgins Mill boot. The Higgins Mill and Freeport fit me well. I also have two other pairs of green boots (though neither pair fits me quite as well as the HM.) I decided to wear one of my other pairs of green boots today while I think about this. (Non-AE in sun and shade)

View attachment 1821706 View attachment 1821707
I don't normally "like" non-AE shoes on the AE thread, but those are killer!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL not really. I just feel like a jerk for picking apart these shoes. I am disappointed in the absence of genuine football leather but... I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to get all worked up into a lather about a pair of shoes. When other people do this I don't like it, so when I find myself doing it... it's time to stop. Even if I am disappointed, it doesn't justify a hissy fit.

Also, AE made an effort to bring these shoes to the market and it seems churlish to be so critical.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am acting like a stereotypical Midwesterner, complaining about a product -- with some justification, as they are using a different kind of leather -- and then buying it anyway.

Seriously, though, I feel bad about being such a jerk so I decided to buy the shoes. Who knows, maybe I'll really like them. It will be interesting to wear them once they arrive.
From my cheap seats, you don't appear as complaining. You're stating facts. I also don't like reading posts from whiners. Yours never struck me as whining.

I'm trolling @mreams99 just for sport. I AM a bit disappointed that the offering isn't what I/we expected, but I'm still a big AE supporter.

I've been considering the sneaker in Buccaneer generic grain too. I want to change the sole from white but there's not a great alternative. The brick red woulda been great with Genuine Horween Football leather, but alas, that didn't happen.

C'est la vie.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My son turns 38 this month, so I ordered him a pair of Loden HM...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hometeriors