• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you wind up making it back to Paramus before they closed? Last time I was there was April, I think they closed in May.
Hi Neo, how are you? Haven’t talked to you in ages. I didn’t know they have closed. It was a good store with good associates. It’s unfortunate that they closed.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Neo, how are you? Haven’t talked to you in ages. I didn’t know they have closed. It was a good store with good associates. It’s unfortunate that they closed.
Good to see you back. Have had a rough two years with everything going on - hopefully you fared better.

In the "good old days" I remember having numerous conversations with Kristen that involved the MVPs - yourself, madhat & aetampafan. I remember I was shocked at her abrupt departure - that got me to venture out into Alden, GS & Quoddy and finally break my exclusivity with AE.

I went back a while later. For work I had to spend a lot of time in South Jersey so gave me an excuse to drive to the store on Saturday. I remember I was really bummed when they finally closed in May. I think that whole place fell apart when Century 21 closed down.

It was even more of a shock to see the speed at which the Woodbury outlet closed. With the throngs of tourists being bussed into that place hourly you'd think it would have lasted. The place was a disaster zone - merchandise everywhere, lots of damaged pairs, etc. The associates were very rude too.

The one in Short Hills is nice but they have nothing for me so it's kind of like a showroom. The one in King of Prussia was similar- those guys there were very enthusiastic but a little too hyper for my taste.

These days with the reduced store hours everywhere I haven't been to an AE store in many months.

Southwick

Reaction score
On my way to my cobbler. I had to walk with no heel, I will see if there is not too much damage to the stack for a glue and nail job.
Probably a dumb question, but won’t AE fix this? I just bought some alpine chukkas and several reviewers said the heel falls off. I’m assuming that if that happens to my pair, AE will take care of it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup…we started communicating when I asked about purchasing from him my first pair of Aldens and first pair of shell, my cap toe #8 Atoms.
Sigh....when I saw the initial posts about the diagnosis it hit me pretty hard. I figured it would only be a matter of time for this update.

Not sure if any of you knew him (maybe Vincent George?) but he was like the nicest most down to earth guy you'd ever met.

Scott Kluge hadn't quit Natick yet, so James was still working State Street (before Nichole). I remember being nervous around him - he's really tall, good looking, and always like super well put together - not just the shoes - pants, shirt, blazer, the whole nine yards. I was thinking oh this guy's gonna think I'm a piece of crap.

So far from it. When Scott, then Kirsti both quit, for a while James ran both Boston plus Natick. That driving must have been hell for him. When I finally approached him, I explained some frustration about them not stocking my size and not being able to try anything. He was soooooo accommodating I couldn't believe it - I wound up getting a bunch of pairs from him and always swung by the store when he was around.

He knew every style, everything inside & out. Construction methods, lasts, where everything was made. He also had this weird ocd thing where if you mentioned a flaw with a particular style he'd almost get upset about it, and very apologetic- it's like dude, dont worry about it, not your fault.

When he left for NC I figured the store would fall to pieces, which it did until Nichole showed up much later. I'll tell you he was easily top associate I've ever met, no exception. I remember I even told that to Kristen in person once. She did this accusatory hands on her hips "he's better than me?" thing - I had to say yes.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just left the Cobbler and of course he blamed the heel failure on a non-leather stack. So, they are getting replaced with a leather stack.
If you missed out on the last spectator shoes AE made. Make your own. Madison Park.

On a more irritating note, my split pea soup was just brought to me.

When I told my waitress that I ordered the split pea soup and she made a mistake. I was told that my Boss called and vetoed the soup in favor of a Greek Salad. Sometimes I wish my wife loved me a little less!
If you can ever find a blue suede Player shoe, you so need that.

You & me both haha.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also... a few more boots arrived:

IMG_3258.jpeg

Higgins Mill in loden suede, Freeport in brown suede, Chapman in natty CXL, and Chapman in suede.

As a HM aficionado, I thought I'd compare the suede between an older model and the current model.

IMG_3259.jpeg

The acorn suede is reverse kudu with a blue Dainite sole. Very nice. The olden pair has the XL lightweight soles and the suede is Repello. I think. Undecided on this pair.

The natty CXL Chapman was going to be duplicative of my Long Branches in Golden CXL in my head. You tell me, but I'm liking the lack of medallion.

IMG_3262.jpeg

The Chapman in suede? I kinda really like it. Honestly I thought the tags on the Freeport and Chapmans would be off-putting. I hardly notice them.

Edit to include the Freeport. I was opposed to them. Strongly opposed. The tag, the look... no. And then I got them. Jeebus help me, I think I love them. Sigh.

Which ones should I keep?

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1740865

Higgins Mill in loden suede, Freeport in brown suede, Chapman in natty CXL, and Chapman in suede.

As a HM aficionado, I thought I'd compare the suede between an older model and the current model.

View attachment 1740866

The acorn suede is reverse kudu with a blue Dainite sole. Very nice. The olden pair has the XL lightweight soles and the suede is Repello. I think. Undecided on this pair.

The natty CXL Chapman was going to be duplicative of my Long Branches in Golden CXL in my head. You tell me, but I'm liking the lack of medallion.

View attachment 1740867

The Chapman in suede? I kinda really like it. Honestly I thought the tags on the Freeport and Chapmans would be off-putting. I hardly notice them.

No comment on the Freeport?

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1740865

View attachment 1740866

View attachment 1740867

Edit to include the Freeport. I was opposed to them. Strongly opposed. The tag, the look... no. And then I got them. Jeebus help me, I think I love them. Sigh.

I'd say the freeport and loden higgins depending upon what else you have. I like your long branch better than the chapman. Just seems to work better for me. The chapman in suede looks better than the cxl to my eye but it's similar in color to your other suede higgins.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but won’t AE fix this? I just bought some alpine chukkas and several reviewers said the heel falls off. I’m assuming that if that happens to my pair, AE will take care of it.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. With communication, photos, and receipts, my SA’s find a way to compensate for any issues that ever come up. That is all I want to say about that.

manowar

Reaction score
Nice haul. I say lose the natty Chapman at least - doesn't hold a candle to the Long Branch.

Those suede Freeports might be one of the best looking boots from AE right now.

BTW, I thought you had regular black shell HM's at first. Love how subtle the marbling on your pair is.

@polojock615

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Independence in Merlot.
A906E3D0-1717-4328-8D3A-CB544134FA5A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers