• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANJ

Reaction score
I would like to see some bluchers back in the lineup.
Yes! And some Derbys (or Derbies?). And how about some exposed eyelets?
I purchased my first non-AE shoe in a several years because I found another, much smaller USA maker that seems to be able to make shoes that Allen Edmonds does not seem to want to make anymore, like Longwings, plain-to Derby shoes, Ranger Mocs, and moc-toe chukkas. I am sure I will still buy AE shoes but recent offering, outside of some of the boots, aren't speaking to me.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving the golden CXL Longbranch a little run today. No real reason, other than for nostalgia's sake as they're the first pair of AEs I ever bought a little over 7 years ago. I'd like to say I've learned a lot about fit and style and just overall being a better and more decent human being during that time, but I think we all know I'm not fooling anyone.

IMG_5622.jpg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving the golden CXL Longbranch a little run today. No real reason, other than for nostalgia's sake as they're the first pair of AEs I ever bought a little over 7 years ago. I'd like to say I've learned a lot about fit and style and just overall being a better and more decent human being during that time, but I think we all know I'm not fooling anyone.

View attachment 1715595

Classic! Right time for red laces!

1000 (3).jpeg

I've worn through 2 pair - deciding whether to give away, throw away or resole. I'm gonna miss them when they're all gone!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1715603
I've worn through 2 pair - deciding whether to give away, throw away or resole. I'm gonna miss them when they're all gone!
I mean, if the uppers are still good, and you love them...might as well resole and put back in duty! Unless your GS have totally knocked them out of rotation.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1715603

What make up(s) and size(s) are the ones you're deciding about? If we're in the the same ballpark, we should talk about them. Maybe crack open a couple of beers. I'll bring a charcuterie board and some zip ties and a stun gun. You know, the basics for abducting a couple pairs of Longbranch boots. It'll be fun! We'll have a good laugh about it later. You'll have some stories to tell the family, I'll have some Longbranch boots. In the future, I'll include a Proof of Life photo of them around the holidays, maybe as a Christmas card. Basically, everybody wins.

I see no downside here.

All kidding aside, that photo you posted is one of my top-10, all-time favorites ever on this site. They're exactly the way a good pair of worn-in boots should look.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me to buy any more dress shoes I would need new styles, materials, colors or patina. I have more than enough and now that I ride for my commute a fair bit I'm using them less. In the colder months when I don't ride I'm wearing boots more often.

9_dce12037-0aed-4b00-84d7-f524a6208794_2048x.jpg

CarlosSantos8618HandgradeadelaideinWineShadowforTheNobleShoe3_4000x.progressive.jpg

double_monk_strap_brown_museum_10003_l-2.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Even then not sure how many more I might get.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to LOL earlier when I read this comment I admit. Even more ironic given some of the follow-up discussions...

I suggested the Lombard precisely because I DON'T love it. I would even go so far as to say I don't even like it that much. If they put out a chelsea or loafer platform, I'm gonna take notice of it, plain and simple. Beyond that, that's about it.

My mistake -- and it's good that we agree on something for once.

Speaking of bluchers, I really enjoyed the latest video by @ProfilaBinding on the Badlands. That is a shoe I never considered buying but watching his vid made me think I had missed out on a pretty good shoe.

You know, when I was making that video, I was wondering if anyone would find it useful. I love the Badlands, but I know it's not the most popular style. Glad you found it helpful and thanks!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What make up(s) and size(s) are the ones you're deciding about? If we're in the the same ballpark, we should talk about them. Maybe crack open a couple of beers. I'll bring a charcuterie board and some zip ties and a stun gun. You know, the basics for abducting a couple pairs of Longbranch boots. It'll be fun! We'll have a good laugh about it later. You'll have some stories to tell the family, I'll have some Longbranch boots. In the future, I'll include a Proof of Life photo of them around the holidays, maybe as a Christmas card. Basically, everybody wins.

I see no downside here.

All kidding aside, that photo you posted is one of my top-10, all-time favorites ever on this site. They're exactly the way a good pair of worn-in boots should look.

You had me at beers.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

View attachment 1715603

Resole for sure. Out of curiosity - why wouldn’t you? Are the uppers destroyed?

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I use the Saphir oiled leather cream from the bottle on my brown CXL Higgins Mills. It can restore a rich (greasy) finish if the leather is dry.

I have the same from the bottle and have used on my chromexcel Long Branch boots.

Then I saw this video so I purchased the medaille d’or cream. I mean it says gold medal so you just can’t beat that.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same from the bottle and have used on my chromexcel Long Branch boots.

Then I saw this video so I purchased the medaille d’or cream. I mean it says gold medal so you just can’t beat that.

I'm toying with trying that stuff. I wish they made a burgundy. For my brown cxl Pattons, I've stumbled onto a mix of renovateur and burgundy cordovan cream (lots of neatsfoot oil) to push them slightly into a rich mahogany hue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads