• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Which shoe community are we talking about? Certainly not the one where I'm constantly blasting everyone with more Strand content than anyone has ever wanted or asked for?

I beg your forgiveness, Your Highness.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is generally accepted in the shoe community that the Mac Neil was the best shoe Allen Edmonds ever produced. I would go so far as to say a scientific consensus has been reached and only fools dispute this fact.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Do not listen to these Strand proselytizers. They are drunker than I am on a typical Friday night.

The MacNeil is the best shoe AE ever made. The Higgins Mill is the best boot. A man could lead a very rich and full life with just those two models in his possession.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9FD183EA-0327-40E8-9E0D-90E2EE7BFBC1.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you know I regard you as the "brains" behind this thread, clearly the one with the most knowledge/wisdom of well...anyone else. So I mean the most respect when I say I completely disagree with this comment.

I have felt for a long time that whoever is in charge of AE takes an approach kind of like a low IQ dalmation or the Joker from the Dark Knight - basically a blind-folded person throwing darts at the wall. Trying whatever new lasts, styles, etc. with close to zero rhyme or reason behind it.

They discontinued the Wooster Street, which was the "easiest" fitting loafer I've seen come out of AE in a long time, while keeping the Grayson & Randolph? They discontinued the Long Branch in favor of the Chapman, on an uknown, unvetted last that's surely not stocked in retail B&M stores to try out? I could go on and on. No idea what they're thinking but imo it's certainly not trying to accomodate as many people as possible fit-wise.
Just because you try to do something does not mean that you are successful at it.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from the Allen Edmond Sock Appreciation thread:

My trunk show order has arrived - much sooner than I expected! Shout out to @ae_ashley for keeping these AE Sock Trunk shows going!

Overall I'm please with the results. There's the usual loose thread here and there, but that's part of getting hand-made socks.

I went with a cajun theme and got red crawfish on a bright blue background. Went with matching heels. I struggled w/ the toe color, but settled on navy. Glad I did - they look great in-person!

Sorry for the non-buyer's remorse, guys!

20211204_095833.jpg

Can't wait till the next sock trunk show!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still wondering if I am the only member of this group who has a pair of black Rutledges?

Wore them again last night. May decide to wear them more often in the future and fill this thread with pictures of them.

IMG_0031.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a holiday fiesta of them.

In the lobby of the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles before going up the stairs to the Art Deco Society Of Los Angeles "Cocktails In Historic Places" event in the Gallery Bar.

IMG_0027.jpeg

Interacting with one of the Christmas decorations before going up the stairs.

IMG_0033.jpeg

The entrance to the Gallery Bar.

IMG_0035.jpeg

Once again went to an event and discovered I was underdressed.

IMG_0041.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, didn't have any food, just champagne, so you will have to settle for a champagne picture with a moral.

The moral is when you are old your grey hairs show up more in pictures taken with a flash or taken out in bright sunlight.

IMG_0040.jpeg

For fans of Christmas Tree pictures in shoe threads, one of the Biltmore Hotel's Christmas Trees.

IMG_0047.jpeg

The last event I went to at the Biltmore Hotel was the Tweed Pub Crawl in November 2019.

75439356_2868299203200908_4956616289373126656_o.jpg

For fans of historic pictures in shoe threads, the Santa Fe Railway Los Angeles City Ticket Office (and a Fred Harvey shop and office) used to be in the Biltmore Hotel.

My career started there in June 1965 when my friend who worked there told me to go over to the Los Angeles General Office at 6th and Main (now called "Santa Fe Lofts" and converted into hipster housing), see the Chief Clerk in the Passenger Traffic Department, and get hired.

If Amtrak hadn't happened at 11:59pm EST on April 30th 1971 I would probably still be working for the railroad.

00111301.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My trunk show order has arrived - much sooner than I expected! Shout out to @ae_ashley for keeping these AE Sock Trunk shows going!

Overall I'm please with the results. There's the usual loose thread here and there, but that's part of getting hand-made socks.

I went with a cajun theme and got red crawfish on a bright blue background. Went with matching heels. I struggled w/ the toe color, but settled on navy. Glad I did - they look great in-person!

View attachment 1714650

I’m still waiting on my pair.
Why am I always the last?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With some C&J Islay and Moltons in the mix this Fall, my CXL Pattons have been somewhat the forgotten boot. Wore them to the dog park this morning and remembered why they turned me into a high end boot guy. So comfortable and just the right balance on the work-casual-dressy scale.

20211204_104033.jpg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1714650

Really really happy you liked then, friend. It's folks like you coming out of the woodwork for special trunk show sock projects like these that keep me so passionate about my work. Really looking forward to our new cxl sock line we have in the works for you guys. They say the waxy yet breathable coverage is ideal for almost any situation.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really really happy you liked then, friend. It's folks like you coming out of the woodwork for special trunk show sock projects like these that keep me so passionate about my work. Really looking forward to our new cxl sock line we have in the works for you guys. They say the waxy yet breathable coverage is ideal for almost any situation.
50% of my socks are AE. I love the merino wools

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still wondering if I am the only member of this group who has a pair of black Rutledges?

Wore them again last night. May decide to wear them more often in the future and fill this thread with pictures of them.

View attachment 1714609

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a holiday fiesta of them.

In the lobby of the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles before going up the stairs to the Art Deco Society Of Los Angeles "Cocktails In Historic Places" event in the Gallery Bar.

View attachment 1714620

Interacting with one of the Christmas decorations before going up the stairs.

View attachment 1714622

The entrance to the Gallery Bar.

View attachment 1714625

Once again went to an event and discovered I was underdressed.

View attachment 1714633

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, didn't have any food, just champagne, so you will have to settle for a champagne picture with a moral.

The moral is when you are old your grey hairs show up more in pictures taken with a flash or taken out in bright sunlight.

View attachment 1714636

For fans of Christmas Tree pictures in shoe threads, one of the Biltmore Hotel's Christmas Trees.

View attachment 1714643

The last event I went to at the Biltmore Hotel was the Tweed Pub Crawl in November 2019.

View attachment 1714648

For fans of historic pictures in shoe threads, the Santa Fe Railway Los Angeles City Ticket Office (and a Fred Harvey shop and office) used to be in the Biltmore Hotel.

My career started there in June 1965 when my friend who worked there told me to go over to the Los Angeles General Office at 6th and Main (now called "Santa Fe Lofts" and converted into hipster housing), see the Chief Clerk in the Passenger Traffic Department, and get hired.

If Amtrak hadn't happened at 11:59pm EST on April 30th 1971 I would probably still be working for the railroad.

View attachment 1714651
TL;DR...but Dude, your house is magnificent! And you have a butler!! Very Downton Abbey. Love your Christmas decorations too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics