• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The olive Landons arrived, and they look fantastic. However, I must have weird feet because I definitely do not feel like this last is larger than the 1757. These might actually be too small, and I might need to size up just like I did with the most recent chili Higgins. I don't want to return this pair because they look so good for being factory seconds. Pics later.

My Landons fit an entire size larger (length and width) than my HM.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The olive Landons arrived, and they look fantastic. However, I must have weird feet because I definitely do not feel like this last is larger than the 1757. These might actually be too small, and I might need to size up just like I did with the most recent chili Higgins. I don't want to return this pair because they look so good for being factory seconds. Pics later.
My Landons fit an entire size larger (length and width) than my HM.
Mine seem to fit about the same. I'll have to try them on back to back to be certain but I did not see the high instep some alluded to on my Landons.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Landons feel like they have a much higher instep with more volume. I have to use an insole to get them to fit.
They don’t feel longer or wider than my Higgins Mills (1757 last). They just feel like they have more volume.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Landons feel like they have a much higher instep with more volume. I have to use an insole to get them to fit.
They don’t feel longer or wider than my Higgins Mills (1757 last). They just feel like they have more volume.
Maybe I need to buy more Landons in hopes of getting the high-instep versions.

The majority of shoes I am selling are not due to width but instep issues. Some I've been able to stretch or size up on to alleviate but the rest have to go.

The HM and Landon lasts are pretty different as you can see here:
Landon
Landon_4493_BlackCordovan_Top_Sole_web.jpg

HM
HigginsMillLug_3900_Black_Top_Sole_web.jpg

Last edited:

DawgPound

Reaction score
Dear all, I would love to get your input on the Landon respectively the last 2622: Does it run long in size?

I mean, would you for example say a size 9 is a short 9 or a long 9?

My issue is I am not firm with US sizes and when I look around on the web, there is no clear equation of international sizes, in fact the more charts I look up the more I get confused.
I am wearing RM Williams boots (Craftsman and Gardener) in 8.5 AU/UK and these are perfect. As I have wider feet I'm wearing the H-Fit, so I want the Landon in EEE and I feel safe on the width. But I'm wondering if I should pick US 9 or 9.5.

AU/UK 8.5 on RMW's charts is EU 43 and US 9.5, Allen Edmonds equates UK 8.5 to US 9. I understand that the Landon/last 2622 is a "relaxed fit" that "has added space in the toe box. This extra room allows for thicker socks and foot expansion that occurs at the end of the day or during a long flight."
So I would guess US 9 on the Landon would be a 'long' US 9. Do you agree or would you beg to differ?
I really need AE/Alden/Carmina/Rancourt sizing to give you more specific advice, but I will tell you I ordered 11.5EEE (11.5EE is normal TTS size for me, 11EEE for Higgins Mill on 1757). It does feel long, but I needed it for width in the toebox! The taper is too much like Alden's Barrie and is no bueno for my pinkie toe. I would say a 9 if you have easier fitting feet, but if you struggle with toe tapers hurting your toes then 9.5 might be the way to go. Really depends on the relationship between your heel-toe and heel-ball measurements. Hopefully you have a higher instep...they have a LOT of vamp room for thick/tall feet.
For me, I think the Landon runs long. I brannock 11.5EE and the AE true-to-size lasts are just that size. However, the Landon, Higgins Mill and anything on the 65 last are all 11EEE. The Landon even at that size feels roomy and thick socks aren’t a problem. Good luck!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how some on here can feel higher instep volume, while I feel no improvement at all from the 1757. Is it a dud pair I got? I kind of doubt it. Both boots feels the same. I couple of interesting things I noticed about this olive Landon:

1. My heel to ball is already slightly behind the widest part of the last. Similar to the 201 in that regard. Going up 1/2 size might cause issues with that (or maybe not).

2. I cannot use 55 inch boot laces because the instep is already too wide. The only laces that work are the Alden ones or the 120 cm 150 cm ones from Laccico.

3. I sort of feel like this is in the ballpark of the Alden modified last in shape, but the instep room is far less in this last.

4. The sole is a lot sleeker and smaller at the waist than the 1757 Higgins.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's interesting how some on here can feel higher instep volume, while I feel no improvement at all from the 1757. Is it a dud pair I got? I kind of doubt it. Both boots feels the same. I couple of interesting things I noticed about this olive Landon:

1. My heel to ball is already slightly behind the widest part of the last. Similar to the 201 in that regard. Going up 1/2 size might cause issues with that (or maybe not).

2. I cannot use 55 inch boot laces because the instep is already too wide. The only laces that work are the Alden ones or the 120 cm ones from Laccico.

3. I sort of feel like this is in the ballpark of the Alden modified last in shape, but the instep room is far less in this last.

I'm never touching Modified then...
I had too much volume at 11EEE, but decided I couldn't live with the crunch (I don't get that in HM 11EEE). To me the Landon last feels most like Barrie.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2. I cannot use 55 inch boot laces because the instep is already too wide. The only laces that work are the Alden ones or the 120 cm ones from Laccico.

I have many Landons and more HM’s. The Landon fits perfectly, while my HM’s are noticeably tighter all around.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From comparing the top-down photos of the Landon to the Higgins Mill, one would surmise that the heel fit is narrower. This would come as a surprise to me as I find the heel to be adequately narrow already on the Higgins. I have avoided the Landon based on tales of a tall instep.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
From my personal experience: the Landon has less room in the instep than the Higgins. The landon certainly has more room in the toe box but I definitely miss the extra room the Higgins has.

bemk

Reaction score
Hey you kind people out there: Thank you from the heart for your support and sharing your experience! ?
Means a lot to me, especially as this is the first time I order a boot I haven't worn before, not to mention that this pair travels across the ocean.

I finally decided on a Landon US 9.5, Mahogany btw. I had already ordered this boot in US 9 yesterday but with my growing doubts I had phoned with AE while I asked you my questions here. I had much time as I was waiting for almost 40 minutes on the phone until I was in line. Probably it was a good omen that the name of my AE supporter was Allen.
They could not offer a change of an order, but he kindly cancelled mine and so now, many hours later, I finally went US 9.5.

Why? Well, I went to my forgotten cabinets and found an old Hilfiger boot marked US 9, which had a good fit. And an old Strellson boot marked EU 43 which was borderline.
Then I picked up the only one of my many RMWs that is AU/UK 9/US 10 according to RMW and this is one beaten boot that I only use in really cold days with the thickest socks I have and then it's still comfortable and not overly long.

And then I remembered a great call with Viberg, the man's name is Jesse. I want to note that no matter how nice and supportive other folks I talked to had been, Jesse from Viberg really knows his stuff and the details of their individual lasts!
Jesse advised me to pick a 9 with their 2030 lasts, but Viberg's 9 equates to US 10. Boom! And this sealed my decision to go US 9.5 with the Landon.
(Btw, I would have loved to buy a Viberg boot. A befriended customer had one last time he visited and I was mucho impressed. Actually it was his Vibergs that inspired me to go Boots again. Problem is, Viberg doesn't offer EEE and Jesse told me that with Viberg 10 / US 9 and EE I still might experience tightness given I'm wearing an H-width with my RMWs. And I had too many shoes in my life which didn't work for me.)

Given my too-narrow-but-slightly-too-but-not-overly-too long Redwing Blacksmith US 9.5D and all other shoes I mentioned here and before and especially the call with Viberg, I'm pretty confident that 'my' Landon should be fine for me.
But after all and unless it's not near freezing I'm really a total Chelsea boots guy with my RMWs, I mean I have 12 pairs of these, so the Landon will be mostly used with not my thinnest socks.

Thank you all again and I will report back in a week or so.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hey you kind people out there: Thank you from the heart for your support and sharing your experience! ?
Means a lot to me, especially as this is the first time I order a boot I haven't worn before, not to mention that this pair travels across the ocean.

I finally decided on a Landon US 9.5, Mahogany btw. I had already ordered this boot in US 9 yesterday but with my growing doubts I had phoned with AE while I asked you my questions here. I had much time as I was waiting for almost 40 minutes on the phone until I was in line. Probably it was a good omen that the name of my AE supporter was Allen.
They could not offer a change of an order, but he kindly cancelled mine and so now, many hours later, I finally went US 9.5.

Why? Well, I went to my forgotten cabinets and found an old Hilfiger boot marked US 9, which had a good fit. And an old Strellson boot marked EU 43 which was borderline.
Then I picked up the only one of my many RMWs that is AU/UK 9/US 10 according to RMW and this is one beaten boot that I only use in really cold days with the thickest socks I have and then it's still comfortable and not overly long.

And then I remembered a great call with Viberg, the man's name is Jesse. I want to note that no matter how nice and supportive other folks I talked to had been, Jesse from Viberg really knows his stuff and the details of their individual lasts!
Jesse advised me to pick a 9, but Viberg's 9 equates to US 10. Boom! And this sealed my decision to go US 9.5 with the Landon.
(Btw, I would have loved to buy a Viberg boot. A befriended customer had one last time he visited and I was mucho impressed. Actually it was his Vibergs that inspired me to go Boots again. Problem is, Viberg doesn't offer EEE and Jesse told me that with Viberg 10 / US 9 and EE I still might experience tightness given I'm wearing an H-width with my RMWs. And I had too many shoes in my life which didn't work for me.)

Given my too-narrow-but-slightly-too-but-not-overly-too long Redwing Blacksmith US 9.5D and all other shoes I mentioned here and before and especially the call with Viberg, I'm pretty confident that 'my' Landon should be fine for me.
But after all and unless it's not near freezing I'm really a total Chelsea boots guy with my RMWs, I mean I have 12 pairs of these, so the Landon will be mostly used with not my thinnest socks.

Thank you all again and I will report back in a week or so.

I'm not really sure if you'd need a EEE viberg based upon what you are describing here... but there are EEE width and very high volume Viberg lasts. Check the Viberg thread here at Styleforum for more info.

bemk

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if you'd need a EEE viberg based upon what you are describing here... but there are EEE width and very high volume Viberg lasts. Check the Viberg thread here at Styleforum for more info.

Thank you! I would have probably (or even surely) bought a 2030 service boot in EE from Viberg in the size Jesse suggested. Problem is, the colours that attracted me were all sold out. And according to Viberg there is no return option for their boots from the 'monthly preorder' section. So if I should pick a Viberg, I will have to wait until they bring a model I would love to get.
The Landon is one sexy boot for me, not too casual, not too much work boot style, still a 'solid boot' but elegant. My upcoming experience with the Landon will surely help my decision should I consider a Viberg in the future.

(I must say that I find it a bit poor, that the majority of shoemakers do not offer dimensions for their shoes, RM Williams' size charts feature mm-data for their length as well as for their different widths. These data would have helped me a lot, especially since my only problem is wide feet, but otherwise the shape of my feet and arch is normal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads