• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the FR stamped on the sole stand for Factory Reject, Factory Recraft, or something else?

Allen Edmonds Winchester zipper boots in 9476 Burgundy Polished Calf (not cobbler) from 1985. These boots fit very well and get a lot of attention. Since it's been rainy/snowy weather for a few weeks now I've been wearing these a lot more. The pictures were taken when the weather was nicer.
View attachment 1711659
View attachment 1711660
View attachment 1711661
The date code suggests these were made on October 3rd 1985.
View attachment 1711662
View attachment 1711663

Beautiful! I own a pair of mid-80s Strands in the same leather and that shoe is just as eye poppingly red in person.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of shell cordovan shoes, my first pair of JR Rendenbach soles and the most expensive shoes I’ve ever purchased ($695), and I naturally wanted to wear them all the time. I got caught in the Vancouver rain on several occasions and they developed a white crust, almost like dried mayonnaise, on the shell just above the welt. I thought about posting pics but didn’t, I can only assume it was an accumulation of the oils that often come to the surface, and in this case caused by constant exposure to moisture. When I wiped the white crust off the shoes it left a black staining, which I really don’t care for on a new pair of shoes. From everything I’ve read shell is resilient and with wear will naturally change color, so I am endeavouring to not rotate my shoes but wear these all through the winter to see what happens. Obviously they are maintained with cedar shoe trees and brushed weekly with occasional Saphir cordovan cream. I am particularly curious if the black staining will fade. Sort of a mission to test the durability of shell and JR Rendenbach soles. My shoes don’t really get exposed to much, just 1.2 km (.75 miles) walk to work then I’m in my office all day. No snow or salt just a lot of rain. So let’s see what happens, my understanding is shell is long lasting and low maintenance and the Mac Neil obviously has a reputation for their sturdiness.

Thanks for the nice write up.

Shell is a killer material, but even with the shoe-treeing every evening, the shoes won't properly dry between wearings.

I for one will be curious to see what happens after all that wear so quickly. What is oft recommended for heavy wear is at the very least alternate shoes between days. You could do the experiment 2 pairs of shoes.

What I mean: MacNeil on Monday, X (other shoe) Tuesday, MacNeil Wednesday, X Thursday and on and on. That way you will still get very heavy wear quickly, but you let the shoes, lining, etc all rest and dry full between wearings.

You could pick up a cheap pair of AE calfskin shoes to alternate if you wanted so you don't have to SHELL (hehe) out more $$$ for the X/off day shoes.

Cheers

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the FR stamped on the sole stand for Factory Reject, Factory Recraft, or something else?

Allen Edmonds Winchester zipper boots in 9476 Burgundy Polished Calf (not cobbler) from 1985. These boots fit very well and get a lot of attention. Since it's been rainy/snowy weather for a few weeks now I've been wearing these a lot more. The pictures were taken when the weather was nicer.
View attachment 1711659
View attachment 1711660
View attachment 1711661
The date code suggests these were made on October 3rd 1985.
View attachment 1711662
View attachment 1711663

Those are big pimping! All we need are the rest of the Beatles and you can rock out!

Killer shoes and makeup!

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope you get them soon, which model did you get?
But for AE to declare 25% off site wide and then remove all shell is disingenuous.
I get where you're all coming from, and I'll pass your notes along regarding the verbiage that you aren't loving. There isn't anything nefarious going on here though, and I want to point that out. Horween limits the amount we can discount shell cordovan, which is why you never see it discounted below a certain threshold. Removing it from the site temporarily makes it easier for us to execute a blanket 25% off, and was ultimately in efforts to avoid messaging confusion. We haven't stopped making shell shoes, and you can still certainly order them through a store during the sale, but the 25% off won't be applied. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is nippy, so moleskin and

AE Dundee chukkas in chili shell cordovan on double JR soles...

20211129_130459.jpg
20211129_130511.jpg
20211129_130523.jpg

...with AE socks and belt.

MrOxford

Reaction score
I get where you're all coming from, and I'll pass your notes along regarding the verbiage that you aren't loving. There isn't anything nefarious going on here though, and I want to point that out. Horween limits the amount we can discount shell cordovan, which is why you never see it discounted below a certain threshold. Removing it from the site temporarily makes it easier for us to execute a blanket 25% off, and was ultimately in efforts to avoid messaging confusion. We haven't stopped making shell shoes, and you can still certainly order them through a store during the sale, but the 25% off won't be applied. Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Just a few thoughts.

1. Why not import shell cordovan from other tanneries? Viberg is importing shell cordovan from other tanneries in Europe.

2. Can you expand your customization options? LEED and MacTavish models with better selection of leather? Work out the price you can live with.

3. How about a monthly made to order for shoes enthusiasts? Again work out a price you can live with.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just listed a 9D chocolate suede Higgins Mill from the trunk show in the BST thread if anyone's interested.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With talk of TS shoes and boots arriving sooner than later, what are the best options for a natty (-ish) belt? TIA.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With talk of TS shoes and boots arriving sooner than later, what are the best options for a natty (-ish) belt? TIA.
Would a whisky work for you?

Shout out to our friends at Ealdwine in Raleigh!

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts.

1. Why not import shell cordovan from other tanneries? Viberg is importing shell cordovan from other tanneries in Europe.

2. Can you expand your customization options? LEED and MacTavish models with better selection of leather? Work out the price you can live with.

3. How about a monthly made to order for shoes enthusiasts? Again work out a price you can live with.

Not all shell cordovan is made equal, in quality and appearance. It is generally accepted that Horween shell is the best out there by a fair margin, but some of the other tanneries have different colors and properties to their shell.

I would also guess that AE has a good contract with Horween and doesn't realistically sell enough shell to pull from a different source for their 4 offered shell colors. Saying that they would sell more if it was discounted more is a really lame excuse as well considering you could be getting an inferior product that ultimately doesn't make AE much money anyway.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the khaki grain McTavishes again today. They are very comfortable to wear when I am going to be walking around a lot.

IMG_7924.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures.

IMG_7925.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, took the two iPhones to a cell phone repair kiosk in a mall and had the wrist strap moved to the new iPhone SE and then went to Claudine Kitchen & Bakeshop and had a Boulevard Harvest Cranberry Cobb Salad.

IMG_7939.jpeg

The other side of the salad. (I ate the whole thing.)

IMG_7942.jpeg

For those who want still more food pictures, some of the baked goods at Claudine.

IMG_7946.jpeg

On the off chance anyone wants still more, some more of the baked goods at Claudine.

IMG_7945.jpeg

For those who have scrolled this far and are wondering where the mall Christmas Tree picture is, the Christmas Tree at Westfield Fashion Square.

IMG_7938.jpeg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Wore the khaki grain McTavishes again today. They are very comfortable to wear when I am going to be walking around a lot.

View attachment 1712000

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures.

View attachment 1712001

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, took the two iPhones to a cell phone repair kiosk in a mall and had the wrist strap moved to the new iPhone SE and then went to Claudine Kitchen & Bakeshop and had a Boulevard Harvest Cranberry Cobb Salad.

View attachment 1712002

The other side of the salad. (I ate the whole thing.)

View attachment 1712007

For those who want still more food pictures, some of the baked goods at Claudine.

View attachment 1712008

On the off chance anyone wants still more, some more of the baked goods at Claudine.

View attachment 1712009

For those who have scrolled this far and are wondering where the mall Christmas Tree picture is, the Christmas Tree at Westfield Fashion Square.

View attachment 1712010

Great tie, looks like Brooks Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads