• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Everyone please hellllllp!

Color: I am pretty set on Natty. Been waiting for it for a while.

Style: The more causal lean of natty shell plus my limited need for more formal shoes has me leaning towards boots. With 4 or 5 HMs, including natty CXL, not sure I need another HM. With a low volume foot, worried the Landon won't fly (plus I have a BG1A that fits decently well). That leaves me with the Freeport.

Am I crazy?? Can't say I love the Freeport, nor the idea of a natty Freeport, but can't see myself sitting this TS one.
In a similar boat here. Natty looks great, but is really casual. HM seems the obvious choice (I own no HMs, so might be my pick). If you have too many of those, the Freeport would be logical. But at the same time, I'd think those patterns would be well suited for the marbled black. The special shell in this show scream casual, but there's really just the boots for that.

If you can fit in one, the Randolph in natty would be *chef's kiss* level of good, though a pretty specific niche in one's wardrobe.

If nothing in natty piques your interest, marbled black Strand would be a tempting choice. The only thing is that it comes with black welt and edge, which is... just fine. Shame we can't get it in the buff or whiskey welt/edge combo and matching stitching. With some tan laces, that would knock it right out of the park.
Natty Randolph is my pick #1. I can't wear a Landon or a Freeport (narrow low volume feet), so HM is the only boot option available to me this TS. I may grab a Natty HM with a late round TS pick, but I have 3 of them, all shades of brown, so...its not exactly a need.

VintageZealot

Reaction score
I mostly post in the vintage shoe topic but since these are Allen Edmonds I figured they would belong here too.

Allen Edmonds Polos in 8274 Black & Burgundy Polished Cobbler from 1984. Not a particularly rare model but it is a saddle spectator!
The sunlight in these pictures highlights the creases in the finish more than usual, they're much less noticeable in person. I think out of all of my shoes these have gotten the most compliments so I don't think people notice that very much.
20211019_164813 - Copy.jpg
20211019_165005 - Copy.jpg
I suspect these were factory recrafted at some point since the soles use a newer logo than the one found inside and are stamped with an R. At least I assume that's what the R stands for?
20211019_165203 - Copy.jpg
The date code implies these to have been made around February 20th 1984.
20211019_165335 - Copy.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few pairs and so I haven’t worn them as much as others may would by this point, but I would estimate that they have 60 wears on them. I actually probably need to send them in to get the heel stack taken care of.

I am very rigorous in brushing and treeing between every wear.

-Mike

Yeah, they look almost brand new. Wow.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered my first pairs of Higgins Mill boots. Ordered the snuff and burnt sugar suede. Both were delivered today but I have questions concerning the quality. First looking at the snuff, is it common to have bald spots? I tried brushing the nap but made no difference.
View attachment 1691259
View attachment 1691260

The burnt sugar looks like the stitching machine removed sections of the nap.
View attachment 1691261

I haven't seen these issues with my other pairs of suede boots from other manufacturers. ?‍♂️
I posted a picture of my light brown/burnt sugar HM's back on page 686. They are not waxed I don't think.

Thanks, I see the post now. The burnt sugar name threw me off as AE calls it light brown. The color looks great I think! I don"t mind the minor blemishes as it's not a dress shoe.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Branding aside, how many of you have actually tried on the Freeport? I brought in a suede pair and the tag makes the tongue suede very, very stiff. I'm having visions of painful torn up shins until the tag softens... or my shins toughen up.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted brown/snuff suede HMs, not these mangy hides. If the website had accurate descriptions instead of the Kudu, then the Premium Repello weatherproof suede (still on the site) I would have ordered something else on deal day.
I do have this exact leather in a pair of liverpools but I knew what I was getting.

My closet is full of AE shoes, and only one pair came from eBay.
Some of those new shoes were blue diamonds, and some of those new shoes were not. Your new suede Higgins Mill boots are pure dog ****.
I'm sorry, shoe brothers. I'm not going to sugarcoat the BS.

ptfly

Reaction score
My closet is full of AE shoes, and only one pair came from eBay.
Some of those new shoes were blue diamonds, and some of those new shoes were not. Your new suede Higgins Mill boots are pure dog ****.
I'm sorry, shoe brothers. I'm not going to sugarcoat the BS.
I had them out of the box for a few minutes and then packed up sent them on their way.
The website still shows Premium Repello weatherproof suede for the snuff, loden and light brown. If these aren't all the same leather why are they listed as one style and one description? Misleading.
I had already made space in the shoe closet and new strings order. Guess I will save that space for a decent brown suede boot once I find one.

SumDude

Reaction score
Thanks, I see the post now. The burnt sugar name threw me off as AE calls it light brown. The color looks great I think! I don"t mind the minor blemishes as it's not a dress shoe.

They call it light brown on the site but the invoice says "BRNTSGR". ?‍♂️

SumDude

Reaction score
I had them out of the box for a few minutes and then packed up sent them on their way.
The website still shows Premium Repello weatherproof suede for the snuff, loden and light brown. If these aren't all the same leather why are they listed as one style and one description? Misleading.
I had already made space in the shoe closet and new strings order. Guess I will save that space for a decent brown suede boot once I find one.

Yeah, I bought laces too. I also purchased extra shoe bags (thinking will come with only 1 like before), belts to go with and shoe trees.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My brother, I'm sorry you have to endure the nasty disappointment.
Wal-mart sells $30.00 boots that look better than that HM suede garbage (and I love the HMs). If AE wants to stay in business, they better focus on the details (or they will be gone in 2.5 years).

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Branding aside, how many of you have actually tried on the Freeport? I brought in a suede pair and the tag makes the tongue suede very, very stiff. I'm having visions of painful torn up shins until the tag softens... or my shins toughen up.
I tried them on in store. A half size down fit reasonably well (especially in suede). Didn’t notice any issue with the tongue, but only had them on a couple of minutes.
this might be heresy, but I’m not sure it’s quite my style. Seems like it should be a relative to the Portland, but vastly different in execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads