• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are waxed. No idea if it is Stead or not. I just wanted a plain pair of suede. Maybe the olive pair is but I am not going to play the wait and see game. The landons come in plain snuff suede but it would be another 3 weeks to get my size plus I don't love the toe cap and back trim in regular leather.
Returning today. Still shaking my head on this one :confused2:
Based on the pictures @Adhazem posted, the Loden suede looks clean and quite nice. If the light brown suede comes waxed I may actually be excited about it though.

That "Caper" suede on the Freeport and Patton boots looks to be a nice shade but I wonder if it would have strange greenish hues in person. If going green IMO, Loden all the way.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portlands:
CA53CA0F-B8DB-4ABB-BEE1-99B6573F9360.jpeg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trunk Show Host Store Spotlight: NASHVILLE!

I had the pleasure of having a brief interview today with one of our most knowledgeable Assistant Managers, Emily from Nashville! Emily was brought onto the Music City team by Kenard, our Nashville Store Manager. They also work alongside Cody, who actually used to manage our Denver location! The Nashville team has a knack for product knowledge and making everyone feel like part of the family, so I hope you'll consider calling, emailing, or paying their store a visit for the Trunk Show!

Kenard's in-store event will be held on Friday Oct. 29th from 5pm to 8pm, though you can place your order with this location from opening.

? [email protected]
☎ 615-928-9118

A: Tell me a little about your team!

Emily: "Kenard, Cody and I have worked together for several years. In addition to supporting each other, we thrive on connecting with our clients and supporting them, no matter where they are in life or what they need from us."

A: What style and color combinations are you most excited for this Trunk Show?

Emily: "We’re most excited about the Landon boot – it was an instant classic when it came out last year in calf and the Shell Cordovan rendition really brings it to life. And Natural! It’s classic, yet complex"

Resized_20211023_184557.jpg

Note: I'll be posting about a host store every so often leading up to their event, so you can get to know some of our resident dream teams. Remember, you can place your order with any store (even if they aren't a host store) but if you don't have a go-to team, consider one of these amazing locations, either in person or remotely via phone or email.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Based on the pictures @Adhazem posted, the Loden suede looks clean and quite nice. If the light brown suede comes waxed I may actually be excited about it though.

That "Caper" suede on the Freeport and Patton boots looks to be a nice shade but I wonder if it would have strange greenish hues in person. If going green IMO, Loden all the way.

I just snapped some more pictures. Having worn them a couple of times I will say the suede does not seem like super high quality compared to my other suede shoes. Better than a pair of AE strandmok suede I had ordered and returned 5 months ago. My issue with those was just the sowing was bad and all over the place. My Higgins has some areas of spotting and wear that I didn’t notice when they were out of the box but can see some in my pictures from the other day. I’m not too mad at it for $250 tbh although mine was $300 with the dainites. I’ve only worn them a couple times and will know a lot more with more wears. I also didn’t treat with water repellant because they had a sticker or tag that said weather resistant or something in that line.

Today’s pictures are after some good brushing and an eraser attempt. I do have suede shampoo that I can try too when they get a little dirty. Just in comparison with my cobbler union suedes the cobbler union seem to be better but that’s on a subjective touch/look opinion.

E5391ABF-1064-404E-A6B4-E99562CE8F43.jpeg
0376F9AC-08EF-4CDE-8327-09312FDA4EA5.jpeg
17A15588-17E9-4DA2-AC9A-19A20E2F5DFA.jpeg

So from a couple feet away they look great.

4DF45982-E604-424D-957B-D01BE3D1D3EA.jpeg
223A6D2B-D82E-489A-A272-56FC0641D952.jpeg
19BB3442-2046-48CD-B141-873066831356.jpeg
21B40C3E-B499-4D62-B83E-DDED1D4E356B.jpeg

Most of the worn areas are in the back where no one will see them which is why I don’t care. I will keep an eye on the spots on the front though. Either way I’ll plan to wear the crap out of it and resole when the time comes.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Landsharks today! I really didn’t like the OEM laces on these (too fat and looked dark brown), so swapped them out. Took the extra pair of laces - black, flat/boot-thin pair shipped from some Grant Stone Ottowa boots - and they were perfect! I know GS sells Guarded Goods laces on their site, so I don’t know if these are Guarded Goods that would have also come with their boots. Either way, I like them a lot and the boots look better.

0C03458C-65D0-47C2-9E7B-38164B2FF17F.jpeg

ABE9E4DD-5A23-48A7-863C-E0A4B9AEB675.jpeg

SumDude

Reaction score

I posted a picture of my light brown/burnt sugar HM's back on page 686. They are not waxed I don't think.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1692514
Trunk show a mere 72 hours away. Everyone have their order figured out?

No. Everyone please hellllllp!

Color: I am pretty set on Natty. Been waiting for it for a while.

Style: The more causal lean of natty shell plus my limited need for more formal shoes has me leaning towards boots. With 4 or 5 HMs, including natty CXL, not sure I need another HM. With a low volume foot, worried the Landon won't fly (plus I have a BG1A that fits decently well). That leaves me with the Freeport.

Am I crazy?? Can't say I love the Freeport, nor the idea of a natty Freeport, but can't see myself sitting this TS one.

Rithrin

Reaction score

Style: The more causal lean of natty shell plus my limited need for more formal shoes has me leaning towards boots. With 4 or 5 HMs, including natty CXL, not sure I need another HM. With a low volume foot, worried the Landon won't fly (plus I have a BG1A that fits decently well). That leaves me with the Freeport.

Am I crazy?? Can't say I love the Freeport, nor the idea of a natty Freeport, but can't see myself sitting this TS one.
In a similar boat here. Natty looks great, but is really casual. HM seems the obvious choice (I own no HMs, so might be my pick). If you have too many of those, the Freeport would be logical. But at the same time, I'd think those patterns would be well suited for the marbled black. The special shell in this show scream casual, but there's really just the boots for that.

If you can fit in one, the Randolph in natty would be *chef's kiss* level of good, though a pretty specific niche in one's wardrobe.

If nothing in natty piques your interest, marbled black Strand would be a tempting choice. The only thing is that it comes with black welt and edge, which is... just fine. Shame we can't get it in the buff or whiskey welt/edge combo and matching stitching. With some tan laces, that would knock it right out of the park.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think if someone goes for a natty boot (any of them), they would look amazing if you can get AE to send you a pair of those beige laces that the new natural cxl Freeport comes with with. If it were up to me, I would go for a Higgins, but that's just me.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm not sure I have the market cornered on crazy, but if you took a peek inside this melon, you'd see that the crazy runs deeper than usual.

But, considering a natty Freeport for this TS is definitely not crazy, given what you've outlined above. I love the HM, and I like the Landon, but the Landon definitely has more volume than the HM. If you're OK with the controversial branding tag on the Freeport tongue, you should think about your purchase this way: If someone asked you if you wanted to buy a natty shell Alden Indy with whatever type of sole you wanted for $725, you'd be crazy (or broke) not to jump on that. And, yes, I'm aware there are a couple of distinct differences between the Freeport and the Indy - heck, I'm wearing my Indy boots today - but, I think it's close enough to scratch that itch. Well, unless that itch is actually Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease, in which case, you should probably see a doctor.

Where was I? Oh, yes, trying to weasel you into a pair of natty shell Freeports. Do it! Dooooooooooo itttttttttttt! Don't forget, peer pressure stops once you give in.

Do it!!!

JRC

Reaction score
photos of my HM Loden with green Dainite soles (popular sole choice). like all of the other photos, mine have the lines next to the stitching and on the back. As far as I could tell no bald spots, but you can't tell from the photos. But on the sides of both pair, the outer side was not firmly attached the inner lining. If I had paid full price I would have returned them but since it is on the shaft of boot and will be worn with jeans for a casual look, no big deal for me. The suede outer was softer and a darker green than I expected, also surprised I got two boot bags instead of one!
IMG_0040D.JPG
IMG_0040D.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads