• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s a shine now!! My wife says I’m not allowed to mirror shine shoes anymore since it involves a lot of time and profanity on my end and seldom has a good outcome. ?
That is why my wife sleeps in the other bed.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Supposed to rain all morning. Yes, this shoe got polished right out of the box. The toe was too pink for me. BTW, this shoe has never seen wax.
5D7DC713-A702-4EF3-905F-28DCD5B7BEAF.jpeg

Adhazem

Reaction score
Supposed to rain all morning. Yes, this shoe got polished right out of the box. The toe was too pink for me. BTW, this shoe has never seen wax.
View attachment 1691160
Beautiful!! I still can’t figure out how to mirror shine. I bought all the expensive Saphir stuff and followed all the different recipes. The closest I got was a mirror on a left shoe and wax deposits on the right shoe around the brogue holes. I even stripped it and tried again and got the same results.
FC06254B-0D4A-4DC0-8E65-66F5CF7B952C.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful!! I still can’t figure out how to mirror shine. I bought all the expensive Saphir stuff and followed all the different recipes. The closest I got was a mirror on a left shoe and wax deposits on the right shoe around the brogue holes. I even stripped it and tried again and got the same results. View attachment 1691167
Have you tried hand application of wax and let it set for at least 30 minutes. Then get a damp polish cloth and just touch of wax. Get it cloudy with the damp part and then use a drier part to create a shine. Each layer has to end up shiny until you build the desired shine.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Have you tried hand application of wax and let it set for at least 30 minutes. Then get a damp polish cloth and just touch of wax. Get it cloudy with the damp part and then use a drier part to create a shine. Each layer has to end up shiny until you build the desired shine.

I have tried the water and wax dab thing. I’ve not tried letting it set for 30 minutes before. I’ll give it a shot.

How long does it take to build a high shine? Is it something you do over several applications like across days or weeks?

SumDude

Reaction score
Ordered my first pairs of Higgins Mill boots. Ordered the snuff and burnt sugar suede. Both were delivered today but I have questions concerning the quality. First looking at the snuff, is it common to have bald spots? I tried brushing the nap but made no difference.
Snuff Suede 01.jpeg

Snuff Suede 02.jpeg

The burnt sugar looks like the stitching machine removed sections of the nap.
Burnt Sugar Suede.jpeg

I haven't seen these issues with my other pairs of suede boots from other manufacturers. ?‍♂️

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have tried the water and wax dab thing. I’ve not tried letting it set for 30 minutes before. I’ll give it a shot.

How long does it take to build a high shine? Is it something you do over several applications like across days or weeks?
You can get quite a few applications in an hour. But I will only do what I can in 30 minutes. Lastly, if the mirror shine eludes you. CHEAT. Use a nylon to smooth out your wax on a base coat. On CXL or steer hides, use some Cordovan creme. My Rudolf is the cheaper upper. Just steer hide. The cap toe was pale. I used Burgundy Cordovan creme, let it dry and gave it the damp cloth mirror shine motion. Just one application per year and you have a lasting shine. Your pair looks like one cap has larger pores than the other. But once you put on a good base coat, the mirror shine will come. It is like kissing a girl, not too hard and not too soft when you do the circular motion.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ordered my first pairs of Higgins Mill boots. Ordered the snuff and burnt sugar suede. Both were delivered today but I have questions concerning the quality. First looking at the snuff, is it common to have bald spots? I tried brushing the nap but made no difference.
View attachment 1691259
View attachment 1691260

The burnt sugar looks like the stitching machine removed sections of the nap.
View attachment 1691261

I haven't seen these issues with my other pairs of suede boots from other manufacturers. ?‍♂️
There is nothing that you can do for bald spots. There is nothing to raise up. If I have a suede pair that I made bald, I will wax the entire shoe, but these are new and it will never look right.

SumDude

Reaction score
There is nothing that you can do for bald spots. There is nothing to raise up. If I have a suede pair that I made bald, I will wax the entire shoe, but these are new and it will never look right.
@SumDude I would probably exchange that one with the bald spot. I got a pair of seconds that had that same issue. But for firsts, I don't think that's what I would want to keep.

So you agree that both pairs should be returned? Very disappointed as they look like they would be pretty comfortable.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you agree that both pairs should be returned? Very disappointed as they look like they would be pretty comfortable.
Yes I’d exchange. I just exchanged a pair of Chapmans as they had a pronounced ripple and small abrasion on the liner.
You are paying for them do you should be happy with them.

Green Chapmans for today. Green boots two days in a row.
107F9D8F-38C0-406E-85EC-615709456D83.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I concur

SumDude

Reaction score
Yes I’d exchange. I just exchanged a pair of Chapmans as they had a pronounced ripple and small abrasion on the liner.
You are paying for them do you should be happy with them.

Green Chapmans for today. Green boots two days in a row.
View attachment 1691323

Unfortunately not happy with them and surprised these passed. Not sure I will exchange as still not in stock and would probably have to wait another 3+ weeks to be made again.

I'm a sucker for green boots. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads