• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided today was Casual Friday. And bring your dog to work day. Both good excuses to wear an Ashley weasel special. Funny - first pic to make this 100&sumthin pound pup look small.
20211022_120412.jpg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. Official answer:

Most of the welted uppers are cut and sewn in the DR. Uppers are sent to Port and the shoes are lasted, welted, filled, bottomed, finished and packaged in PW.

There are zero welted styles that are done completely in the DR anymore. None.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Finally, finally I snagged an Independence that fit me. Normally go for 11E but when pickings are slim, beggars can’t be choosers. Honestly I’m surprised how comfortable this 10.5E felt. Perhaps it’s the different last? The shoes arrived in a very acceptable condition unlike my hole-y Hopkinson above. Some squishing on the vamp and throat but I already got them in good sized cedar shoe trees. I am planning to condition and polish before the first wear since I can imagine the shoe has been sitting for a while and feels a bit dry.

E0FAF764-3903-4001-A3DC-96702E264371.jpeg
3E2F6DEB-60D8-4C02-8DE3-8AD891AF9ABA.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Strands have arrived. Did a nice clean and shine last night.

I now understand the insole / poron controversy. They feel good for 50 bucks, but I probably wouldn’t have paid full price. I’m wearing a thinner sock today with good success on their test drive…

D1842D9A-8A54-4D58-AE7B-4A9FEB2A9975.jpeg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Strands have arrived. Did a nice clean and shine last night.

I now understand the insole / poron controversy. They feel good for 50 bucks, but I probably wouldn’t have paid full price. I’m wearing a thinner sock today with good success on their test drive…

View attachment 1690359
Let me guess - a little tight around the toes and the top of your foot is rubbing against the toe/vamp area?

Anyway they look good.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Finally, finally I snagged an Independence that fit me. Normally go for 11E but when pickings are slim, beggars can’t be choosers. Honestly I’m surprised how comfortable this 10.5E felt. Perhaps it’s the different last? The shoes arrived in a very acceptable condition unlike my hole-y Hopkinson above. Some squishing on the vamp and throat but I already got them in good sized cedar shoe trees. I am planning to condition and polish before the first wear since I can imagine the shoe has been sitting for a while and feels a bit dry.

View attachment 1690336 View attachment 1690337

There was a video posted here recently about this topic that rather vehemently stated that there is no reason to do that to a brand new shoe, even if it has been sitting in a store/warehouse for a couple years. Dude made it sound like it could actually be ruinous for some shoes to do that to them although I'll admit I got interrupted several times while watching the video and don't quite remember his rationale for why that would be the case.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
There was a video posted here recently about this topic that rather vehemently stated that there is no reason to do that to a brand new shoe, even if it has been sitting in a store/warehouse for a couple years. Dude made it sound like it could actually be ruinous for some shoes to do that to them although I'll admit I got interrupted several times while watching the video and don't quite remember his rationale for why that would be the case.

It would not ruin the shoe and there is nothing wrong with doing it, but truly unworn shoes do not need polish or cream. Shoes need moisture because the sweat inside the shoe, as well as the pressure from wear, weaken and dry the leather.

I’ve never applied moisturizer or cream to my leather couch or car seats…

Adhazem

Reaction score

This.https://youtu.be/O3NNsHHMgko

I actually agree with Justin. I’ve made new shoes worse with this. This one pair however just feels super dry and beat up. Maybe it’s been on a store shelf for a few years? It’s brand new just feel very dry. I will just do a 5 minute polish nothing crazy. Who knows maybe the brush will make it look new.

EdAno

Reaction score
Vibram style vs Dainite sole.

I bought these Strands without thinking much about the sole option.
Then I decided to put the Vibram style rubber sole on it.
What do you people prefer?

I do not wear my AE shoes daily and they will last forever either way but the reason I added rubber sole is because the leather is so slippery.

IMG_7639.jpeg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
? This just in: We are extending the RDA sale for one week! The sale will now end Monday, November 1. More time to get those savings in!

This won't affect in store trunk show events. They're still scheduled to kick off Oct. 29th (next friday), so connect with your stores and make sure they know what you have your eye on. No, trunk show product is NOT part of the RDA sale.

If you were planning on placing an online trunk show order, you won't see that go live until after RDA. Looks like stores will have a bit of a head start. Remember, we are all well equipped to help you via phone and internet. You don't have to be local! Let me know if you need help connecting with a team! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads