• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a stitch of sun today. HamilStrand will brighten it up.
0B417B1F-2CFF-427B-BDBE-82539C36FFC2.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If one would look at the FTC guidelines for footwear. There are a ton of rules regarding made in the USA claims. If you label a product in a manner that would suggest that the footwear is MiUSA, then you have made the MiUSA claim. Furthermore I have quoted to save time, what must be on a imported shoe. Now, the FTC does not review MiUSA claims but will only look into complaints. They even have a rule for my Woolymoks

“Imported products must be labeled the country of origin in a permanent manner. See the FTC Made in USA Policy Statement, to claim "Made in the USA". Products made of wool or fur are subject to disclosure under the following, respectively: Wool Products Labeling Act and Fur Products Labeling Act

Have you tried to read some of the Made in the DR stamps? Some styles are very difficult to find the stamp.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday!

I'm breaking in another pair from RDA today. Too many times, and I know I'm not alone here, I've let new acquisitions sit for months before an initial wearing. Not these, I'm a huge fan of the Daltons and have picked up a shell pair a year for the last 3 RDA sales. It's getting to where I'm going to need to start lobbying to have them included in the TS again, because I'm running out of standard shell colors I want.

Burgundy shell Daltons. Another virgin pair of JR soles bites the dust (are we counting down yet? Too soon?)

View attachment 1689089

View attachment 1689090
Yesterday in anticipation of the TS, I order the Freeport in a few sizes to test fit. Hoping the volume isn't too great and a pair in natty is in my future!

To share my excitement, MTO Burgundy Daltons with reverse welt from the good ole days. First time out of the box in a long time. Bloom wasn't terrible but these definitely need lots of brushing, preferably while sitting on the couch watching a ball game.

I'm ready for new laces in these and y'all are pros... What are your recs?
View attachment 1688383 View attachment 1688384
For whatever reason, I really love the ladyboy Daltons. Unfortunately the two that I had got my hot hands on were before I dialed in my 511 last sizing. Purchased them at 11 3E, which is what I wear on the 65 last and a couple other boot lasts. I have since found that these and other 511 lasted shoes are 11.5 2E. Otherwise I get too much toe crunch. So, I had sold my calf pair and about to sell my burgundy shell pair. I’ll be selling some awesome, barely worn 11 3E burgundy shell Daltons on JR soles in the near future. Direct message me if interested.

That said, here comes the RDA sale to the rescue! These on sale with the extra discount, I was able to purchase a new pair in the right size and now just waiting on them to arrive…and now the waiting game has begun ⏲

I only wish the AE powers would give in to @ae_ashley and the people here the ability to change welt and edging. I probably would have done something other than standard black like @middlepP!

Southwick

Reaction score
If one would look at the FTC guidelines for footwear. There are a ton of rules regarding made in the USA claims. If you label a product in a manner that would suggest that the footwear is MiUSA, then you have made the MiUSA claim. Furthermore I have quoted to save time, what must be on a imported shoe. Now, the FTC does not review MiUSA claims but will only look into complaints. They even have a rule for my Woolymoks

“Imported products must be labeled the country of origin in a permanent manner. See the FTC Made in USA Policy Statement, to claim "Made in the USA". Products made of wool or fur are subject to disclosure under the following, respectively: Wool Products Labeling Act and Fur Products Labeling Act

Have you tried to read some of the Made in the DR stamps? Some styles are very difficult to find the stamp.
No kidding. I was amused when Caleres went through that initial phase of labeling Allen Edmonds shoes as being “Made in America,” which could include the DR.

I think the previous owners deserve some credit for coming up with the “ae by Allen Edmonds” line to let the customer differentiate right away what was plainly made in the DR from those models they claimed were made in USA. Shame Caleres did away with that.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that any manufacturer would put "Made in the USA" on their products if they could. So instead Allen Edmonds has "handcrafted in Port Washington." It is my understanding that unlike "Swiss made" it is very tough to get something designated "Made in the USA."
I believe that it is all about marketing.

“Made in the USA” tells you where it produced, but doesn’t convey any message about how it was made or the quality. It can be any machine process or assembly line. The guy who flips hamburgers for a living might run that machine.

“Handcrafted” conveys a certain level of craftsmanship, made by hand by actual people.

For what it’s worth, AE does claim that they sell shoes “Made in the USA.”
D7C76E1E-97CA-4CCF-B402-FE5F587402BD.jpeg

End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics