• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, pals. Since I don’t use any other social media, I’ll share my good news here. Not shoe related…but Mrs. Vincent and I adopted Shirley and Monty yesterday. 8 month old brother and sister. Shirley was already checking out the shoe boxes this am. Might let them choose my pair for the day…
219EF31C-03A6-4CE9-8E8D-EC6E794DB9C5.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BFT9000 Any interest in these? They are 8 E, but they would probably fit us well. I can tell you that the 8 D Kiowa I tried on (the same one as this) fit pretty tight at the instep. E width might actually work well. They look great from the exterior, but I cannot tell much about the insole. $69 is pretty cheap.

That's a steal, great shoe.
IMG_5523.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, pals. Since I don’t use any other social media, I’ll share my good news here. Not shoe related…but Mrs. Vincent and I adopted Shirley and Monty yesterday. 8 month old brother and sister. Shirley was already checking out the shoe boxes this am. Might let them choose my pair for the day…
View attachment 1688896

Love those kitties. Buy them Allen edmonds from the rda sale. I'm thinking parks in black calf.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is Chicagoland's last gasps of temperatures in the 70s, so I might as well give the unlined suede one last run in the wild. Here are the unnamed (well, mine are unnamed, I think there might be others who have pairs with a name printed in them), unlined, unproduced, blue suede chukkas. These are pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a blue suede chukka, except that they're almost a 1/2 size too small. Thought I could cheat and go 11D, instead of 11.5D. But, much like that time I tried to cheat on my taxes, I still feel the occasional squeeze and can't tell if it's guilt or something real that's making me feel it. Since I don't have a soul any more (traded it for a Cubs World Series victory in 2016 - totally worth it!), I'm thinking it's probably real. Oh, and the soles on these are crepe. I probably wouldn't have gone that route if I were trying to create the perfect blue suede chukka but, hey, what are you going to do with a one-off like these?

Anyway, please enjoy them paired with the only clean pair of jeans I have at the moment. Laundry day is Saturday this week. Try not to be too jealous. I know you all want my life. I've got news for you, though, it's not all ill-fitting dad jeans and blue chukkas and dates with laundry. No sir. Sometimes I have to do dishes, too. Oh, and now that I'm over 50, it also comes with the occasional colonoscopy, too. And back pain. Lots and lots of back pain. Yup, and I think I might have looked at too many AE marketing pieces with Baker Mayfield in them, because I'm pretty sure after years of feeling it gradually fray, my labrum finally tore. So, we have that in common.

IMG_5464.jpg

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing @donkeyhoatie in trying to take advantage of probably the last nice day of the year in Chicagoland. So I too busted out some warm weather goods: Wearing AE Flagstaff and channeling my inner Monet:
2BDDCC7D-4736-498A-B80A-D79055548996.jpeg
BA3C0C3F-E1B8-4301-9D1F-ABA828F7BA78.jpeg
FEFCB9EB-D23B-493D-BF9A-B4B8861854CE.jpeg

Also echoing that middle aged back pain. As my dad used to say, “Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative”

He still says it, but he used to too.

Last edited:

steve2318

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the olive lombards? Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Cheers

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, @ValidusLA and @ae_ashley I had some spare time this afternoon between classes, so I decided to call up Allen Edmonds customer service.

The customer service representative detailed the MIUSA practices of Allen Edmonds.

Any shoes that are marked as handcrafted in Port Washington are made completely in the United States. Calfskin comes from Europe, cordovan from Horween (by way of European horses), kudu from Africa, etc. The soles and laces are also imported, such as JR soles from Germany, but he wasn't able to tell me what tannery the standard soles come from. When the raw materials are brought to America, they are all completely made in the USA in the warehouse in Port Washington, WI.

Unless the shoe says imported, which does come from the DR or Italy, the shoes are in fact completely constructed in the United States.

Basically they cut the hides, they stitch 'em together, they form them around the last, etc, all in the United States.

Any decline in quality some posters have alleged is likely just due to the fact that the workers are messing up, but they are Americans.

Unless this AE customer service agent is misinformed, these shoes are not stitched together in the DR. The only shoes that see the DR are the collections made in the DR, i.e. the handsewns and the AE by Allen Edmonds line.

Strands, Park Aves, 5th Aves, etc, are all completely constructed in the United States.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@JFWR Then the customer service rep should should get in touch w/ the CEO and educate him on future AMAs and public discourse. (Hint - I don't consider a cust service rep a necessarily reliable source).

Unsubscribing from this thread. Pls don't tag me here again. We can continue this discussion where it was started originally if you wish.

Also, some elucidation, because I think they are playing games w/ you. "Handcrafted" vs "Made in USA" being the dead giveaway. Key words in following "all footwear."
1634751311809.png

Last edited:

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday!

I'm breaking in another pair from RDA today. Too many times, and I know I'm not alone here, I've let new acquisitions sit for months before an initial wearing. Not these, I'm a huge fan of the Daltons and have picked up a shell pair a year for the last 3 RDA sales. It's getting to where I'm going to need to start lobbying to have them included in the TS again, because I'm running out of standard shell colors I want.

Burgundy shell Daltons. Another virgin pair of JR soles bites the dust (are we counting down yet? Too soon?)

Dalton_Burgandy_Shell_25.jpg

Dalton_Burgandy_2_25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads