• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a Hopkinson 11E delivered today. Will send back as the stitching is frayed and there’s a puncture in the upper. Here’s the kicker. I had the same shoe delivered a few months ago that I sent back for the same problem. Like the identical pair. So instead of trying to fix it -not really sure what you can do with a hole in the upper- or send it to the seconds AE offered it for sale again. I have been tryin g to get an independence series pair for a while this year and have not been fortunate. So when a Hopkinson 11E popped up I got stoked…until I unboxed. I will no longer be looking for Independence Hopkinson in black… View attachment 1688520 View attachment 1688522
The stitch fraying isn't a big deal and can be burned off in 5 seconds. The puncture though is a bigger deal and I think precludes it from even being an F2

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The stitch fraying isn't a big deal and can be burned off in 5 seconds. The puncture though is a bigger deal and I think precludes it from even being an F2
Causes no structural concerns where it's at, so seconds is reasonable. If there was a concern of it spreading, then yeah, dump it off on dabondo.

Adhazem

Reaction score
The puncture I get, but the stitching can be easily fixed with a lighter. The puncture would be a bit more work.

Agree. I would get tiny scissors and fix the fraying if it was just that. The puncture is a no from me. What I was surprised is that there was no effort to even fix the fraying when I sent back two months ago. I wonder if they even took them out the box.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Yep. If the bottom of the V is fat like a U, that's a sign the fit is not ideal. I've had that happen a few times when I bought the wrong size (hoping it would work). I would continue to check Ebay and other similar sites, as Jefferson 2.0 shoes do pop up often.

In better news I found a Jefferson in walnut in 10.5 E so will try that. Hoping for no punctures like my Hopkinson.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats to you and your family!!! Nothing better than this.

As far as crazy birth dates, I'm gonna come right out and say that I have ever last one of you beat. My wife and I have the same birthday. One of my kids has the same birthday as my niece. My daughter was born 2 days before my mother's birthday (who she is named after -- that was a bit wild right at the end of the pregnancy).... and that's all just immediate family. Our closest friends have a child that shares my wife & my birthday. That couple's other child was born four days prior to my eldest child.

Sorry for the delay on this! You've got everyone beat by a mile!! What in the world. That is some crazy coincidental stuff and the universe putting it all together or a laugh!!!

DawgPound

Reaction score
Sullivan Streets today for the win! I almost sold these, then came back around and decided to keep them. I have gotten my hands on a number of boots that I like and now boots are part of my regular rotation ?

C3BB6482-4BA8-4876-B463-CA9E6F89B8F8.jpeg

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sullivan Streets today for the win! I almost sold these, then came back around and decided to keep them. I have gotten my hands on a number of boots that I like and now boots are part of my regular rotation ?

View attachment 1688542
That might be my favorite AE boot, except I don't like the fake toe cap. I don't get it.

gantman

Reaction score
Why does Allen Edmonds continue to use an inferior shipping partner like FedEx? I have two orders that are over a week old and both are sitting in locations for multiple days with no movement. Here's the kicker: One order actually shipped from my local store, 15 minutes away (had I known this I would have just gone there and picked them up). Instead, the boots have now gone from city to city within the FedEx system for about 1.5 weeks. I sent a note to customer service and received a notification that they'll get back to me in....3-5 business days. After 14 AE shoes/boots and 11 AE belts I'm not sure I'm up for ordering more if they can't deliver in a more reasonable time-frame. Sorry, I hadn't intended for my first post to be a rant. In an era where 2-5 day shipping is the norm, waiting almost 2 weeks with no solid delivery info seems outlandish.
I wish you luck. My latest SNAFU with Fedex is still ongoing. One package has gone back and forth between Wisconsin and Indiana 16 times since 8/30.
Tuesday, October 19, 2021
1:49 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
12:47 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Monday, October 18, 2021
6:57 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Friday, October 15, 2021
12:44 AM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Thursday, October 14, 2021
7:08 AM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
5:03 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
3:18 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Monday, October 11, 2021
9:48 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Sunday, October 10, 2021
8:23 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Friday, October 8, 2021
1:15 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Thursday, October 7, 2021
10:53 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
3:59 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, October 6, 2021
1:46 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Tuesday, October 5, 2021
6:08 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
1:11 AM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Monday, October 4, 2021
12:23 AM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Friday, October 1, 2021
9:49 AM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Thursday, September 30, 2021
7:11 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
1:09 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
12:16 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Monday, September 27, 2021
12:39 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
12:39 AM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Sunday, September 26, 2021
12:38 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
12:38 AM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Saturday, September 25, 2021
12:38 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Friday, September 24, 2021
7:10 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Thursday, September 23, 2021
10:24 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
9:06 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
11:33 AM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Friday, September 17, 2021
2:07 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Thursday, September 16, 2021
8:01 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
3:10 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
3:06 AM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Monday, September 13, 2021
10:28 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
7:25 AM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
Friday, September 10, 2021
8:26 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Thursday, September 9, 2021
12:25 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
8:07 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
3:18 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Sunday, September 5, 2021
12:02 PM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
4:02 AM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Saturday, September 4, 2021
4:01 PM NEW BERLIN, WIIn transit
Friday, September 3, 2021
7:46 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INDeparted FedEx location
12:38 PM INDIANAPOLIS, INArrived at FedEx location
Thursday, September 2, 2021
11:06 PM FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WIDeparted FedEx location
3:19 AM FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
1:13 AM NEW BERLIN, WIArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
10:41 PM NILES, ILLeft FedEx origin facility
1:01 PM NILES, ILShipment exceptionBarcode label unreadable and replaced
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
12:09 PM NILES, ILArrived at FedEx location
Monday, August 30, 2021
3:00 PM NILES, ILPicked up

Olof69

Reaction score
That might be my favorite AE boot, except I don't like the fake toe cap. I don't get it.
Obviously they wanted to mimic the design of some English country boots, hence the typical side panels, imitation cap toes and pebble leather.

liquidjelly

Reaction score
Obviously they wanted to mimic the design of some English country boots, hence the typical side panels, imitation cap toes and pebble leather.
Quick question, I didn't know this pair even had a fake cap toe -- what makes it fake?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Another recent arrival here. I get a pretty limited selection of factory seconds, but I jumped when these came available. Light Brown Nubuck Landons.

View attachment 1688552

View attachment 1688553

Hey, those look familiar. Just realized that the pair I picked up don't have the loop on the tongue for holding the laces. Can't say I miss that feature at all. I also swapped out the dark brown, flat laces that came with them for a pair of lighter ones I had kicking around from my TS pair of HMs from a while back. Still not sure if I'll keep the laces, but the boots are definite keepers.
IMG_5462 (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads