• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Thank you! Those look pretty nice in that overcast light. Definitely has the potential to look gray, just as the loden suede does.

No one has really talked about the PA in marbled, but the photo Ashley shared looks amazing. If I do participate, I'm now torn between a Strand or Higgins.

View attachment 1687845

Last shell TS I picked up a marbled pair of Parks, thinking the lack of broguing and more relative open space would help show off the marbling. It does, to an extent, but I think the marbling is casual enough that it really clashes with the Parks' inherent formality. Then again, the marbled black comes with black welt, and in the sample photos looks quite dark and sleek. You can't go wrong with the Higgins in marbled black, but Strand has a lot of potential.

1634592130765.png

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, despite the formality issues, the PA is a better platform than the Strand for this material. The HM is also a solid choice. Given your apparent preference to shoes over boots, that might be your best bet.

I've never owned a pair of shell boots -- do they get hot in the winter? I notice shell shoes get pretty warm in the summer, but are pretty nice to wear in the cold months?

I originally thought the marbled burgundy would look too messy on the Strand. BFT's pair proved that I was mistaken.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a pair of shell boots -- do they get hot in the winter? I notice shell shoes get pretty warm in the summer, but are pretty nice to wear in the cold months?

I originally thought the marbled burgundy would look too messy on the Strand. BFT's pair proved that I was mistaken.

Obviously I'm biased, but I don't think the decorations on the Strand detract from the material. Having said that, I think a boot is probably the ideal shoe for marbled shell, since you get so much more shell to show off.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Thank you! Those look pretty nice in that overcast light. Definitely has the potential to look gray, just as the loden suede does.

No one has really talked about the PA in marbled, but the photo Ashley shared looks amazing. If I do participate, I'm now torn between a Strand or Higgins.

View attachment 1687845

I'd considered that as a really interesting option. However, they posted pics of the shells they'll be using a little while back and that made me shy away. Could be really amazing but it could also turn out to be really not.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Went with the country lawyer Brooks Brothers look today, and the shell Mac Neils which are making my other shoes jelly.
A2F6553B-BEA5-421D-84F6-739687C77AC2.jpeg
A15AE5DE-4520-4EE4-8C7C-DEC57093BEE0.jpeg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always great to see you pop in with your special pairs!
Thanks man. I should post more often, still not wearing my nice clothes regularly yet.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Neil Club (MNC), we are a well dressed but desperately nostalgic group, longing for the days before these wonderful shoes were discontinued. Aaahh 2019, the good old days, when you could go on to AE.com and pick up a pair of Mac Neils at significant discounted and the mere thought of paying full price was met incredulity and even contempt.

Those are absolutely gorgeous. The classic burgundy shell and I'm guessing a pre-JR sole?

Size 14 E - please don't ever step on me!

Please let us know how they fit. I'm a perfect 9D in calf Mac Neils but my shell Macs are a little big, which reminds me I need to pick up a leather insole tomorrow.

no FD Club? ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weight is distributed over a larger area, so if you’re going to be stepped on, better that it be someone with big feet. What you really don’t want is for a woman to step on you with stiletto heels.

My friend had his balls under a woman's pair of heels. He had to retire for the rest of the night forthwith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads