• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, the Natty, the Chili Randolphs!!
View attachment 1686207

Hey now, just a darn minute!! Weren't you the guy who told me the natty shell would look like the chili??:laugh:
If you are getting both, then ... I'll be right behind you :cheers:
I may have expressed that natty fairly quickly moves toward ravello, but I certainly did not discourage a potential shoe purchase, especially a shell cordovan shoe purchase!

There's a lot of rainbow between these two...

20210407_112723.jpg
20210322_100950.jpg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Forum Friends,

I had 45 minutes at lunch and since it was such a beautiful day I took a quick ride. Usually I wear black HMs to ride, but given the tight time available today I just went for it. The Hamiltons faired beautifully.

I live at the foot of Mount Timpanogos, so it's just a few minutes to the back country.

Hamilton_NHubuck_BMW_25.jpg
BMW_at_Timpanogos_60.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group....

I know we have both guitar experts around here and manufacturing experts around here. I was at my daughter and son in law's today checking out his new to him Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. He is pretty excited about it, he has always wanted one. I play vinyl much better than I play guitar, but it was a nice guitar.

So, if it makes sense for prominent guitar makers to run an in-house "custom shop", why doesn't AE run one?
What's holding them back? In a word, volume. AE manufactures more than an order of magnitude of units per year than Gibson. In order to sustain volumes that large and remain profitable while offering an affordable product, a significant amount of large batch specialized equipment needs to be in place for each process to yield outputs for many units. Also, automation.

At Gibson's production rates, I'd expect specialized equipment for sure, in support of small batch processing, and little if any automation.

xyzzy41001

Reaction score
Why does Allen Edmonds continue to use an inferior shipping partner like FedEx? I have two orders that are over a week old and both are sitting in locations for multiple days with no movement. Here's the kicker: One order actually shipped from my local store, 15 minutes away (had I known this I would have just gone there and picked them up). Instead, the boots have now gone from city to city within the FedEx system for about 1.5 weeks. I sent a note to customer service and received a notification that they'll get back to me in....3-5 business days. After 14 AE shoes/boots and 11 AE belts I'm not sure I'm up for ordering more if they can't deliver in a more reasonable time-frame. Sorry, I hadn't intended for my first post to be a rant. In an era where 2-5 day shipping is the norm, waiting almost 2 weeks with no solid delivery info seems outlandish.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does Allen Edmonds continue to use an inferior shipping partner like FedEx? I have two orders that are over a week old and both are sitting in locations for multiple days with no movement. Here's the kicker: One order actually shipped from my local store, 15 minutes away (had I known this I would have just gone there and picked them up). Instead, the boots have now gone from city to city within the FedEx system for about 1.5 weeks. I sent a note to customer service and received a notification that they'll get back to me in....3-5 business days. After 14 AE shoes/boots and 11 AE belts I'm not sure I'm up for ordering more if they can't deliver in a more reasonable time-frame. Sorry, I hadn't intended for my first post to be a rant. In an era where 2-5 day shipping is the norm, waiting almost 2 weeks with no solid delivery info seems outlandish.
These days UPS is not much better. And my daughter told me Amazon prime isn’t what it used to be.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
FedEx is terrible I have quit ordering from vendors that use them.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum Friends,

I had 45 minutes at lunch and since it was such a beautiful day I took a quick ride. Usually I wear black HMs to ride, but given the tight time available today I just went for it. The Hamiltons faired beautifully.

I live at the foot of Mount Timpanogos, so it's just a few minutes to the back country.

View attachment 1686262 View attachment 1686263
Beautiful mtn scenery there Mr. DP.
Is the boot the brown nubuck? Dang thats nice too. I'd like to see AE add the Hamilton to the Cordovan Collection, Hamilton seems to look good in all materials

to you or anybody: what is the recommended care for nubuck? Do you waterproof them like suede with the nano stuff?

Last edited:

Adhazem

Reaction score

I’m right there with you. Had a pair ship from Ohio to minnesota and take nearly 10 days. It’s also inconsistent. The pair arrived with another pair that shipped 24 hours prior to delivery from Wisconsin.

I don’t think it’s fedex being inferior as much as AE buying their cheapest shipping option. I’ve had fedex bring me socks from Japan in less than 2 days. Ditto shoes from Europe.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These days UPS is not much better. And my daughter told me Amazon prime isn’t what it used to be.

My only problem with the UPS option they use for shipping to Chicago is that I can't modify it for change to a pickup location--the only Fedex or UPS shipper that I use that won't allow me to do this. As for Amazon, my problem is that the algorithms and tracking devices they use for the drivers forces them into incredibly reckless driving. Do some research on the death toll that Amazon delivery trucks have racked up around the country. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads