• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumDude

Reaction score
Another update: the Higgins in loden is REPELLO, not reverse kudu suede. Wanted to flag that for you guys. Having this corrected asap.

What about the other 2 colors? Are they confirmed to be reverse kudu?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There aren't many sections of Styleforum that I check out regularly, besides this one, mostly because there seems to be a great sea of self-appointed twatwaffles out there who consider themselves the arbiters of all that is sacred in men's clothing. Sure, occasionally, I'll look at the Poor Man's Watch thread (because I'm poor and like marginally priced watches). Sometimes the Alden thread (because I have a pair of Indy boots). But, that's about it.

Because I was feeling masochistic, I was looking at a couple of rando threads last night in CM and read the thoughts and opinions of a bunch of pearl clutchers who ardently believe that oxfords can ONLY be worn with a suit. There are no exceptions and may God or Cthulu or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Odin or Wolverine or whatever deity/mystical figurehead you prefer have mercy on your soul if you disagree. You will get no mercy from them because what you're doing doesn't land within the rigid confines of some mythical golden era of men's fashion.

If that's what being a CM enthusiast is about, I want no part of it, and I'll stay here where the vast majority of participants are decent people. Then again, I kind of like knowing that I've made the collective eyeballs of the snobberazzi itch when I wear chinos and a polo shirt with cognac Dublin OG McTavishes on a Wednesday morning. Because if wearing these this way is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

View attachment 1684681

#TeamInformalOxfords

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't wear these today, but...

Green shell half brogues with chinos. #TeamInformalOxfords

IMG_20210929_2350296.jpg IMG_20210929_2350354.jpg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
There aren't many sections of Styleforum that I check out regularly, besides this one, mostly because there seems to be a great sea of self-appointed twatwaffles out there who consider themselves the arbiters of all that is sacred in men's clothing. Sure, occasionally, I'll look at the Poor Man's Watch thread (because I'm poor and like marginally priced watches). Sometimes the Alden thread (because I have a pair of Indy boots). But, that's about it.

Because I was feeling masochistic, I was looking at a couple of rando threads last night in CM and read the thoughts and opinions of a bunch of pearl clutchers who ardently believe that oxfords can ONLY be worn with a suit. There are no exceptions and may God or Cthulu or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Odin or Wolverine or whatever deity/mystical figurehead you prefer have mercy on your soul if you disagree. You will get no mercy from them because what you're doing doesn't land within the rigid confines of some mythical golden era of men's fashion.

If that's what being a CM enthusiast is about, I want no part of it, and I'll stay here where the vast majority of participants are decent people. Then again, I kind of like knowing that I've made the collective eyeballs of the snobberazzi itch when I wear chinos and a polo shirt with cognac Dublin OG McTavishes on a Wednesday morning. Because if wearing these this way is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

View attachment 1684681
Great shoes my friend.

I remember in the summer of 2020 when Brooks Brothers went into bankruptcy. There was a thread about BB and their history and BK and one gentleman couldn’t understand the emotional attachment some had for BB. He related a story of his first suit, which involved his father taking him to Kiton or Brioni for a perfect fitting, a day he would never forget. After vomiting several times it occurred to me that this fine gentleman was likely full of excrement, and not just is colon, but his entire torso, possibly spilling into his upper and lower extremities, and possibly extending to his cranium, and certainly leaking from his oral cavity.

I would expect such pretension from Ask Andy forums but not here. I swore I would never consider any other thread, aside from Vintage Shoes, which has some overlapping membership.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
The official Edward Wilson/The Good Shepherd 3 piece suit I had made at Syd Jerome in Chicago in 2010 and never wear because no matter how many times I have retailored, it simply never fits correctly.

The SMU chili cordovan Mac Neils, which I have worn almost everyday for two weeks, and in true cordovan tradition, I am yet to polish or even brush. Likely the only pair of JR soles I will ever own and one of the few gracing Vancouver’s sidewalks.

85169FE0-F73D-4784-936D-813D3A9F1393.jpeg
E178DF8B-E7B6-44CF-86A5-D71F1478F874.jpeg

ptfly

Reaction score
Hey! Nope, looks like Burnt Sugar and Snuff are Desert Oasis, which is a product from CF Stead. Its described as being a soft and chunky suede, intended mainly for casual shoes.
This is surprising. Is the snuff HM suede protected? I ordered it because it was Kudu.

SumDude

Reaction score
Hey! Nope, looks like Burnt Sugar and Snuff are Desert Oasis, which is a product from CF Stead. Its described as being a soft and chunky suede, intended mainly for casual shoes.
This is surprising. Is the snuff HM suede protected? I ordered it because it was Kudu.

Well that stinks. I ordered the light tan and snuff suede cause the site said they were kudu. Might be returning these depending on how soft they are.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about this y'all. I just noticed and confirmed, and I let you guys know as soon as it was. I'll ask to know more about the properties of this suede and inquire about whether they are protected or not.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Updates to questions I've been receiving recently:

-The tag on the Freeport stays. We tried cordovan tags and they are super thick and uncomfortable. Bad idea. We asked about removing them or embossing the cordovan itself, but that would require a TON of work to photoshop the tags out of all the marketing images we already have prepared.

- The default lug sole for the Freeport is the Mushroom color. As previously stated though, you're welcome to swap it.

- The Freeport does have a cork midsole.

- At this time we DO think we have more than enough JR soles to feel comfortable telling you we won't run out for the trunk show. If anything changes, I'll let you know asap. I get the sense that we have quite a stockpile.

- Did not expect the news about JR, obviously, so no meaningful plan of attacks as far as working with other companies, but I'm sure we will land on something worth your time.

Currently still investigating:
- How to clean and care for Carrera leather

Lmk if I missed any major questions you guys have had lately.

What are the other colors for the Freeport lug soles?

pbrandes

Reaction score

View attachment 1684681

First you gave us barn weasels, and now twatwaffles and snobberazzi - your contributions continue to enhance the AE Thread lexicon, thanks for that!

I happen to share your annoyance with humorless dress code nitpickers. Rules are made to be broken—their value in knowing them is so that you can break them creatively rather than cluelessly.

My McTavish pairings also skew very, very wrong...

McTavish 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics