• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not too early in the morning for bourbon, is it?
0A9A80CB-552F-4319-8CC1-2895417C00D0.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With yesterday's Trunk Show announcement, I thought it might be time to break out these burgundy mofos from the first TS a couple years ago. Technically, they're from just after that first TS because the first pair I got came with a flat, black welt (I didn't realize we could customize the welt). After about 6 months, it became apparent that the heel counters in my boots were faulty and @ae_ashley and team helped me get exactly the boot I wanted all along.

Here they are in direct sunlight that makes them look more like chili than burgundy, but they're totally burgundy, and in dire need of some conditioning. Also, this is my standard TS reminder to not sleep on burgundy. There's a reason that it's a classic. Yeah, natty is sexy as hell and the shaved versions we've had in the past have been weird and wild and awesome in all the right ways, but something about that burgundy speaks to me more than anything else. Obviously, I'm a strict traditionalist, and you all must follow me blindly. Those are the rules of this forum, and they are unforgiving.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

IMG_5420.jpg

EDIT: Of course, now that I'm looking back on the details of the announcement, I can see that welt changes aren't accepted on this TS and, since burgundy is a standard offering for everything in the AE cordovan collection, there's no reason to go that direction except if you're looking at the Freeport. So, forget I said anything. I mean, it's not that hard to forget things I say anyway.

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a few trunker questions....

1. What exactly is the AE commando sole? Familiar with Alden's commando sole.
2. Higgins Mill will be split reverse ONLY? No chance to get a flat welt?

Cambridge is a real classic. I love my pair and it was my first love with shell shoes.

Was hoping @ae_ashley could field the 2 questions when you have time. No rush :)

Nope, these: https://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/m...l?dwvar_SF4669_color=4670#q=strandmok&start=1

Inspired by @FatTuesday's amazing collection to take some more shell family pictures.

The king and his court.
View attachment 1676191

Or maybe the Round Table?
View attachment 1676192

Should stop while I'm ahead, otherwise I'll start writing fantasy-themed Strand fanfiction...

Just beautiful. It looks like you use a compass to make a PERFECT circle. The toe caps and their perfs are literally EXACTLY aligned; really an optical illusion. Makes for a cool photo!!!

KarlHungus

Reaction score
For those of you who the 201 fits better than the 65, what size adjustment in 65 generally works best for you? Same size, up one width? Any general consensus? I'd try on shoes at the store but unfortunately the closest store is about 5700 miles away ?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was hoping @ae_ashley could field the 2 questions when you have time. No rush :)
Ashley said no welt changes, not even color, so no changes from reverse to flat.
The commando sole is the Itshide full lug sole.
Here's my Bowerys with it. It's a bit more aggressive than Alden's commando, but not as aggressive as the Alden full lug sole. Very durable.
20181020_114653.jpg

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just beautiful. It looks like you use a compass to make a PERFECT circle. The toe caps and their perfs are literally EXACTLY aligned; really an optical illusion. Makes for a cool photo!!!
Dang! You're right! @BFT9000, I can't unsee the center circle effect.

View attachment 1676518

I tried my best to eyeball the toecap circle. Surprised I got it so close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads