• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@madhat
Interesting feedback. Mine were from a non-AE store that carries a few models. Not sure if the AE just sends them these butyl soles because of the weather in Hamilton or if for a run that was the standard sole on the Mac Neil. Either way they will be covered in a topsole tomorrow!

Great shoes I’m thrilled to have them.

Do those butyl soles really do better in the wet/snow?

I haven't ever tried to venture on icy grounds with leather soled shoes. @audog has told me some horror stories about him and his dog that made me never want to make the attempt.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Wow, natural shell??
FB0D2153-259B-419B-9CBB-8E90B4CE043F.gif

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I haven't ever tried to venture on icy grounds with leather soled shoes. @audog has told me some horror stories about him and his dog that made me never want to make the attempt.
DO NOT WEAR LEATHER OR DAINITE ON ICE....took months for the broken rib to heal.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real life I thought the same thing a couple of hours ago.

Maybe they'll not put the tag on the cordovan models? I really, really don't want a pair of cordovan boots with branding on them.

But then again: you have the Higgins and the Landon if you don't like these.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they'll not put the tag on the cordovan models? I really, really don't want a pair of cordovan boots with branding on them.

But then again: you have the Higgins and the Landon if you don't like these.
Looking into options with the team. Will report back. We don't want the tag to be too bulky but I'm not sure they want to omit it either. I'll let you know what we land on.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

They might not be better in the snow, but they might be better in less severe conditions. That isn’t to say they have the traction of a commando sole, they are simply a little better than the standard AE leather sole, perhaps more water resistant. Or possibly the butyl has nothing to do with the weather conditions. Reddit and Ask Andy are all over the place regarding butyl, including one poster who claims you cannot place a rubber topsole on butyl.

According to AE:
0D3A74C3-0007-4064-B5BF-97A391CBD4F8.png

jch1

Reaction score
Freeport in black marble with actual commando.

Question on sizing. Anybody have the Hamiltons that can compare sizing to Higgins mill? I'm a comfortable 11c in Hamiltons, not sure how that would translate to the Freeport last.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
DO NOT WEAR LEATHER OR DAINITE ON ICE....took months for the broken rib to heal.
Sorry to hear that. After 18 Chicago winters, a Vancouver winter is a walk in the park. Lots of rain but rarely snow and never ice or those giant slush puddles that would accumulate downtown. My scarves and gloves are largely ornamental and my winter coats useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads