• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to say thank you to AE and Ashley for offering both natural and marbled black shell. These two options prove that AE were really listening to the people on this forum. I know AE cannot accommodate all the requests people want here, but they deserve a lot of credit for responding with these two great colors.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I feel you on that one. First I paired down the list to shoes I can wear:

Park Ave
Strand
Freeport
Higgins Mill
Landon
Park Ave Sneaker

Then I thought about what colors I want from any of those: Natural, Marbled Black

I eliminated the Park Ave because it just wouldn't go I think for my outfits in those colors. I then eliminated the Higgins Mill because I am happy with my 1 shell HM. Then I decided which of the colors I would want for the remaining styles:

Strand (Natural, Marbled Black)
Freeport (Natural)
Landon (Natural, Marbled Black)
Park Ave Sneaker (Natural)

Now I just need to figure out which pair or two I will get. I doubt I will get two boots.
Replying to my own thread... Now thinking about

Landon (Marbled Black) w/ XL Henry maybe?

@ae_ashley what is an XL Henry?

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replying to my own thread... Now thinking about

Landon (Marbled Black) w/ XL Henry maybe?

@ae_ashley what is an XL Henry?
You'd find it in the Long Branch. It's a very light lug sole.
longbranch-3113-black-sole-web.jpg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting... It does seem to have very limited sizing available for a shoe that should be pretty much made to order.
Yes...very odd. I was just in store (Boston State) chatting about the trunk and finally had the chance to see the Cambridge in person (not in my size)...

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a few trunker questions....

1. What exactly is the AE commando sole? Familiar with Alden's commando sole.
2. Higgins Mill will be split reverse ONLY? No chance to get a flat welt?

Yes...very odd. I was just in store (Boston State) chatting about the trunk and finally had the chance to see the Cambridge in person (not in my size)...

Cambridge is a real classic. I love my pair and it was my first love with shell shoes.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh. Interesting. So its an XLite sole! I love those actually. Is it only in black?

I love that sole. I wouldn't dream of getting a MTO shell Strand with it, but I still love it. I think people really slept on the textured Strandmoks that were released with this sole a season or two ago.

Not sure if anyone is even remotely interested in natural shell cordovan - but if you are, here are some examples...

View attachment 1676084
View attachment 1676086

Natty shell Randolph & Strands are available once again:

View attachment 1676089

Wow, what a collection!

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the marbled burgundy, but then Strand King's pair proved that I was wrong. It could potentially look amazing if they mix the darker colors with the lighter pieces.

Obviously I'm biased, but I love how the brogueing and decorations on the Strand complement the random patterns on the marbled shell. Really the only negative is that with a boot you get an even bigger piece of shell with even more variation and color gradients.

Too bad marbled shell requests are off the table. I'd ask AE to find me the craziest piece of marbled black that they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads