• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili Mills today:
D40F40C3-93D1-47B4-94DE-065ECF1651F0.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...I miss the catalogs from last decade...were what inspired me to start collecting Allen Edmonds in the first place...Catalogs full of pictures of beautiful leathers shoes in every color and material, laid out side by side. No menswear models, and not a single sneaker in sight.

The (Strand) King has spoken.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is where the recent discussion of AE (i) reducing 201 offerings, (iI) reducing derby and blucher offerings, and (iii) eliminating the Independence, all intersect for me.

I have a high instep. The closest I can get to a good fit in a 5-65 last Oxford leaves a big V gap for me. The Indy line on the 201 was a fantastic option for me. It’s gone. Just about all “classic” dressy oxfords AE has left are on the 5 last. Many of the popular “casual oxfords” it persists in making (which is a bit of an oxymoron to me) - the Strandmonk and McTavish - are also on the 5 last.

Derby’s or bluchers on the 5 last, like my Badlands (Black Hills?), are fine but as pointed out up thread, AE derby/blucher offerings are shrinking in favor of things like the Strand-monk & McTavish.

Im glad I have my black Hopkinsons and dark brown ( remember dark brown??) Jefferson’s. They are great shoes.

I understand AE needs/wants to make a profit but for the shrinking (I guess) market for classic dress oxfords options, AE is pretty much a one last company. And it isn’t a flattering last for me. The seven works great for me but no longer a dress oxford option.

It’s like being a left handed guitar player (as am I) and walking into most guitar stores; lots of cool things to look at but nothing to buy.
Its not your main point, with which I agree, but McTavish is 201 isn't it? used to be

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is where the recent discussion of AE (i) reducing 201 offerings, (iI) reducing derby and blucher offerings, and (iii) eliminating the Independence, all intersect for me.

I have a high instep. The closest I can get to a good fit in a 5-65 last Oxford leaves a big V gap for me. The Indy line on the 201 was a fantastic option for me. It’s gone. Just about all “classic” dressy oxfords AE has left are on the 5 last. Many of the popular “casual oxfords” it persists in making (which is a bit of an oxymoron to me) - the Strandmonk and McTavish - are also on the 5 last.

Derby’s or bluchers on the 5 last, like my Badlands (Black Hills?), are fine but as pointed out up thread, AE derby/blucher offerings are shrinking in favor of things like the Strand-monk & McTavish.

Im glad I have my black Hopkinsons and dark brown ( remember dark brown??) Jefferson’s. They are great shoes.

I understand AE needs/wants to make a profit but for the shrinking (I guess) market for classic dress oxfords options, AE is pretty much a one last company. And it isn’t a flattering last for me. The seven works great for me but no longer a dress oxford option.

It’s like being a left handed guitar player (as am I) and walking into most guitar stores; lots of cool things to look at but nothing to buy.

I'm with you on most of this. It does seem like AE is consolidating a lot of models to the 65. I wore my Badlands again today because the 5 last works so well in bluchers for me. Back in 2016/17, it did seem like AE was offering more new models on the 201. I've already mentioned this before, but the 201 fits almost identical to the 65 for me. I know this is not the case for a lot of people on here, which I find fascinating. I would love to see more options on the 201 because it's a last I can trust.

Also, be careful with left handed guitars. I hear that because most manufacturers do not create them frequently, they are often not made as well or need a lot of set-up done to them.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
Lots of sneakers and boots in the new RDA catalog. 52 pages, of which 36 give-or-take are either sneakers or boots.

At least they dedicated a few pages to the Strandmok! And if you squint really hard, you can even make out a single walnut Strand.

I miss the catalogs from last decade. Pictures like this:
View attachment 1674796

and this:
View attachment 1674797

were what inspired me to start collecting Allen Edmonds in the first place.

Catalogs full of pictures of beautiful leathers shoes in every color and material, laid out side by side. No menswear models, and not a single sneaker in sight.
Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day we will get back there.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell an SF newbie how the trunk show works. I know other companies from Europe will come to the US and have like a 2 day show and tell sort of. Usually in NYC or LA. What about AE? Is it available online?
Hey! Glad you asked.

Twice a year we do what we call a trunk show. In February, the materials used are usually non-shell. In September, always shell. This year, we felt like we were rushing to get out ducks in a row so we opted to push the show back to the very end of October/beginning of November.

We give you a menu of sorts of styles, colors, soles, and sometimes a few other methods of customization to choose from, and usually several of the options are not typically available to you in our standard line. Within the constraints of that menu you can create something specific to your personal tastes. We usually quote 12 weeks, but some people see a quicker turnaround. There are no discounts of any kind, but there are also no upcharges for your special makeup. It's just $695 for shoes and $725 for boots...usual shell prices. No returns or exchanges, so this is not the time to take sudden gambles with size. Definitely square that away before ordering.

We choose a handful of "host stores" that hold mixer events on kickoff day and have physical samples for you to touch and look at, and the host stores always change slightly from event to event, but EVERY store is armed with a ton of photos and references so you are 100% crystal clear on what you're getting into before pulling the trigger, even if your favorite store isn't a "host". Lots of customers email and call in, so you don't even really have to visit anyone in person. Just support any store you like, and if you don't have one, I can link you with one.

Speaking of which...it's about that time. I should be announcing soon. Stay tuned!

Adhazem

Reaction score
Hey! Glad you asked.

Twice a year we do what we call a trunk show. In February, the materials used are usually non-shell. In September, always shell. This year, we felt like we were rushing to get out ducks in a row so we opted to push the show back to the very end of October/beginning of November.

We give you a menu of sorts of styles, colors, soles, and sometimes a few other methods of customization to choose from, and usually several of the options are not typically available to you in our standard line. Within the constraints of that menu you can create something specific to your personal tastes. We usually quote 12 weeks, but some people see a quicker turnaround. There are no discounts of any kind, but there are also no upcharges for your special makeup. It's just $695 for shoes and $725 for boots...usual shell prices. No returns or exchanges, so this is not the time to take sudden gambles with size. Definitely square that away before ordering.

We choose a handful of "host stores" that hold mixer events on kickoff day and have physical samples for you to touch and look at, and the host stores always change slightly from event to event, but EVERY store is armed with a ton of photos and references so you are 100% crystal clear on what you're getting into before pulling the trigger, even if your favorite store isn't a "host". Lots of customers email and call in, so you don't even really have to visit anyone in person. Just support any store you like, and if you don't have one, I can link you with one.

Speaking of which...it's about that time. I should be announcing soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks for the breakdown. No I definitely have my size nailed down after several pairs. I’m looking forward to what you guys will come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics