• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
I mean, let's not overstate things here.

Allen Edmonds has expanded their business into sneakers. I still see a lot of dress shoes being made, and they aren't getting rid of most models, though the lack of a LWB is shittty with the death of the McNeil. Admittedly, there are like, a friggin' bazillion LWBs in the vintage market. It seems everytime I look for vintage shoes, the only things available are LWB. I don't need a 5th LWB.

I honestly do not think I am overstating things.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the RDA sale catalog today.....Lots of sneakers, no thank you, hard pass on this one.
Allen Edmonds is starting to become very "Taft-ish", in my humble opinion. The direction they are heading must obviously work for them, but doesn't really suit my taste. My AE collection has dwindled down to 6 pair. Possibly I'll grab a Dundee in Chili shell cordovan, if it's available for the next TS. It just seems that the newer offerings don't offer that classic, elegant, prestigious look they once did. AE shoes used to look like "old money", to me. Lbvs! Now the styles are starting to look too "on trend" and disposable. My latest AE acquisition is a pair of possibly 20 year old Sheltons. It’s sad to say, but they don’t make’em like they used to.
2BD73166-399F-4DBC-B75D-33D5C0D20F7A.jpeg

Adhazem

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is starting to become very "Taft-ish", in my humble opinion. The direction they are heading must obviously work for them, but doesn't really suit my taste. My AE collection has dwindled down to 6 pair. Possibly I'll grab a Dundee in Chili shell cordovan, if it's available for the next TS. It just seems that the newer offerings don't offer that classic, elegant, prestigious look they once did. AE shoes used to look like "old money", to me. Lbvs! Now the styles are starting to look too "on trend" and disposable. My latest AE acquisition is a pair of possibly 20 year old Sheltons. It’s sad to say, but they don’t make’em like they used to.
View attachment 1674763

That’s a truly stunning saddle! Well done.

The $450 sneaker is hard to swallow. I hope it works out for them.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of sneakers and boots in the new RDA catalog. 52 pages, of which 36 give-or-take are either sneakers or boots.

At least they dedicated a few pages to the Strandmok! And if you squint really hard, you can even make out a single walnut Strand.

I miss the catalogs from last decade. Pictures like this:
1632543766948.png

and this:
1632543945811.png

were what inspired me to start collecting Allen Edmonds in the first place.

Catalogs full of pictures of beautiful leathers shoes in every color and material, laid out side by side. No menswear models, and not a single sneaker in sight.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not going to let some sneaker pictures make me not purchase a preferred boot or shoe. Landon possible. PA possible. We all should know how to sort through some **** to find a little gold. For all I know the PA is the **** others have had to sort through to find a sneaker in years past.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not going to let some sneaker pictures make me not purchase a preferred boot or shoe. Landon possible. PA possible. We all should know how to sort through some **** to find a little gold. For all I know the PA is the **** others have had to sort through to find a sneaker in years past.
Well said

PANJ

Reaction score
View attachment 1674763
First--those shoes are beautiful. I don't understand why Allen Edmonds can't offer a saddle shoe more often. I don't think they have offered a saddle since I began stalking shoes on the Allen Edmonds website in 2015.

Regrettably, it seems like the focus on sneakers and boots it taking its toll on AE's Derby and Blucher offerings, which is a shame, because these shoes a so versatile (and I just really like Derby shoes). Right now, if you exclude the clearance section, AE is offering 4 Derby/Blucher styles--the Discovery (their only new Derby), the Delray, the Nomad, and the Leeds. I hope AE has not given up on making shoes like the Rouge, or those Oak St. shoes posted above, or these Academies, etc.
1632571982744.png

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really dissapoiting AE is becoming a primarily leather sneaker company.
The direction they are heading must obviously work for them, but doesn't really suit my taste.
Agree with you both. Just hanging in there for the occasional trunk show at this point. They do make nice stuff when they choose to.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Agree with you both. Just hanging in there for the occasional trunk show at this point. They do make nice stuff when they choose to.

Can you tell an SF newbie how the trunk show works. I know other companies from Europe will come to the US and have like a 2 day show and tell sort of. Usually in NYC or LA. What about AE? Is it available online?

PANJ

Reaction score
First--those shoes are beautiful. I don't understand why Allen Edmonds can't offer a saddle shoe more often. I don't think they have offered a saddle since I began stalking shoes on the Allen Edmonds website in 2015.

Regrettably, it seems like the focus on sneakers and boots it taking its toll on AE's Derby and Blucher offerings, which is a shame, because these shoes a so versatile (and I just really like Derby shoes). Right now, if you exclude the clearance section, AE is offering 4 Derby/Blucher styles--the Discovery (their only new Derby), the Delray, the Nomad, and the Leeds. I hope AE has not given up on making shoes like the Rouge, or those Oak St. shoes posted above, or these Academies, etc.
View attachment 1674876
Haha--the shoes in my previous post are not the Academy, but rather the Alumnus. You'd think I would know the names of my own shoes. I think I confuse them because I regret not getting an Academy too, which was made in a beautiful natural CXL, much lighter than the natural CXL Allen Edmonds is using now.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying to compare the Fremont. Unfortunately the boots from the other A company tend to fit me like a leather bag.
706FE2BD-E113-48D5-B157-FF854D1F6658.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1674876
Nice shoes and Filson bag.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell an SF newbie how the trunk show works. I know other companies from Europe will come to the US and have like a 2 day show and tell sort of. Usually in NYC or LA. What about AE? Is it available online?
They pick 3 or 4 retail outlets for an in person trunk show, but you can participate online from anywhere of course. They will post pictures of the models and materials available in the Trunk show

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is where the recent discussion of AE (i) reducing 201 offerings, (iI) reducing derby and blucher offerings, and (iii) eliminating the Independence, all intersect for me.

I have a high instep. The closest I can get to a good fit in a 5-65 last Oxford leaves a big V gap for me. The Indy line on the 201 was a fantastic option for me. It’s gone. Just about all “classic” dressy oxfords AE has left are on the 5 last. Many of the popular “casual oxfords” it persists in making (which is a bit of an oxymoron to me) - the Strandmonk and McTavish - are also on the 5 last.

Derby’s or bluchers on the 5 last, like my Badlands (Black Hills?), are fine but as pointed out up thread, AE derby/blucher offerings are shrinking in favor of things like the Strand-monk & McTavish.

Im glad I have my black Hopkinsons and dark brown ( remember dark brown??) Jefferson’s. They are great shoes.

I understand AE needs/wants to make a profit but for the shrinking (I guess) market for classic dress oxfords options, AE is pretty much a one last company. And it isn’t a flattering last for me. The seven works great for me but no longer a dress oxford option.

It’s like being a left handed guitar player (as am I) and walking into most guitar stores; lots of cool things to look at but nothing to buy.

EDIT: McTavish is on 201 but the larger point remains

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads