• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton is on the 65. I have a few boots on the 65 and 201 and the Hamilton is definitely not on the 201. The 201 have the vamp space I like but feels longer and more narrow so I don't plan on getting anything else on it.

I do love my Dublin Tan Stirlings but I'd love them more on the 65.

AE should really do an updated and detailed page on their site about their lasts. It's the most critical part of how a shoe fits. A lot goes into making a shoe last you'd think they could take an few minutes and write something about it when they introduce a new one.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felt like a sand, MassDrop chukka kind of day today. They're not quite this tan in real life, it's just the sun confusing my iPhone - most likely because we hadn't seen the sun in a few days. Also including a triggering shot of the purely utilitarian Citizen Field watch I got off of MassDrop as a reminder of the good times when MassDrop existed as something more than just a place to get lousy electronic stuff. You used to be able to get lousy watches, too! Sometimes, they even had half-way decent watches! It really was a buyer's paradise.

I wish these chukkas were still available, so I could nab them in a couple more colors (blue and snuff and olive would all be nice). Once they stretched out a bit and I got used the feel of unlined (and unstructured) suede, it was easy to see why so many people liked them. Just a great, sorta-511-lasted chukka. I mean, yeah, they say it's on the 511, but it's definitely narrower than other 511s. If you ever come across one, nab it. If it feels weird at first, that just means it's working. Give it a few wears and you'll come around on it. I promise. And, if you don't come around, feel free to take it up with MassDrop.
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5411.jpg

michaeliany

Reaction score
AE should really do an updated and detailed page on their site about their lasts. It's the most critical part of how a shoe fits. A lot goes into making a shoe last you'd think they could take an few minutes and write something about it when they introduce a new one.

Totally agree.
While the pics beside each shoe last description on the site help, a side-by-side comparison much like what TheShoeMart provided here would be even better.
At least we’re fortunate enough to have @Neo1 ‘s takes on the lasts.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's very unlikely the Independence line is going to return anytime soon. Casual shoes are the thing now and most customers are probably looking to save money. But who knows, maybe they will release something as a webgem or MTO option? I don't think the 201 is going anywhere, as they just released a bunch of new McTavishes on it. It's a great last for me.

Adhazem

Reaction score
I think it's very unlikely the Independence line is going to return anytime soon. Casual shoes are the thing now and most customers are probably looking to save money. But who knows, maybe they will release something as a webgem or MTO option? I don't think the 201 is going anywhere, as they just released a bunch of new McTavishes on it. It's a great last for me.

I thought I was gonna get one of their last pairs, my first in independence. After waiting for a week for it to show up unfortunately it was not in a good condition. Frayed stiching, small but visible hole in the upper. I wouldn’t have accepted them as seconds so I sent back. I ordered what I was told the last pair in my size but that was lost in shipping or something and I got a refund. I keep going back to the site to see if anything pops up since their supply of those is always changing.
F3A68E7D-0459-419F-9994-C66562F378E9.jpeg
7474C7CF-91A0-4E09-BC7E-AA09B213F384.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I was gonna get one of their last pairs, my first in independence. After waiting for a week for it to show up unfortunately it was not in a good condition. Frayed stiching, small but visible hole in the upper. I wouldn’t have accepted them as seconds so I sent back. I ordered what I was told the last pair in my size but that was lost in shipping or something and I got a refund. I keep going back to the site to see if anything pops up since their supply of those is always changing. View attachment 1674552 View attachment 1674555
Are those actually misaligned eyelets to make the overlap???

Adhazem

Reaction score
Are those actually misaligned eyelets to make the overlap???

I don’t think so?The leather is just soooo soft I think it just leaned inwards but I could be mistaken. I did send them back.

Adhazem

Reaction score
The shoe and leather felt unlike any other Allen Edmonds I have. Like way softer.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really dissapoiting AE is becoming a primarily leather sneaker company.

I mean, let's not overstate things here.

Allen Edmonds has expanded their business into sneakers. I still see a lot of dress shoes being made, and they aren't getting rid of most models, though the lack of a LWB is shittty with the death of the McNeil. Admittedly, there are like, a friggin' bazillion LWBs in the vintage market. It seems everytime I look for vintage shoes, the only things available are LWB. I don't need a 5th LWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads