• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Excellent! Have yours held up well?

I bought a pair last year on eBay for $130, but I overpaid because they had extremely loose grain all over the vamp and everywhere really. I suspect the seller picked them up for less than half what I paid. But aside from the loose grain, I find them to be exceptional. I wore them yesterday and as I walked to work I thought to myself these have more cushioning and bounce than my beloved Mac Neils.

Every week I check eBay for a pair in 8.5D. I’m a 9 in the Mac Neil but the Boardwalks seem to run larger with more space in the toe. Where the shoe laces rub they leave a rust coloured patina.

I wholeheartedly endorse the Boardwalk.
BF35A1F7-4563-4A19-A570-30BB7B0AB7DC.jpeg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
@Vincent George

Here is a prior conversation regarding the Boardwalks, page before and after members provided some good intel:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Vincent George

Here is a prior conversation regarding the Boardwalks, page before and after members provided some good intel:

Thank you!
$77 bucks seems like a silly price to leave them there…

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Have yours held up well?

I used to see those all the time at Nordstrom Rack in 2017-19. The leather is the same as the brown Strandmok (with the red sole). There was an olive version of the Boardwalk, but I wasn't aware of it until it was too late. I imagine most people could fit into the shoe easily.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hint on RDA from the store. He thinks it'll drop on the 30th. I was in there to buy some trees. Sadly (and stupidly) AE is discontinuing the far superior tree, notice the difference in the heel, for the cheaper tree as the sole option.

shoetree-1015237-1015238-1015239-1015250-1015251-knob-top-web.jpg

shoetree-402-fulltoecedar-top-web.jpg

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
Hint on RDA from the store. He thinks it'll drop on the 30th. I was in there to buy some trees. Sadly (and stupidly) AE is discontinuing the far superior tree, notice the difference in the heel, for the cheaper tree as the sole option.

shoetree-1015237-1015238-1015239-1015250-1015251-knob-top-web.jpg

shoetree-402-fulltoecedar-top-web.jpg
Is the top one the superior one?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the top one the superior one?

I think so. I have both and the top one really fills out the heel of a shoe perfectly; whereas, the bottom one does that thing where it's kind of pointy into the heel with a gap on the sides.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
I think so. I have both and the top one really fills out the heel of a shoe perfectly; whereas, the bottom one does that thing where it's kind of pointy into the heel with a gap on the sides.

Thank you. You think I should get full heel trees? I have a mix right now. I know cedar shoe trees are important.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You think I should get full heel trees? I have a mix right now. I know cedar shoe trees are important.

I'm no expert, so please don't take me as such. From my experience with both, however, the full heel version just seems so much more complete than the lesser version. That being said, the lesser version still has the same ball and toebox fit, and that is most important thing in a tree. And despite its heel, there are far worse versions that I've seen (and actually owned in the past). The full heel version though is to my mind--short of a fully lasted tree--the best bargain that I've ever seen at 35 dollars. I am literally heading down to Michigan Avenue in the next day or two--when my guy will be working--and having him search the stores for as many of the full-heel versions that he can have shipped to Michigan Avenue.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the same pair of shoes in each type of tree, and everyone can form their own opinions.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
I'm no expert, so please don't take me as such. From my experience with both, however, the full heel version just seems so much more complete than the lesser version. That being said, the lesser version still has the same ball and toebox fit, and that is most important thing in a tree. And despite its heel, there are far worse versions that I've seen (and actually owned in the past). The full heel version though is to my mind--short of a fully lasted tree--the best bargain that I've ever seen at 35 dollars. I am literally heading down to Michigan Avenue in the next day or two--when my guy will be working--and having him search the stores for as many of the full-heel versions that he can have shipped to Michigan Avenue.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the same pair of shoes in each type of tree, and everyone can form their own opinions.

Thank you.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the full heel but not enough to swap out anything I’ve got already.

In terms of my personal preference:
Lasted - Hinged
Lasted - 3 piece
Lasted - Spring
Lasted (brand specific but not last specific)
Lasted (generic - saphir has a good option here that’s reasonable)
Double barreled (woodlore epic style)
Spring with a full heel, narrow heel or divided toe are all fine
The only ones I actively avoid are the ones with the goofy plastic handle as the heel or the ball on the rod but I also haven’t had any shoes negatively impacted by them, they just freak me out and worry me.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Dellwood and/or thoughts on the 4 last? Is more 65 or 511?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads