• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, my aching tentacles.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The answer to the first two question is "The same". At least for this category of footwear. Well made fully lined Goodyear welted shoes are very structured shoes and are not going to stretch over time. Will the leathers soften and form to your foot? Sure, but you should not purchase a shoe thinking it is going to change to any real degree with regard to fit.

If you're buying a moccasin constructed handsewn shoe, yes, you'd want that shoe to fit comfortably snug because it will absolutely slowly stretch and keep stretching. Goodyear welted shoes don't do that. Purchase GYW shoes so they fit great at the fitting stool, because that's how they're going to fit for the life of the shoe, only they'll get better as the leathers soften. But the fit shouldn't change to any great degree over time.

You should only need tongue pads, etc. if you simply can't get the perfect fit with a particular last, size, etc. Sometimes it's just not meant to be fit-wise, so if you still want that particular shoe then you may have to add an innersole or tongue pad perhaps. But that's not ideal.

As another commenter mentioned, be sure you're paying attention to heel to ball measurement, and less to heel/toe measurement. This is the best way to ensure a positive experience with the shoes.

I really appreciate the thoughtful and detailed response.

I think the issue is that I am looking for the "perfect" fit and no such thing exists with "stock" shoes. As you suggested, some makes/models/lasts may not work for me such as the 65 because it is long and narrow, whereas the 511 is much better but unfortunately so few shoes are made with it.

I am use to getting all of my clothes tailored but having not purchased shoes in several years (until very recently), I forgot some of the issues with fit. And, I am not interested in spending several thousand dollars on 2-3 pair of bespoke shoes (from the same maker) which I have heard is how many it takes to get a "great" fit.

Last edited:

phzanella

Reaction score
Have these two for sale, open to reasonable offers, shipped CONUSA.
A/E Juneau Size 10D
A/E University Size 9.5D

Attachments

• AE-University-1.jpg
    AE-University-1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
  • AE-University-2.jpg
    AE-University-2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11
  • AE-University-3.jpg
    AE-University-3.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Juneau-1.jpg
    Juneau-1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 13
  • AE-University-4.jpg
    AE-University-4.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Juneau-2.jpg
    Juneau-2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Juneau-3.jpg
    Juneau-3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Juneau-4.jpg
    Juneau-4.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 19

DawgPound

Reaction score
Not my first pair of AE’s, but this pair of Strands was the pair that got me revved up…and nearly 40 AE pairs later, wondering what the hell was I thinking. That said, I really enjoy them and don’t regret it :cool: Looking forward to the upcoming trunk show!

CE373303-1982-4B09-AE19-ED5A771392F2.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful, but I can't even see them as burgundy as they're so dark.
The tone is so subtle. I was beginning to worry I was accidentally sent Black Shell instead, but it's definitely Burgundy. Just some super dark shade of Burgundy. May hit it with some cordovan cream and see if that lightens it up a little.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tone is so subtle. I was beginning to worry I was accidentally sent Black Shell instead, but it's definitely Burgundy. Just some super dark shade of Burgundy. May hit it with some cordovan cream and see if that lightens it up a little.

I got a pair of Daltons and Bradleys in burgundy shell cordovan, and neither of them is that dark at all. Like even remotely. They are, in fact, quite red to the eye.

Like, I think these might not be burgundy, bro. Like, I sincerely can't see any red in them. Can you perhaps take a pic of them in really bright light?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my Burgundy Shell Strands. Is it just me or is AE's burgundy shell pretty dark? Feels like these are deeper than Horween Color 8 (please excuse the dim indoor lighting)
View attachment 1668881
My burgundy shell Daltons were very dark at first. Over time (and exposure to sunlight), they have lightened quite a bit.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of burgundy shell Daltons, I was actually planning to wear mine today. I made a last-minute change in plans to go with something completely different.
My AE Yumas in bison are very comfortable.
1CF05BC9-1B3E-4E75-8DAD-88530188CA2C.jpeg
D21D9CEE-E44F-46A1-B16A-581F780D40B4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads