• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m having an issue with poron insoles and wondering if the forum has any advice. After the shoes came back from re-crafting the insole started sliding off the heel and bunching at the centre of my foot, creating a ridge inside the shoes. The insole is glued down and I don’t think I can safely remove it and glue it myself without tearing either the insole or the footbed. I’m thinking of asking my cobbler but curious if anyone else has suffered this issue?
View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310 View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310
Could you slice at the ripple and re-glue with Master’s All Purpose Cement? I’ve had great luck re-gluing sock liners in Florsheims this summer.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I’ve had that happen to a couple pairs, including a Brooks MacNeil. It sucks, but should be an easy fix for a cobbler. Some would argue you could fix yourself with Barge cement, but I prefer to have it set for a while using a press.

Thanks much. I’m utterly useless with my hands, which is why I am a lawyer. If I try to fix it myself I will inevitably make it worse and end up at the cobbler.

As for construction, is the poron insole sitting on top of the same leather insole that would be in a regular pair of AEs? Is there a footbed below that or cork?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for construction, is the poron insole sitting on top of the same leather insole that would be in a regular pair of AEs? Is there a footbed below that or cork?

I know that the shoes are lasted with the poron inside the shoe. Paul came on some forum years ago to state this. People thought the poron was added on top of the footbed after lasting, but that isn't the case. Still, it can affect fit (sometimes). I saw someone once remove the poron and below it was some kind of white midsole. Underneath that, there is cork (at least for the models like the Leeds 2.0, MacNeil 2.0, etc.). I can't speak on the newer models that might differ.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m having an issue with poron insoles and wondering if the forum has any advice. After the shoes came back from re-crafting the insole started sliding off the heel and bunching at the centre of my foot, creating a ridge inside the shoes. The insole is glued down and I don’t think I can safely remove it and glue it myself without tearing either the insole or the footbed. I’m thinking of asking my cobbler but curious if anyone else has suffered this issue?
View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310 View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310
That leather cover will have wings in the fore part of the shoe. Did AE do the recraft? I have taken one off a pair with no issues.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know that the shoes are lasted with the poron inside the shoe. Paul came on some forum years ago to state this. People thought the poron was added on top of the footbed after lasting, but that isn't the case. Still, it can affect fit (sometimes). I saw someone once remove the poron and below it was some kind of white midsole. Underneath that, there is cork (at least for the models like the Leeds 2.0, MacNeil 2.0, etc.). I can't speak on the newer models that might differ.
It is Texon, fancy word for cardboard.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you slice at the ripple and re-glue with Master’s All Purpose Cement? I’ve had great luck re-gluing sock liners in Florsheims this summer.
Maybe, but if there is any overlap you will feel it. I would think also that making the cut will invite further trouble down the line, but I’m fairly OCD, so ymmv.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with this. I do remember someone here talking about removing it from a pair a few years back, so it can be done, but might require an insole afterward.

FWIW, I find that I have to size up in length or width for those Brooks models with Poron, lasting process notwithstanding.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Agree with this. I do remember someone here talking about removing it from a pair a few years back, so it can be done, but might require an insole afterward.

FWIW, I find that I have to size up in length or width for those Brooks models with Poron, lasting process notwithstanding.
Same here…ultimately never kept the BB AE’s because of the sizing issue with poron.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday Eve! Park Avenue for it's almost Friday!

PXL_20210805_133925349.jpg
PXL_20210805_133515795.jpg
PXL_20210805_133519501.jpg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

I got lucky with this pair. They were actually the shoes that started my AE obsession, and I didn't even know they were AEs. I bought them from Brooks Brothers at size 8.5, but this particular pair run large, so even with poron and my usual size being 9D, they fit great, if not a touch large. I loved them so much that last year I bought another pair on eBay in 8.5, and they are too tight. One of the perils of buying on eBay.

@Shoenut - They were recrafted by AE in 2019 but I didn't wear them until this summer.

What are the leather cover with wings? Is that the part that covers in instep?

@Vincent George - I don't think slicing will work. It seems the poron insole is sliding at the heel but the poron insole is holding tight from the mid foot through the toe. So even if I cut it, the sliding part will continue to bunch where it is firmly in place.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got lucky with this pair. They were actually the shoes that started my AE obsession, and I didn't even know they were AEs. I bought them from Brooks Brothers at size 8.5, but this particular pair run large, so even with poron and my usual size being 9D, they fit great, if not a touch large. I loved them so much that last year I bought another pair on eBay in 8.5, and they are too tight. One of the perils of buying on eBay.

@Shoenut - They were recrafted by AE in 2019 but I didn't wear them until this summer.

What are the leather cover with wings? Is that the part that covers in instep?

@Vincent George - I don't think slicing will work. It seems the poron insole is sliding at the heel but the poron insole is holding tight from the mid foot through the toe. So even if I cut it, the sliding part will continue to bunch where it is firmly in place.
The wings are part of the fore part. They wrap around the insole. Once you rip it out, you cannot put it back.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dang right to page me, but I wasn't around last night to see the AE signal (kind of like a bat signal but in the shape of a little shoe against the clouds) and they are now long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads