• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready for another episode of Strand-related **** that only BFT9000 cares about?

No? Well too bad, check out these cool newly purchased, preowned Strands!

PXL_20210727_033723804.jpg

Another pair of Walnut Strands? Has BFT9000 finally gone off the deep end? But wait, these Strands (pictured below, right) are a teeny tiny bit darker than the Walnut pair on the left! Or is that just the lighting? Who knows!

PXL_20210727_033522051.jpg

While putting together my Strand crazy-board a couple years ago (pictured below)...

1627360073111.png

...I noticed that we were missing a certain model number. 6105 is Brown, 6115 is Black, 6135 is Bourbon, 6145 is Navy Aniline, 6155 is Tan Pin Grain, etc. etc. 61 means Strand, the third digit is unique for a certain style, and the 5 means 65 last.

But where the heck is 6125?

None of the old AE catalogs, starting from 1983 when the Strand was first released, mentioned this missing style. For a while I thought that maybe they assigned a style to 6125 and then decided to not release it, which isn't unheard of.

Digging deeper, I decided to use the Wayback Machine internet archive to jump back to the Allen Edmonds website circa 2008, when the Strand was reintroduced to the world under Paul G.'s leadership. I knew that when the Strand was reintroduced, it came in three colors: black (6115), brown (6105) and walnut (1635, the 1 and 6 switched because AE ran out of 61x5 style codes).

Turns out that on this old archived copy of allenedmonds.com, in a roughly one month span between the end of the Fall 2008 season and the start of Winter 2009, AE actually did offer a style with model number 6125. The one you see pictured above: Chestnut Burnished Calf (#79). I believe this style was offered for only a month or two before the entire line of Chestnut shoes was replaced by the current Walnut line, thus creating the popular and enduring Walnut Strand that everyone here owns.

As expected, these Strands are extremely rare on eBay. Since finding out about them, I've seem them listed two or three times. It certainly doesn't help that they're nearly identical to Walnut Strands and eBay sellers are notorious for not uploading pictures of model numbers.

PXL_20210727_044905159.jpg

I've been waiting for a pair around my size to pop up for a couple years now, and thankfully I got these in great condition at a great price.

tl;dr: I now own two Walnut Strands, except one of them says 1635 and the other one says 6125.

Last edited:

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this trunk show talk I thought I’d post a few of my favorites from past trunk shows. Just to get the juices flowing. Please share your photos too. View attachment 1644610 View attachment 1644611 View attachment 1644612 View attachment 1644613 View attachment 1644614
Left to right: Blue, bourbon, burgundy, brown and natty. I no longer have the blue and burgundy. Maybe some of these colors will be available in the trunk show.

View attachment 1644620

Is it shell show season already? Here's my contribution to the hype machine:

IMG_20210101_131440~2.jpg

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it shell show season already? Here's my contribution to the hype machine:

View attachment 1644745
What are the colors of each? I especially love the lower left corner. Antique cherry? Scuffed Color 8? Keeping my fingers crossed that we see Natural Shell and hopefully Walnut Shell in an up-coming Trunk Show or MTO capacity!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BFT9000, that's very interesting. I never knew that. A few days ago while I was browsing the 2015 postings, I saw someone shared a photo of a Strand I had never seen before. It appeared to be a camel / light tan suede with a dark brown leather sole made for Brooks Brothers. Have you seen that one?

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the colors of each? I especially love the lower left corner. Antique cherry? Scuffed Color 8? Keeping my fingers crossed that we see Natural Shell and hopefully Walnut Shell in an up-coming Trunk Show or MTO capacity!

Chili, Bourbon, Green, Navy, Black
Marbled Dark Cognac, Marbled Color 8 (a.k.a. Antique Cherry), Dark Cognac, Color 8

Natural shell would be great. Sign me up!

@BFT9000, that's very interesting. I never knew that. A few days ago while I was browsing the 2015 postings, I saw someone shared a photo of a Strand I had never seen before. It appeared to be a camel / light tan suede with a dark brown leather sole made for Brooks Brothers. Have you seen that one?

Tan suede with dark leather sole? Doesn't ring a bell, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the post?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili, Bourbon, Green, Navy, Black
Marbled Dark Cognac, Marbled Color 8 (a.k.a. Antique Cherry), Dark Cognac, Color 8

Natural shell would be great. Sign me up!

Tan suede with dark leather sole? Doesn't ring a bell, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the post?
This could set off an expedition!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why did you downsize???

I was at nearly 70 pairs of shoes. Bring in some money by selling some takes some of the guilt away from rare shell deliveries that were on the horizon. Plus, I was cleaning out the entire house for a move to the east coast so I pared down to about 50 pairs. The wife was still surprised to see 7 large boxes all marked “shoes” Stacked for the moving van.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the hell does anyone need a sneaker version of the hm? Ewww

I suppose one could say the same for the sneaker versions of the PA and Strand.

Yeah, not a fan of that Higgins sneaker. At least it's not as bad as the Walker boot.

Also, I noticed on that new Chapman boot, they are putting the AE logo very obviously on the tongue. I don't mind that they do this on some of the sneakers, but I hope they don't continue doing this on boots. I guess no one will see it when you're wearing them, but I just don't like. One thing I've always liked about AE and Alden is that they keep logos where they should be, which is on the soles.

First I saw of this was on the tongue of the Silverlake, I think it works ok there but not sure about this.

Was going to wear my Broadstreets today but I' too fat for all the pants that go with them so Chili Strand Weaves instead. To cover my bases I just ordered some new pants and intend on fitting into my old pants so should be good either way.
IMG_5469.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready for another episode of Strand-related **** that only BFT9000 cares about?

No? Well too bad, check out these cool newly purchased, preowned Strands!

View attachment 1644734

Another pair of Walnut Strands? Has BFT9000 finally gone off the deep end? But wait, these Strands (pictured below, right) are a teeny tiny bit darker than the Walnut pair on the left! Or is that just the lighting? Who knows!

View attachment 1644735

While putting together my Strand crazy-board a couple years ago (pictured below)...

View attachment 1644739

...I noticed that we were missing a certain model number. 6105 is Brown, 6115 is Black, 6135 is Bourbon, 6145 is Navy Aniline, 6155 is Tan Pin Grain, etc. etc. 61 means Strand, the third digit is unique for a certain style, and the 5 means 65 last.

But where the heck is 6125?

None of the old AE catalogs, starting from 1983 when the Strand was first released, mentioned this missing style. For a while I thought that maybe they assigned a style to 6125 and then decided to not release it, which isn't unheard of.

Digging deeper, I decided to use the Wayback Machine internet archive to jump back to the Allen Edmonds website circa 2008, when the Strand was reintroduced to the world under Paul G.'s leadership. I knew that when the Strand was reintroduced, it came in three colors: black (6115), brown (6105) and walnut (1635, the 1 and 6 switched because AE ran out of 61x5 style codes).

Turns out that on this old archived copy of allenedmonds.com, in a roughly one month span between the end of the Fall 2008 season and the start of Winter 2009, AE actually did offer a style with model number 6125. The one you see pictured above: Chestnut Burnished Calf (#79). I believe this style was offered for only a month or two before the entire line of Chestnut shoes was replaced by the current Walnut line, thus creating the popular and enduring Walnut Strand that everyone here owns.

As expected, these Strands are extremely rare on eBay. Since finding out about them, I've seem them listed two or three times. It certainly doesn't help that they're nearly identical to Walnut Strands and eBay sellers are notorious for not uploading pictures of model numbers.

View attachment 1644741

I've been waiting for a pair around my size to pop up for a couple years now, and thankfully I got these in great condition at a great price.

tl;dr: I now own two Walnut Strands, except one of them says 1635 and the other one says 6125.

Daaaaaaaaang. Your devotion to the Strand continues to astonish me in all the good ways. Congrats on finding that missing link. Now, you just need to go out and find that one model of Strand with # 8675309 that Paul introduced for just one glorious corporate retreat that had an 80s theme to it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is the first recorded incident of a two-toned Strand.

Good luck on your next hunt. We're all rooting for you and looking forward to your next Strand family photo. I'm assuming you'll ned to find a camera with a very good panoramic lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics