• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoes4play

Reaction score
So you paid extra for a pair of essentially indestructible shoes, but are hesitant to use them for fear of wearing them out?

Not to be morbid but if you're my age (35) or older, our heart valves will probably wear out before our shell shoes do.

Enjoy your shoes! Wear them to obnoxious activities and have them bear witness to some of your poor decisions!

Hear, Hear !!

My sentiments exactly.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you paid extra for a pair of essentially indestructible shoes, but are hesitant to use them for fear of wearing them out?

Not to be morbid but if you're my age (35) or older, our heart valves will probably wear out before our shell shoes do.

Enjoy your shoes! Wear them to obnoxious activities and have them bear witness to some of your poor decisions!
You don't know @smfdoc well. He's got a healthy rotation, and is retired. I'm sure he's wearing them as much as he "can".

My shoes only get worn 5-6 times per year due to my rotation size.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because AE is no longer making MacNeils. My pair are safe in the closet and will remain there with occasional wearing.
had me scared you experienced a loss!

I have a bad valve begin with. Mine could fail anytime!

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Today is an anniversary post with a throwback photo. Having so much spare time on my hands in the last 5 years I seem to have accumulated 10,000 posts. Some of them were even worth reading. The throwback photo is from April 20, 2017 when my trunk show MacNeils (RIP) in natty shell arrived.

View attachment 1644345

Absolutely gorgeous.

When did AE stop the made to order option?

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Because AE is no longer making MacNeils. My pair are safe in the closet and will remain there with occasional wearing.

I share your values. I snapped up a dark chili calf Mac Neil in 2020 when I heard they were discontinued. They’ve been sitting on my coffee table like a sculpture for a year. This week I’m getting top soles added and they will make their maiden voyage shortly. Just the thought of putting creases and scuffs on them breaks my OCD heart.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I can’t tell if this CXL Chapman is a worthy successor of the CXL Long Branch or a cheap imitation.

ChapmanWing_4897_Natural_Angle_web.jpg
41OEUDYEotL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No fear of wearing them out. Just trying to rotate the collection evenly so that everything gets a turn. I wear everything and almost all of it will outlast me.

Last edited:

pbrandes

Reaction score
Also, I noticed on that new Chapman boot, they are putting the AE logo very obviously on the tongue. I don't mind that they do this on some of the sneakers, but I hope they don't continue doing this on boots. I guess no one will see it when you're wearing them, but I just don't like. One thing I've always liked about AE and Alden is that they keep logos where they should be, which is on the soles.

+1
Visible branding is a deal-breaker for me. Even the small engraving on the buckle has kept me away from AE cordovan belts, and the Chapman tongue is far more garish.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
OMG!! Amazing news!! The Macneil will be offered at the next Trunk Show!!

Fantastic news. I think we all saw that coming.

When is the trunk show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads