• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after failing at my first attempt with factory second cordovan Randolphs, I took a deep breath and ordered "firsts". After they arrived, I tried them on and felt something that was like a small pebble. Shaking it out of the shoe, it looked like a brown plastic chip. Curious I peered inside the shoe and noticed what looks like some resin filler. I haven't seen this in any of my other AE shoes - is this common in the loafers?

I think that's just glue. I have that on a few of my pairs. Unfortunately, there's no way to get rid of it.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday Eve whiskey

PXL_20210624_134216718.jpg
PXL_20210624_133026403.jpg
PXL_20210624_133030873.jpg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after failing at my first attempt with factory second cordovan Randolphs, I took a deep breath and ordered "firsts". After they arrived, I tried them on and felt something that was like a small pebble. Shaking it out of the shoe, it looked like a brown plastic chip. Curious I peered inside the shoe and noticed what looks like some resin filler. I haven't seen this in any of my other AE shoes - is this common in the loafers?

View attachment 1629967

This is actually just lasting cement, used to hold the upper until the welt goes on after it's been lasted. I asked once if this was something that one could expect to happen from time to time and I was told that occasionally, spillover does happen. By using cement after lasting, it helps ensure a consistent fit and reduces the changes of the upper shifting while it dries. If this affected the fit, finish, or aesthetic of the outside of the shoe, we would of course deem this defective. Are you feeling it at all when you put them on? Please let me know if that's the case and we'll make it right.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Family funeral today so black Parks got the nod. Didn't get a chance to take a Hober tie photo!

Hope everyone had a good hump day.

View attachment 1629520 View attachment 1629521
Condolences! Funerals are never fun, no matter how good the shoes. Hope you're holding up!

Having a hard time deciding if I should return these AE seconds Woolymoks which just arrived today. I spoke to the salesperson at the store and asked what was the defect with these. He put me on hold and appeared to pull the shoes, then told me he could find nothing at all wrong with them, so I purchased them.

As can be seen in the photo, the distance between the toe caps and the brogueing strip at the vamp is clearly very different from shoe to shoe. I keep looking at this and not sure it will not always irk me when I wear these. But the shoe itself is better IRL than in the photos and I know I would wear these often. No possibility of exchange as these were the only pair in my size. These were on sale last week for $181.

What would you do? View attachment 1629797
Didn't notice until you mentioned, but I didn't look very closely. I have a used pair of Leeds where the eyelets don't line up the same way on each shoe. It bother(ed) the heck out of me at first, but I got used to it and no one has ever noticed as far as I can tell. Unless you're standing with both feet side by side with someone looking down at your feet, I doubt it will ever be noticed. I'd keep.

Called in to the office today to entertain guests. Took out the Hopkinsons! Barely had time to condition them as it's been quite a while since they were last worn, no mirror shine today, sadly!

1624593357447.png

It's also been awhile since I last brought out this suit. Now with summerly accessories!

1624593594012.png
Don't mind my claw hand, not sure what was going on there.

Happy Friday to all!

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Condolences! Funerals are never fun, no matter how good the shoes. Hope you're holding up!

Didn't notice until you mentioned, but I didn't look very closely. I have a used pair of Leeds where the lacing holes don't line up the same way on each shoe. It bother(ed) the heck out of me at first, but I got used to it and no one has ever noticed as far as I can tell. Unless you're standing with both feet side by side with someone looking down at your feet, I doubt it will ever be noticed. I'd keep.

Called in to the office today to entertain guests. Took out the Hopkinsons! Barely had time to condition them as it's been quite a while since they were last worn, no mirror shine today, sadly!

View attachment 1630012

It's also been awhile since I last brought out this suit. Now with summerly accessories!

View attachment 1630013
Don't mind my claw hand, not sure what was going on there.

Happy Friday to all!

Thank you very much. It was a celebration of a long life well lived! :)

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Woodlore does a twofer soon I need like 10 pairs of shoe trees. Ordered Snuff and Camel Neumoks since on clearance and I only have a few loafers and boots in suede.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having a hard time deciding if I should return these AE seconds Woolymoks which just arrived today. I spoke to the salesperson at the store and asked what was the defect with these. He put me on hold and appeared to pull the shoes, then told me he could find nothing at all wrong with them, so I purchased them.

As can be seen in the photo, the distance between the toe caps and the brogueing strip at the vamp is clearly very different from shoe to shoe. I keep looking at this and not sure it will not always irk me when I wear these. But the shoe itself is better IRL than in the photos and I know I would wear these often. No possibility of exchange as these were the only pair in my size. These were on sale last week for $181.

What would you do? View attachment 1629797
I would keep them, as even firsts are often not perfect. Heck, I've purchased firsts with larger "issues" than these have, and outside of yourself, and perhaps us here, not a single person will notice. They will just say "cool shoes"!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1629967
Had a pair of loafers with almost the exact same issue, and as long as everyone was locked up last year, took a very precise X-acto knife and some tweezers and was able to extract most of the glue residue, at least enough that I can't feel it anymore when I put them on. Oh, they were not AE loafers, so no pix.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Denim Strandmoks today. These and my other Strandmoks usually get the most unsolicited compliments by others out there. I’m debating if I should jump on another pair in a different color while they’re clearing out the inventory. I don’t NEED them, but I also didn’t need any of the other 30-40 pair that I have.

14D80457-5F7B-45E4-B417-D55ABB94892D.jpeg

SJTM

Reaction score
Just in from Nordstrom Rack. Navy Blue Sea Island (on sale for $97). Unusual suede that almost looks like velvet from a distance - or so thought the woman who cuts my hair. She thought they were pic worthy.
Sea Island.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim Strandmoks today. These and my other Strandmoks usually get the most unsolicited compliments by others out there. I’m debating if I should jump on another pair in a different color while they’re clearing out the inventory. I don’t NEED them, but I also didn’t need any of the other 30-40 pair that I have.

View attachment 1630354

I am going to order a pair of those very soon. I decided that I would regret it in 2 years from now if I didn't pick them up. However, what finally convinced me was that the Canal Court sneaker I have in the same color, it uses darker blue laces. I'm going to use laces that are the same color (roughly) as the darker blue piping on the shoes. I think they will look great like this.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore white suede Nomads today. The light was wrong (it was in the bright Sun) but couldn't resit taking this picture.

IMG_6897.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, pink in Hollywood.

IMG_6877.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, Friday June 25th 2021 is National Cream Tea Day.

Wore the National Cream Tea Day colors (clotted cream and strawberry jam), went the the Chado Tea Room in Hollywood, and had cream tea.

IMG_6881.jpeg

For fans of pictures of giant columns with giant elephants on top in shoe threads, one of the four giant columns with giant elephants on top at the Hollywood-Highland Center.

IMG_6875.jpeg

For fans of random Hollywood street scenes in shoe threads, looking north on Orange Street (the cross street is Franklin) at the Magic Castle and on top of the hill, the grey roof of the Yamashiro Sky Room. This is directly behind the Chinese Chinese Theater.

IMG_6870.jpeg

For those who want to see even more of what I saw in Hollywood today, in a shop called Memento Mori, which is on Wilcox just north of Sunset.

IMG_6893.jpeg

dc_slicker

Reaction score

View attachment 1630354
Any reason why they want to put those on clearance? Guess this is more of Ashley question... While I personally dont have those, they seem pretty popular judging my posts by other members.

I dont need another pair.... I dont need another pair.... I dont need another pair....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics