• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for some time, but I visited the AE site today to look at redrafting options and lo and behold I see that they now sell boot trees. Does anyone here own any? Thoughts/impressions?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Wingtip Wednesday still a thing? Asking for a friend. OK, fine, it's for me. I'm friends with myself. I'm asking for me. Is that clear enough for all you filthy barnweasels? You caught me in my lie. Are you happy now? Normally, I'd feel embarrassed, but I gave up shame for Lent a number of decades back and never had a second thought about it. Also, I'm not Catholic (I'm just married to one), so my Lenten promises carry little-to-no weight.

SMU oxblood Ladyboots with red Dainite soles courtesy of @ae_ashley a couple of years ago. I love getting out-of-the blue messages from her, since that usually means something interesting is in play. My wallet? Not quite so much.

IMG_4854.jpg

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the interest of pedantry and clarity - I stand slightly corrected. The Academy (and Alumnus, another nice shoe) are on the 2321, while the HM is on the 1757. In the immortal words of @Neo1, the 2321 "appears to have characteristics in common with the 1757."

Anecdotally, this seems true. I'd go with your HM size. This is the listing I mentioned earlier (not my listing;no affiliation whatsoever):

Also lots of used pairs out there.

Best of luck.

I had a pair of Alumnus for a while - I found that the 2321 had too much room in the forefoot. I felt a "whooshing"
as my forefoot moved up and down in the shoe as I walked.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I came up with another interesting shell option for you guys. What about the Discovery? Not a lot of shell monkey boot options around and it would certain skew casual and also represent something very different from the offerings over recent years.

1620839920259.png

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came up with another interesting shell option for you guys. What about the Discovery? Not a lot of shell monkey boot options around and it would certain skew casual and also represent something very different from the offerings over recent years.

View attachment 1608703
Good boot… I’d be hesitant because it has no quick laces

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoedrobe is threatening to rise from the grave. Wore my green shells out to pick my kid up from school for no reason at all! Here’s for more and more opportunities to dress well in the near future!
8B4D8985-E062-41A7-8C16-49E684545132.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoedrobe is threatening to rise from the grave. Wore my green shells out to pick my kid up from school for no reason at all! Here’s for more and more opportunities to dress well in the near future!
View attachment 1608744
Im not a fan of PTBs or the Leeds, but this looks good to me

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1608703

Honestly? I'd buy it over any current lineup models (save for a monk strap). It would look SICK in burgundy or bourbon shell.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think a Nomad in shell would be nice, but really what I want is the XLite sole to be offered with a shell shoe. Now, what would you say to a Williamsburg in shell?

Unfortunately, the Cornwallis is no longer current. I think the Lake Forest is also being discontinued.

Great combo!

The Xlite soles seem to only be used on AE's crappy made-in-Dominican Republic shoes. Plus, aren't those soles just glued on? The Nomad if it was made in the US with shell would probably not use the XL.

The Nomad and Williamsburg are pretty similar shoes, so I'd say they both could pull it off. Chukkas look nice in shell.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for some time, but I visited the AE site today to look at redrafting options and lo and behold I see that they now sell boot trees. Does anyone here own any? Thoughts/impressions?

Welcome back. I own two of the Woodlore ones, which I would assume would be the same as the AE ones, since they are both made by AE. I think they work fine, but I find that the toe area wood is a little smaller than I get in my usual size shoe trees. I have to make sure I push the combination wood out a bit to make it fill up the area. The ankle area is quite wide and fills up the heel/ankle area very well. I use them with my Alden and AE boots. I went with Woodlore because it was slightly cheaper.

IMG_2990.JPG

What CURRENT styles are most appealing to you? What would you like to see in shell?

UNIVERSITY!! I know, I know, this will never happen. It's not exactly "current", but it is on clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads