• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Good evening, men--

Men, I am thinking about making a last-minute boot purchase before the AE sale goes away tonight, but I need advice on sizing.

Each of the fifteen (or so...) pairs of AE footwear I own is a size 13, and 13 is in fact my Brannock size. My favorite shoe is the Strand, and I own various pairs in different colors and weaves. In fact, I require an E width in the 65-lasted shoes (Strand, McAllister) while a D width fits me fine in all other non-65 AE shoe models.

About a year ago, I went for a Hamilton boot (65 last) during an AE sale, though I was apprehensive because the 13E was out of stock and so I had to go for a 13D. When they arrived, the fit was not narrow, but actually very large in both the width and the length: I have the sensation that I'm wearing clown shoes when I put them on. Foolishly I wore them to work instead of sending them back, and I can only sport them with my thickest wool socks, which is less than optimum as they sit in the closet unworn for every month that isn't January or February here on an island off the Gulf Coast of FL. I then bought a suede Patton in a 13D, and while this pair feels larger than my 13D/13E non-boot AE footwear, the fit isn't nearly the spelunk that is the aforementioned Hamilton experience.

Is this par for the course with boots, where I should either size down or expect to wear thicker socks? If it were just the Hamilton, then I would be inclined to think I purchased a mis-marked size 14 pair; the fact that the Patton feels big, however, leads me to believe that these boots simply run larger than the AE shoes.

If I were to go for another Hamilton or Pattie, would I size down to a 12.5?

Thanks for your advice.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Good evening, men--

Men, I am thinking about making a last-minute boot purchase before the AE sale goes away tonight, but I need advice on sizing.

Each of the fifteen (or so...) pairs of AE footwear I own is a size 13, and 13 is in fact my Brannock size. My favorite shoe is the Strand, and I own various pairs in different colors and weaves. In fact, I require an E width in the 65-lasted shoes (Strand, McAllister) while a D width fits me fine in all other non-65 AE shoe models.

About a year ago, I went for a Hamilton boot (65 last) during an AE sale, though I was apprehensive because the 13E was out of stock and so I had to go for a 13D. When they arrived, the fit was not narrow, but actually very large in both the width and the length: I have the sensation that I'm wearing clown shoes when I put them on. Foolishly I wore them to work instead of sending them back, and I can only sport them with my thickest wool socks, which is less than optimum as they sit in the closet unworn for every month that isn't January or February here on an island off the Gulf Coast of FL. I then bought a suede Patton in a 13D, and while this pair feels larger than my 13D/13E non-boot AE footwear, the fit isn't nearly the spelunk that is the aforementioned Hamilton experience.

Is this par for the course with boots, where I should either size down or expect to wear thicker socks? If it were just the Hamilton, then I would be inclined to think I purchased a mis-marked size 14 pair; the fact that the Patton feels big, however, leads me to believe that these boots simply run larger than the AE shoes.

Thanks for your advice.
Interesting. My Hamilton pair I felt was a little more snug than my other 65’s. I wouldn’t size down for boots...either my normal size or a size up (I feel boots are more forgiving being slightly larger). Regarding the sale...me being me, I’d just buy it, whatever it is, then exchange it if I like it for a different size if needed. Then at least you’d have the sale price. Similarly, you could always return it if you don’t like it all together (AE makes that easy). Also what I’ve done is order multiple sizes of the same thing and just kept the pair that fit the best. When I was trying another brand, I must have went through 5 pairs until I got the right size. Good luck!

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Interesting. Personally, I doubt I will wear my walnut oxfords with olive or navy trousers very often. I almost always wear shoes that are darker than my trousers, unless I am wearing a light-colored jacket. Sometimes I’ll wear a khaki-colored sport coat with gray or brown trousers and tan shoes, but typically I reserve them for khaki suits, which I wear a couple of days a week in the warm weather months. That said, I see a lot of men who make brighter, warmer colored shoes work with darker clothes, but it isn’t how I typically dress.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
To explain further, I think that very formal occasions for which I would wear a dark suit and black or dark brown oxfords — things like court appearances and weddings and so forth — will always to exist, but I’m worried that the sort of casual suit/sport coat and tie occasions will be more fully casual now and therefore that there may be fewer opportunities to wear oxfords.

Interesting. Personally, I doubt I will wear my walnut oxfords with olive or navy trousers very often. I almost always wear shoes that are darker than my trousers, unless I am wearing a light-colored jacket. Sometimes I’ll wear a khaki-colored sport coat with gray or brown trousers and tan shoes, but typically I reserve them for khaki suits, which I wear a couple of days a week in the warm weather months. That said, I see a lot of men who make brighter, warmer colored shoes work with darker clothes, but it isn’t how I typically dress.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
... I’m worried that the sort of casual suit/sport coat and tie occasions will be more fully casual now and therefore that there may be fewer opportunities to wear oxfords.
You don't need opportunities to wear oxfords. You're boxing yourself in. Wear 'em whenever wherever.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also generally stick to the “not lighter than the trousers” guideline, especially as you slide higher up the formality spectrum.

As to your previous question, I don’t generally wear oxfords without coat and tie. I’ll make an exception for my natty shell Strands and my walnut & bone Heritage specs with seersucker or linen. But by and large, if I’m wearing oxfords I’m also picking out a tie.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To explain further, I think that very formal occasions for which I would wear a dark suit and black or dark brown oxfords — things like court appearances and weddings and so forth — will always to exist, but I’m worried that the sort of casual suit/sport coat and tie occasions will be more fully casual now and therefore that there may be fewer opportunities to wear oxfords.

Personally, and I know some people disagree, but I think you can wear an oxford in a less formal setting, especially if it is brogued.

I mean, I wouldn't wear oxfords with a band shirt and jeans (then again, I own neither of these things), but with chinos, a nice polo, and a sports coat? Why the hell not?

I'm also not wearing my black captoes with shorts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, given I just mentioned shorts: Which AE shoes/boots do you think pair nicely with shorts? Preferably, not loafers, as I don't dig loafers, but any suggestions besides?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good evening, men--

Thanks for your advice.

Total apples to oranges comparison on this one imo. I found the Strandmoks & Hamiltons highly dependent upon what material they used - the grain & cxl definitely fits quite loose in width & volume. I never tried the Patton but I have enough of a variety of HMs to say that they feel very full, very wide in the toebox and also shorter in length than the Hamilton. Not saying they didn't mislast your cognac pair, but I found mislast types of errors much more frequent on handsewns rather than welts.

I guess I would just say for the Hamilton its possible the 12.5D could work if it's the same grain like the cognac. The Patton I'm not so sure about. Definitely dont make any broad sweeping generalizations about the boots - as a C-width I can tell you the Nomad & Liverpool Chelsea's definitely dont run wide.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, given I just mentioned shorts: Which AE shoes/boots do you think pair nicely with shorts? Preferably, not loafers, as I don't dig loafers, but any suggestions besides?

Lots of choices - the Sea Island, Catalina, Nashua, Super Sport.....oh wait...

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post.

All feet are different but I would not give up on the Leeds/511 just yet. I grew up and spent most of my life in Manhattan, walk a few miles a day, and many more on Saturdays and Sundays. The only shoe that has ever been comfortable enough for me past the 5 mile mark, is the Wilbert/511 which has a poron insole and a blown rubber outsole. If I know we are going to be walking more than 5 or 6 miles, I throw caution/fashion to the wind and wear sneakers.

I have been considering converting a few other leather or suede PTBs to more comfortable "walking soles" when the leather soles on those shoes wear out. I no longer have a 9 to 5 job so my outfits are more casual these days (i.e. jeans or chinos and an ocbd) so I can get away with shoes (not sneakers) that do not have traditional leather soles. I have also found that even a rubber sole protector can add a bit more comfort.

On the other hand, none of this may matter and you might just need a different size and/or last.

This is interesting stuff. If I couldn't make it past 5 miles I would consider that the shoes didn't fit. I can think of two occassions where I knew I was going to be doing crazy amounts of walking - the first I switched from sneakers into my Brooks Bros Aberdeens because I could literally walk 1000 miles in those, and the second time I switched from my sneakers to my GS natty cxl traveler's because those are up until this point the best loafers I've come across. If you have any sneaker recommendations that accommodate a high instep and don't run super wide I'm all ears haha - haven't found anything comfortable yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads