• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree because if I was the must junior family member, 17th in line to the Horween throne, and the one stuck answering the customer emails 1000 times a day asking about types and finish of leathers we produced, I might have a bad attitude as well (i.e. think about Prince Harry who gave it up).
Yeah, I get it. I work in a family business also and I remember having a discussion of piss poor pay with a family member. She was upset with her $398,000 per year job. At the time her brother was making $1000,000. He is CEO and she was customer service. But she still was excited about what the business does. And yes, I would swap jobs any time with her.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday!

Work has been spirited recently, I've managed to keep up here but that's all. Hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel...

Thanks to @AEfaninTampa I sent the bingo game out for my weekly staff meeting. :)

Feel like I've been cheating here, I just placed my first order with Quoddy. My 14EEE shoe size frequently leaves me on the sidelines with AE's casual loafers, so I had to look around for an alternative. I did see a comment on here recently about some changes to the Force 10 boat shoe, could anyone offer a comparison of them to the Maritimes (which I love)?

Navy McAllisters today for a rainy spring day in the Rockies.

McAllister_Navy_3_25.jpg

MrOxford

Reaction score

Thank you for the picture! A picture is certainly worth a thousand words.

You are a lot further down the sartorial journey than me. It was the combination hit with the windowpane pants, contrasting socks, and bowtie avatar that caught my attention. You went with two colours (red and blue) and used different shades of blue to ROCK DA LOOK. It's your ability to use your mind's eye to envision the colour combination BEFORE spending money and time in the purchase that I take pleasure in. Two piece suit and three piece suit are low skill like hitting the gas pedal on the straightaway in a car. To pull off the look with different fabrics for the jacket and pants require skill like taking a turn at an intersection with speed (25mph at the peak of the turn or 40kmh for the metric crowd here).

Can I trouble you for a couple of opinions.

1) Wearing the red shell shoes, red windowpane pants, would you wear the attach fabric (red tartan) as a jacket? A brighter red for the jacket.

2) If yes, how would coordinate the socks, dress shirt colour, and......bowtie ? :) LoL....

Your style leans toward the Italian school of fashion: individual style. Whereas the British school of fashion leans toward belonging to DA GROUP by wearing the same tweed jacket or necktie.

Attachments

• IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 27

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture! A picture is certainly worth a thousand words.

You are a lot further down the sartorial journey than me. It was the combination hit with the windowpane pants, contrasting socks, and bowtie avatar that caught my attention. You went with two colours (red and blue) and used different shades of blue to ROCK DA LOOK. It's your ability to use your mind's eye to envision the colour combination BEFORE spending money and time in the purchase that I take pleasure in. Two piece suit and three piece suit are low skill like hitting the gas pedal on the straightaway in a car. To pull off the look with different fabrics for the jacket and pants require skill like taking a turn at an intersection with speed (25mph at the peak of the turn or 40kmh for the metric crowd here).

Can I trouble you for a couple of opinions.

1) Wearing the red shell shoes, red windowpane pants, would you wear the attach fabric (red tartan) as a jacket? A brighter red for the jacket.

2) If yes, how would coordinate the socks, dress shirt colour, and......bowtie ? :) LoL....

Your style leans toward the Italian school of fashion: individual style. Whereas the British school of fashion leans toward belonging to DA GROUP by wearing the same tweed jacket or necktie.

i don’t think I could pair the tartan jacket with the windowpane trousers.

MrOxford

Reaction score
Town crier: Hear ye, hear ye! Mr. Bourbon Randolph has arrived! Mr. Linen-Pants is missing in action. Mr. Seiko Monster is nearby. Beware of growling sounds from Mr. Seiko. LoL....

Attachments

• IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2786.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 28

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don’t think I could pair the tartan jacket with the windowpane trousers.
Windowpane pants are very challenging to pull off the look. Thank you for your reply.
Woof, yeah, I've worn some loud things in my day, but the tartan would be rough!
Definitely stick to a solid color like suutee (mottled, donegal, etc might work).

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a little cigar on tassels to make you smile.

My first cashmere and silk tie as well.

PXL_20210421_133434416.jpg
PXL_20210421_132856165.jpg
PXL_20210421_132900674.jpg

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woof, yeah, I've worn some loud things in my day, but the tartan would be rough!
Definitely stick to a solid color like suutee (mottled, donegal, etc might work).
And a Royal Stewart tartan (I think that’s what that one is) to boot! @MrOxford - Only if it is a kilt, my friend - and then only if the Queen approves.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous tie.

Fantastic tie. May I ask the maker of the shirt?

Thank you. Sam Hober makes some of the best ties for the money out there. The patterns are out of this world.

Brooks Brothers MTM program is who the shirt is from!

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. I work in a family business also and I remember having a discussion of piss poor pay with a family member. She was upset with her $398,000 per year job. At the time her brother was making $1000,000. He is CEO and she was customer service. But she still was excited about what the business does. And yes, I would swap jobs any time with her.

That is a great point and example.
People can NOT learn the value of having a supercharge attitude, energy, I-care values, enthusiasm, and a beautiful spirit.
People with those qualities make the perfect team. Monkeys can learn to be skillful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads