• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Five 12900s (AKA DOT shoes):
View attachment 1595162

For those such as me who do not know, what are 12900AM (AKA DOT shoes)?

I get the sense it is some form of lottery as you said "What's in the box" so a part of me says bravo to you and the other says I am probably not the type to do it myself but it does seem interesting so I want to know more.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The below comments don't necessarily have anything to do with the recently discussed issues... But in the abstract, I think we all want to do business with companies that live by the "customer is always right" mantra. In my experience and from what I have seen from having participated in this thread for a long time is that AE is that type of company. Great!

But allow me to posit a different perspective. Just because a company operates with this perspective from the standpoint of CS doesn't actually mean that the customer IS actually always right. Sometimes the customer is wrong and sometimes the customer abuses the business relationship. Case in point: Costco for many, many years has/had a no questions asked unlimited return policy. Eventually, Costco added restrictions to their return policy (for electronics, for example) since there was a subset of customers that would purchase new tech, use it for a while, and return it for a full refund because they could. The "bad" customers ruined it for the good ones.

Let's bring it back to shoes and AE. I happened to watch the youtube video last night of the interview with the owners of the Dabondo1 account on Ebay. As most of you know, they have had an exclusive account with AE to resell store returns for something like 20 years. The simple fact that AE even accepts these slightly (sometimes more heavily) used shoes as returns tells you all you need to know about the quality of AEs CS. I'm not aware of many shoe companies that accept returns of worn shoes except perhaps in the most extreme cases where the product has failed. But, of course, we know that is NOT the case with Dabondo1's inventory since, generally speaking, the shoes are fine.

One other thing that I found noteworthy about the Dabondo1 interview. I can't recall the specific question that was asked, I think something about their return policy, but the owners retold what they considered to be a remarkable story of a gentlemen that had bought and returned something like 30 pairs of shoes over a relatively short period of time something like 15 or 20 years ago. This was apparently the ONE time that the owners blocked an Ebay user from making purchases. They concluded that the customer probably "had a problem" and they were doing him a favor by cutting him off. I'm not sure that's the conclusion I would have drawn (!!) but they made a business decision that the customer was wrong and terminated the relationship. More likely than not they correctly deemed the person as a problematic customer that would be impossible to satisfy and that it was best to not sell shoes to him anymore. In my view, that was clearly the right decision.

tldr/ the customer isn't always right.

here is the interview, by the way, in case anyone is curious. it's not mine... it's too long but it makes for mildly interesting viewing. Nice people.

I listened to part of this and it was interesting -- thanks for sharing. Anyway, this got me thinking about Alden. Does Alden have someone they sell their used returns to? Does Alden even accept used returns?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Somewhat similarly, as a physician, sometimes I have to fire patients. If they abuse or do not respect the patient physician relationship (and this can occur many different ways), then it is clearly no longer a productive relationship and those patients receive a letter in the mail stating that they may seek care elsewhere.

I have been a servant to people for over 36 years (1/2 serving customers and 1/2 serving patients).
I lead a small team to produce twenty million dollars in customer service (no parts). I have lead several private practice teams that grew from about $250,000.00 to $4 million. We did not dismiss patients (for all of the obvious reasons). Patients can be assholes, but they are NOT customers.
Taking care of good and the not-so-good customer is just part of doing business. Making things right is part of doing business.
I will respectfully disagree. Particularly since I work in a low acuity setting, sometimes it is part of the business. And much, much better for mental well-being on the part of me and my physician partners.

It is an amazing and wonderful realization that you don’t have to put up with being treated like crap. We teach others how we should be treated.

All that said, it is extremely rare for me to pull this card.
And yes, sadly, as physicians we are in the customer service industry, whether one wants to acknowledge it or not.
I am sure you don’t fire your patients very often and being in your field, you probably take a lot of crap. Probably a lot more than doctors with a more affluent clientele. It must be tough treating people with more problems than just their health. I am quite the jerk with some money, I can’t imagine what an asshole that I would be if I felt the entire world just took a crap on me.
I have no idea what sort of patient @BackInTheJox treats but would just suggest that there are difficult people of all different stripes that could be problematic irrespective of financial means. Different problems? maybe. I live in a pretty high income region and have to figure that there is a large contingent that are a huge pain ********** to deal with. I'm not a physician but observe these people in other contexts.

I am not a physician but have a few in the family (Rheumatologist, Oncologist, Emergency Room/Critical Care) so I have gown up around it. In my view, it often seems patients are frustrated by high health care costs and dealing with insurance companies so by the time they get their 15 minutes with the MD, they are already in a bad mood. Those experiences are only made worse when there is an expectation that the MD is available to them 24/7/365 for no additional cost. For a short time I did not live in NYC where I had "connections" into the medical world so I was treated like a "normal patient" and it truly sucked. The level of care was still good but getting it and getting follow up care was like constantly pulling teeth. My worst nightmare is when my father finally retires (mother already did) and my older brother moves away which means I will have to go back to being treated like a regular person/patient. Don't even get me started about when my Uncle/Dentist retires.

I work in the technology field and have led teams for more than 20 years. Often one of them is the Helpdesk and while I do not directly manage day to day operations, it is the most intolerable job due to the "customers". There is never enough time, never enough money, and never enough resources to help everyone as they believe they should be helped. Most people are stressed out and are understanding but you will always have a few that are simply a$$holes not matter what you say or how much you try to help them. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury to fire them as customers but I wish we did because it might make others wise up and treat Helpdesk staff with dignity and respect.

/rant over, back to shoes.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I listened to part of this and it was interesting -- thanks for sharing. Anyway, this got me thinking about Alden. Does Alden have someone they sell their used returns to? Does Alden even accept used returns?
The Alden return policy as I've seen it from a few retailers is VERY strict. Any creases or any wear on the soles and NO return.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I get the sense it is some form of lottery as you said "What's in the box" so a part of me says bravo to you and the other says I am probably not the type to do it myself but it does seem interesting so I want to know more.
Because I live within two hours of a Shoebank, I have quite the experience with the trash and treasure of the DOT shoes. I used to just go in to the outlet and find my size on the wall of DOTS and see if anything was of interest. Now, they seem to keep them in the back room or the warehouse. Makes finding the jewels much harder. Now, I have to go to an SA and ask about what they may have in my size, then they ask what are you looking for and it just is hard to find that hidden jewel. If the shoes are in the warehouse, you just have to buy x amount of boxes and hope you are not returning most of them.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Alden return policy as I've seen it from a few retailers is VERY strict. Any creases or any wear on the soles and NO return.

Apples and Oranges comparison. Allen Edmonds is a large manufacturer who owns all retail stores but is owned by an even bigger shoe brand holding company. Alden is a very small privately owned manufacturer with only two company-owned retail stores with all others being independent retailers.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges comparison. Allen Edmonds is a large manufacturer who owns all retail stores but is owned by an even bigger shoe brand holding company. Alden is a very small privately owned manufacturer with only two company-owned retail stores with all others being independent retailers.

Alden also has a larger international presence and, if I'm not mistaken, they're the number 1 buyer of Horween shell. They are far from being a "very small" manufacturer.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea what sort of patient @BackInTheJox treats but would just suggest that there are difficult people of all different stripes that could be problematic irrespective of financial means.

When I was in active practice I found 90% of my headaches were caused by 10% of my patients.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I work in the technology field. [...] Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury to fire them as customers but I wish we did because it might make others wise up and treat Helpdesk staff with dignity and respect.

Also work in the tech field in similar circumstances. CTOs need "**** you" level compensation in order to address these sorts of circumstances. If a person of that seniority is paid at that level they should be standing up for their team no matter who it is at the company that is treating the staff without the respect and dignity that they are due.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alden also has a larger international presence and, if I'm not mistaken, they're the number 1 buyer of Horween shell. They are far from being a "very small" manufacturer.

A few independent retailers in Japan and France do not make a larger international presence for Alden. Being the #1 buyer of Horween shell is a meaningless comparison when there are many other tanneries that make shell and manufacturers buy from to make their shoes. As a private company, Alden does not have to release financials but I can say with some degree of certainty that Allen Edmonds produces more shoes in a day than Alden could possibly do in a month. Use whatever adjective you want but Allen Edmonds dwarfs Alden in terms of size and production output.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Special makeups. Convoluted world in AE land.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also work in the tech field in similar circumstances. CTOs need "**** you" level compensation in order to address these sorts of circumstances. If a person of that seniority is paid at that level they should be standing up for their team no matter who it is at the company that is treating the staff without the respect and dignity that they are due.

I am at the VP/Director level and with that I say...

Back in the real world, CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, CIOs, and HR do not really care how the "little people" are treated. Departments/Teams like Helpdesk are cost centers (rather than profit centers) and are treated as such.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I am at the VP/Director level and with that I say...

Back in the real world, CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, CIOs, and HR do not really care how the "little people" are treated. Departments/Teams like Helpdesk are cost centers (rather than profit centers) and are treated as such.

Strange as it may seem, I go to work in the real world. Maybe get a job with a firm that has better leadership?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higgundy Mills (yesterday):
E748C7B7-73FE-4006-982F-B4253C4A2223.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads