• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PXL_20210417_055700888~2.jpg

Brand new additions to the Strand museum, thanks to the Anniversary Sale.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I would like to buy some socks off AE and I can’t find their sock size chart. What should I get for my 9 size foot? Thank you in advance

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I could use some advice. During a previous sale I purchased a pair of Kenwood loafers in shell cordovan, in the size in which I typically buy lace-ups. They’re large enough on me that my heel slips out when I walk. They work better with thicker socks, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to wear them without socks, or even with thin dress socks. I tried adding a heel pad, but it made a negligible difference. I wear size 14, so I can’t so god one-half of a size. Is there anything else you would suggest to help me improve the fit? Perhaps a tongue pad?

Hi, foot twin. I wear a 14 in most AEs, but not loafers. I usually have to go down to a 13 and then up in width. Alden makes some loafers in a 13.5 & maybe there’s a UK 12 1/2 loafer out there, but good luck finding them in stock, in your width & in a color you want.

Anyway, tongue pads and/or inserts are usually the way people go. I’ve actually never tried heel pads, but they may work better in combination with tongue pads. Thicker socks work too — if you can tolerate the extra heat.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great collection. What last are the double monks on and how do they fit relative to 65 or 201?
The double monks are the Mora. I wear them in the same size as the 65 last - I don’t remember what last these are on.
Mora is 108. Think 201 with sharper taper. I got too much toe crunch at my 65 size, but many love it.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like to buy some socks off AE and I can’t find their sock size chart. What should I get for my 9 size foot? Thank you in advance
On the socks that they offer sizes, medium would be your best size. Although on some of them a medium might be just a hair small. At 9.5C I get mediums and sometimes large.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tired of paying too much money for subpart results.

For $725 they should be licking and sticking for me. No sanding, no pictures to production. Make it better the first time.

Have you conveyed your concerns to ae? I have never found ae anything other than extremely helpful when problems arise.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of which... My wife got to the anniversary sale box before I could sequester it! She opened it up and had said nothing! Last month, she said no more sores, but she can’t have missed the bone strandmok pair in this box. I’m confused now. Is she waiting for me to fess up?
Hell no, she is waiting on the next disagreement and then pow! She will punch you right in the balls with your extra shoe purchases. It is coming but you won’t see it coming.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After walking about 10 miles in these Woollymoks the dust of Mexico finally made them too dirty to wear. I went to a street shine guy and told him to be careful with the wool. He looked at me and said that the wool is just as dirty as the leather and that they are waterproof so he just soaped up the entire shoe. He wiped them off and waited a minute for them to dry. They were clean and no visible difference. He laced them Euro bar and I went along my merry way.
05D49B13-9007-41F8-A7B1-0D91F761E31B.jpeg

EB37C3E2-DD68-4B83-A5F6-7961EDC13CE9.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After walking about 10 miles in these Woollymoks the dust of Mexico finally made them too dirty to wear. I went to a street shine guy and told him to be careful with the wool. He looked at me and said that the wool is just as dirty as the leather and that they are waterproof so he just soaped up the entire shoe. He wiped them off and waited a minute for them to dry. They were clean and no visible difference. He laced them Euro bar and I went along my merry way.
View attachment 1595106
View attachment 1595111

The Mexicans have a real love of shoe shining. My friend Gilberto said I was the only American who gave a damn about shiny shoes, but if you're wearing dull shoes in Mexico, you'd be a laughing stock.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
When you provide a product or service, the customer must be completely satisfied. My day job and side job share this philosophy. It is NOT a special privilege to purchase shoes from an Allen Edmonds trunk show.
What I meant with accepting "the good with the bad" is that AE will sometimes mess up orders and patience will be required to either have a new one made or find another solution. I've had AE mess up some of mine before, but they found a solution that worked out great for both of us. Please don't take this comment as me saying anyone on here is in the wrong for expressing dissatisfaction with a pair. Not everyone's situation with trunk show shoes has been like mine. I just mean, speaking for myself that AE has always found a solution.

The below comments don't necessarily have anything to do with the recently discussed issues... But in the abstract, I think we all want to do business with companies that live by the "customer is always right" mantra. In my experience and from what I have seen from having participated in this thread for a long time is that AE is that type of company. Great!

But allow me to posit a different perspective. Just because a company operates with this perspective from the standpoint of CS doesn't actually mean that the customer IS actually always right. Sometimes the customer is wrong and sometimes the customer abuses the business relationship. Case in point: Costco for many, many years has/had a no questions asked unlimited return policy. Eventually, Costco added restrictions to their return policy (for electronics, for example) since there was a subset of customers that would purchase new tech, use it for a while, and return it for a full refund because they could. The "bad" customers ruined it for the good ones.

Let's bring it back to shoes and AE. I happened to watch the youtube video last night of the interview with the owners of the Dabondo1 account on Ebay. As most of you know, they have had an exclusive account with AE to resell store returns for something like 20 years. The simple fact that AE even accepts these slightly (sometimes more heavily) used shoes as returns tells you all you need to know about the quality of AEs CS. I'm not aware of many shoe companies that accept returns of worn shoes except perhaps in the most extreme cases where the product has failed. But, of course, we know that is NOT the case with Dabondo1's inventory since, generally speaking, the shoes are fine.

One other thing that I found noteworthy about the Dabondo1 interview. I can't recall the specific question that was asked, I think something about their return policy, but the owners retold what they considered to be a remarkable story of a gentlemen that had bought and returned something like 30 pairs of shoes over a relatively short period of time something like 15 or 20 years ago. This was apparently the ONE time that the owners blocked an Ebay user from making purchases. They concluded that the customer probably "had a problem" and they were doing him a favor by cutting him off. I'm not sure that's the conclusion I would have drawn (!!) but they made a business decision that the customer was wrong and terminated the relationship. More likely than not they correctly deemed the person as a problematic customer that would be impossible to satisfy and that it was best to not sell shoes to him anymore. In my view, that was clearly the right decision.

tldr/ the customer isn't always right.

here is the interview, by the way, in case anyone is curious. it's not mine... it's too long but it makes for mildly interesting viewing. Nice people.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell no, she is waiting on the next disagreement and then pow! She will punch you right in the balls with your extra shoe purchases. It is coming but you won’t see it coming.

As a philosopher, I will paraphrase Nietzsche:

When you go to the shoe store, don't forget your whip.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice. During a previous sale I purchased a pair of Kenwood loafers in shell cordovan, in the size in which I typically buy lace-ups. They’re large enough on me that my heel slips out when I walk. They work better with thicker socks, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to wear them without socks, or even with thin dress socks. I tried adding a heel pad, but it made a negligible difference. I wear size 14, so I can’t so god one-half of a size. Is there anything else you would suggest to help me improve the fit? Perhaps a tongue pad?

A tongue pad is your only option.

Slip on are always a different fit than lace ups. Cordovan, moreover, is always roomier. You gotta be careful with sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads