• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like my Z4 a lot except I can't figure out how to put the roof down. :lol:

I'll be able to wear more of my collection now after getting it at least. That's probably more of an excuse really no reason I couldn't wear more that boots these past several months.

With getting my bike recently I've been wearing my Black HM's (the non-chromexcel ones), I don't remember what AE called the leather just seems like budget loose grain leather so they are motorcycle boots now. I was using my black Surreys with the lug soles but I like them a lot more than the HMs so they are cleaned up and back into casual usage again.

At some point I'll pick up some moto specific boots but finding EEE is gonna be an issue. AE could make some fairly easy just take an HM and add some lateral/medial malleolus protection, heel and toe protection, crush resistant shaft/sole and non slip lug sole.

I do think the Supra is the better option especially in screaming yellow (or whatever they call it). And you already know that a hardtop means a stiffer chassis so more fun in the corners.

I gave up my moto because my current building will not allow me to park it, I am to lazy/worried to leave it at another garage, and I will not leave it on the street. I used LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works® Engineer Boots but the laces always worried me, as well as the heel, so I will probably get a real moto boot when I get a new moto.

If you are set in an AE boot and/or it is the only way to get a EEE, I would replace the sole and heel with a flat bottom wedge type sole such as the Vibram Cristy 4014. I remember the instructor from my MSF safety class I took several years ago drilling into our heads that the last thing you want is a boot with laces (to get caught in the chain) and a heel (to get caught on pavement) both of which can bring you down and kill you.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I've caught the bug, I'm wanting a pair of Chukkas now. Which shade of brown do you think goes with black jeans?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess I've caught the bug, I'm wanting a pair of Chukkas now. Which shade of brown do you think goes with black jeans?

Black (or very dark brown or chili or maybe medium brown) but nothing light such as walnut or tan.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black (or very dark brown or chili or maybe medium brown) but nothing light such as walnut or tan.

I was thinking that, but, I'm seeing a ton of people on pinterest wearing tans so I wasn't sure. I'm looking at these Ventures ATM

VentureChukka_4289_DarkBrownBrown_Angle_web.jpg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was thinking that, but, I'm seeing a ton of people on pinterest wearing tans so I wasn't sure. I'm looking at these Ventures ATM

VentureChukka_4289_DarkBrownBrown_Angle_web.jpg

I'm past the mid century mark, I dress classically, and while I work in the tech Industry I only joined IG and FB about 1 year ago to see pictures of my nieces and nephews so take what i say with a grain of salt. As an example, I would never wear walnut shoes with a navy suit although that has been a thing for a few years now.

I think chili is one of the most versatile colors and I would wear it with any color of jeans to almost any color of chinos: Williamsburg and Nomad

1618254062583.png
1618254111724.png

ZePrez

Reaction score
I'm past the mid century mark, I dress classically, and while I work in the tech Industry I only joined IG and FB about 1 year ago to see pictures of my nieces and nephews so take what i say with a grain of salt. As an example, I would never wear walnut shoes with a navy suit although that has been a thing for a few years now.

I think chili is one of the most versatile colors and I would wear it with any color of jeans to almost any color of chinos: Williamsburg and Nomad

View attachment 1591847 View attachment 1591849
The Williamsburg has to be one of the most versatile shoe/boots around. From chino to suits or Fom winter to Summer. No issue.
I need an additional pair but in black.:)

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm the biggest Higgins Mill fan on this site, but I'm sure there are probably only a handful of people here who love the boot more than I do. I had to think a long, long time about pulling the trigger on a pair of chili leather HMs before deciding against it. I've got the brown CXL and color #8 shell, and I'm not sure how much variance I'm getting by adding this color, no matter how good the deal is.

And it's good.

Real good.

Like, super-good.

If you dare to look, Nordstrom's is offering chili Higgins Mills boots at $191.25. All widths and sizes. They've got a couple other sweet deals on AEs going on right now, but this was the one that jumped out at me. If you don't have a pair, I can't imagine you're going to find a price much better than this for first quality, let alone in an awesome color like chili. I'm probably going to kick myself for not nabbing a pair, but I'm holding out hope for a pair later on this year in a color that contrasts a bit more with the two I've already got. Maybe navy or bourbon shell at a trunk show. Or, maybe one of the suede pairs AE offers. Or, maybe that grain weatherproof version. Or, if the @ae_ashley fairy every grants my wish for a Dublin trunk show, something in tan or cognac.

Anyway, get them while they're hot. Oh, and they're hot.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
1st full day out with the Landsharks.
@ae_ashley Wearing these today felt weird and I could hear a triple tap when walking - back heel, front heel then sole so I did a balance check. This is 4 pennies which comes to 6.08 mm. This is just not good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_140215992.jpg
    IMG_20210412_140215992.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210412_140122492.jpg
    IMG_20210412_140122492.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 33

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm the biggest Higgins Mill fan on this site, but I'm sure there are probably only a handful of people here who love the boot more than I do. I had to think a long, long time about pulling the trigger on a pair of chili leather HMs before deciding against it. I've got the brown CXL and color #8 shell, and I'm not sure how much variance I'm getting by adding this color, no matter how good the deal is.

And it's good.

Real good.

Like, super-good.

If you dare to look, Nordstrom's is offering chili Higgins Mills boots at $191.25. All widths and sizes. They've got a couple other sweet deals on AEs going on right now, but this was the one that jumped out at me. If you don't have a pair, I can't imagine you're going to find a price much better than this for first quality, let alone in an awesome color like chili. I'm probably going to kick myself for not nabbing a pair, but I'm holding out hope for a pair later on this year in a color that contrasts a bit more with the two I've already got. Maybe navy or bourbon shell at a trunk show. Or, maybe one of the suede pairs AE offers. Or, maybe that grain weatherproof version. Or, if the @ae_ashley fairy every grants my wish for a Dublin trunk show, something in tan or cognac.

Anyway, get them while they're hot. Oh, and they're hot.

This beats the introductory sale price of $250 ($200?) back in the day. If I didn't already own a pair in snuff kudu, brown shell, and both natty and brown CXL, I'd be jumping all over a pair in chili as well! Imagine I will add another pair in the future, but they will need to come via @ae_ashley's magic wand.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...If you dare to look, Nordstrom's is offering chili Higgins Mills boots at $191.25. All widths and sizes...Anyway, get them while they're hot. Oh, and they're hot.

Very intrigued but not sure about sizing on the 1757 last. Can someone give me a recommendation?

10D on 511 (Wilbert) works well for me.
9.5E on 65 (PA, 5A, Srand) works for me.

So how does this translate to a 1757 lasted Higgins Mill?
(I have a narrow heel, wide forefoot, average arch, average instep)

Pricing is as follows:
$191.25 Chili Calf
$276.50 Brown CXL
$311.50 Natural CXL

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley Wearing these today felt weird and I could hear a triple tap when walking - back heel, front heel then sole so I did a balance check. This is 4 pennies which comes to 6.08 mm. This is just not good.

That's a fine-looking boot.

I have never heard of the balance test....

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I'll jump in with the internet I'll size you wizzdumb...

I'm currently wearing 12.5 on the 65 have them in both D and E width not sure which I like better
I have a 12E on the 65, think maybe EE would be better they are a tad snug, but they have minimal weara on the (jinglebellmok's)
Higgins Mill 12D damn near perfect, just some slight tightness where the base of the tougne meets the vamp, besides that they fit like a glove (once I use a shoe horn to get my foot in lol!
Everything sneakers, Nike, new balance, asiacs, ect. 13D

Outliers;
Grant Stone leo last boots 11.5E seem to fit great, but boots are forgiving, I know you mentioned heel slipping issues in other threads
Thursday boots, forget the last but got a 12.5 length is good but width is too tight, may move them on or try and have them stretched

Not sure if this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads