• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are these the new Standmoks? Online, the "brown snuff" suede looked, to my eye, to be far darker than the shades of snuff suede that I've admired in the past. Your photograph looks far closer to the shade that I had in mind.

View attachment 1589602

Yes, the Allen Edmonds "Snuff" suede is more brown and darker than the Alden "Snuff" suede which is bit lighter and has more yellow in it. Interestingly, I would call the Allen Edmonds color "Cinnamon" and the Alden "Butterscotch" rather than calling them both "Snuff". Also note that every dye lot will be different.

Left = Carmina Brown suede
Left Center = Alden snuff suede
Right Center = Alden Hummus suede
Right = Allen Edmonds snuff suede

Brown Suede Shoes.jpg

More examples of Alden's "Snuff" suede and Allen Edmonds "Snuff" suede which can vary based on lighting.
IMG_2534.jpg
AE Brown Suede.JPG

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see these 8D pebble grain beauties (and yes, they are marked 8D on the inside)?

Yeah, I saw those - thanks. I don't own anything in grain leather, as I'm just not a fan of it. Those are a nice pair though because they are vintage. I'm curious where this guy is finding all these shoes.

He corrected the other McClain shoe as 9 D. Some lucky 9 D person will get those beautiful shoes.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Allen Edmonds "Snuff" suede is more brown and darker than the Alden "Snuff" suede which is bit lighter and has more yellow in it. Interestingly, I would call the Allen Edmonds color "Cinnamon" and the Alden "Butterscotch" rather than calling them both "Snuff". Also note that every dye lot will be different.

Left = Carmina Brown suede
Left Center = Alden snuff suede
Right Center = Alden Hummus suede
Right = Allen Edmonds snuff suede

View attachment 1590213

More examples of Alden's "Snuff" suede and Allen Edmonds "Snuff" suede which can vary based on lighting.
View attachment 1590217 View attachment 1590215

To me, the AE is definitely more authentic. The Alden's are pretty much Olive Green to my eye. It's a great color, but it's not snuff.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...I'm curious where this guy is finding all these shoes...

From what he told me:
- People like me who bought the wrong size but cannot return them for some reason
- People who want to sell pre-owned shoes
- Companies who want to dump old stock and F2s

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To me, the AE is definitely more authentic. The Alden's are pretty much Olive Green to my eye. It's a great color, but it's not snuff.

To me, the AE is less authentic and more brown/cinnamon than Snuff. All of this is just opinion anyway.

Internet pictures never tell the whole story. They are not olive green and do not have an olive tone either. Your monitor may be rendering the color differently than everyone else's monitors. Unless one is standing in front of an actual shoe, one will never really know the color of it.

Look back at my earlier post and you will realize that the stock looking photo of my Alden Snuff LWB was taken by the shop that sold them yet the picture I took (with my orange socks) is much darker but they are the exact same shoe. As-in, I was sold the pair the retailer used to take the photo. As further proof of how much lighting plays a factor, here are more shots of the exact same shoe (see below). Again, not just any Alden Snuff LWB but all these pictures I have posted were taken at different times of the same pair of Alden 9794 LWB Snuff suede. One cannot ever rely on website pictures for actual in real life color.

attachment_1.jpeg
attachment_2.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg
img_2583-jpg.1590333

IMG_2595.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those - thanks. I don't own anything in grain leather, as I'm just not a fan of it. Those are a nice pair though because they are vintage. I'm curious where this guy is finding all these shoes.

He corrected the other McClain shoe as 9 D. Some lucky 9 D person will get those beautiful shoes.
What last is that McClain made on?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool overcast day seemed like a good enough reason for super-loose grain Higgins Mills. Still my favorite pair of AEs. Just tons of character. Every line in them tells a story. Sure, they're usually long, dumb stories about going to Costco or taking a quick trip to Outback Steak for a couple dozen Bloomin' Onions or maybe the time I was walking through the park and saw that one weird duck that kind of looked like Alec Baldwin. Man, this COVID thing needs to end soon, so I can take the Higgins Mills back on some real adventures.

IMG_4762.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads