• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick trip to Target in crappy weather - calls for the Boulder.
A0075AC4-72CD-4EE9-A495-7E39EDA5F6BD.jpeg
7F288018-CEB8-4CCE-ABFB-EC9C965AD57C.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just me but I have an adversion to white shoes (and spectators...just me) but I am interested in a darkening patina. Will the essex darken with exposure to light, age or both?

If it is like CXL, then the Essex may develop into a really interesting Tan-brown color. If not, then you’ve got a pair of shoes fit for cousin Eddie! Patent leather belt and white Dicky mandatory

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is like CXL, then the Essex may develop into a really interesting Tan-brown color. If not, then you’ve got a pair of shoes fit for cousin Eddie! Patent leather belt and white Dicky mandatory
Essex is actually more like Dublin.

My understanding is that Dublin and Essex are basically cowhide tanned through the same process as shell cordovan (more or less). Dublin is the waxes version of Essex.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essex is actually more like Dublin.

My understanding is that Dublin and Essex are basically cowhide tanned through the same process as shell cordovan (more or less). Dublin is the waxes version of Essex.
Right on!

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great questions.

I’ll defer to @BFT9000 on the loden vs. olive question. I believe they are different, but would need to see them side by side and compare model numbers. The Strand King may have both. ;)
<edit> 6346 is the olive, and I think loden was also the same number...so “same” may be the correct answer.

As for the nano spray, I‘m sure it depends on frequency of use and abuse/exposure. I don’t wear my suede often enough or abuse them enough to apply more than annually. If I wore them 2-4 times a month and exposed them to rain/sleet/snow, I might apply more frequently.

Yup those look like the loden suede Strands to me. Beautiful shoe! One of the first ones I bought, actually.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20210306_115111.jpg

Swapped in some waxed round laces on my Higgins Mill, those flat waxed ones they come with are too tight in the holes (twss) so it makes it difficult taking the off and putting them on, these don't bind up and are much easier to loosen/tighten

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Mountain conditions weren’t as nice on the Higgins mills as they were on the eyes, particularly the slushy/salty parking lot.

many idea on how to get these salt slush stains out of the leather? I’ve wiped with a damp cloth and hit it wi the sole conditioner so far.
2B0A4A34-A660-4A93-97C4-050D16A76777.jpeg

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mountain conditions weren’t as nice on the Higgins mills as they were on the eyes, particularly the slushy/salty parking lot.

many idea on how to get these salt slush stains out of the leather? I’ve wiped with a damp cloth and hit it wi the sole conditioner so far.
View attachment 1568547
Try 50/50 water to white vinegar mix and condition after they dry completely

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

View attachment 1568547
Try 50/50 water to white vinegar mix and condition after they dry completely

As far as I understand, you want to neutralize the salt so it does not damage the leather and what @ccpl14 suggested should work. For actually removing the stain (which is not always possible), you can try something like "Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap" or a Saddle soap (which is harsher on the leather) to clean, then let completely dry, and then condition.

PANJ

Reaction score
Yes, and yes! In fact, the same one (#256). Propped up next to the not quite visible (hopefully) trash can each day. Y'all feel free to use Filson tan it as a color benchmark. Likewise, feel free to ignore the lousy work carpet.

I have noticed in the trunk show pics the most commonly displayed tread is white. Also, not surprised to learn that the Courtside is leading the pack. I mean, if you want to buy a fancy tennis shoe, buy something that looks like a tennis shoe.

I will now run and duck for cover.
I regret that I did not discover Filson bags sooner; love my original briefcase, also in tan; lightyears ahead of what I had been using.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1568542
Swapped in some waxed round laces on my Higgins Mill, those flat waxed ones they come with are too tight in the holes (twss) so it makes it difficult taking the off and putting them on, these don't bind up and are much easier to loosen/tighten

Totally agree. They are too wide. I thought they might work better for bigger men than myself, but perhaps I was wrong. I use Alden laces on mine.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand, you want to neutralize the salt so it does not damage the leather and what @ccpl14 suggested should work. For actually removing the stain (which is not always possible), you can try something like "Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap" or a Saddle soap (which is harsher on the leather) to clean, then let completely dry, and then condition.
Often a mix of vinegar and water will remove water stains by itself. If it improves with one application, but the stain is not completely gone, repeat a second (or third) time.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. They are too wide. I thought they might work better for bigger men than myself, but perhaps I was wrong. I use Alden laces on mine.
I'm 6'2" 195# size 13 sneaker and size 12 higgins, I'm average not big ;), I ordered some kevlar waxed laces for the boots but they didnt get here yet, so I stole these from another pair i have and they worked as i expected. I'll look on Aldens website and check their laces out!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" 195# size 13 sneaker and size 12 higgins, I'm average not big ;), I ordered some kevlar waxed laces for the boots but they didnt get here yet, so I stole these from another pair i have and they worked as i expected. I'll look on Aldens website and check their laces out!

You could always order through Laccico, and maybe they'll arrive in 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads