• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to get tacos from my favorite place for dinner tonight (went with a lengua, a chile relleno, and a pork belly one - I regret nothing!). Since I was getting my favorite food from my favorite place, I figured it was only appropriate to wear my favorite AEs.

IMG_4618.jpg

ZePrez

Reaction score
Hi

Allen Edmonds is often taken for granted and seems to be too often criticized for quality issues. I joined the AE club about 7 years ago, thanks to the "dappered.com" blog. It has been a consistently good to excellent experience: Great leather, comfortable shoes out of the box. I have seen instances where the finish/coloring could have been better on some tan shoes. Overall a pleasant experience.
I became aware of this after I received, a pair of Chelsea boots from a celebrated Spaniard brand. They fit well and are IMO on a par finish-wise with AE... but the leather may need some serious and extended break-in, with my feet being the breaker... Putting those on my foot is simply not fun. Well made , good last, bottom is a subtle rubber well embedded in leather surround, footing is incredible, you kind of know you won't slip but the shoe feels rigid... it is there hard on your foot .. You walk around but , you're very aware of wearing something hard on your foot
Comparing this to my Liverpool AE, right out off the box , makes me realize how good AE is... I have had similar experiences with various AE boots and shoes. Truth to be told the other Chelsea looks a mile better and more "refined" than the Liverpool IMO but ...
Hope AE keeps the quality intact and improves where necessary. I have some "vintage" (90's Shell) NOS AE and they feel the same as the new 2015-onward ones. AE remains my goto for dress shoes and boots.

Once in a while one must congratulate a manufacturer.

A bit of a rambling ...

Cheers!

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think I finally figured out why I could never pull the trigger on a Bourbon shoe...because it is the same color as my kitchen cabinets that I have been staring at more than ever in the current WFH situation.

IMG_2506.jpg
1614343902999.png
1614343934357.png

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is often taken for granted and seems to be too often criticized for quality issues. I joined the AE club about 7 years ago, thanks to the "dappered.com" blog. It has been a consistently good to excellent experience: Great leather, comfortable shoes out of the box. I have seen instances where the finish/coloring could have been better on some tan shoes...

...AE is a tough one to figure these days but I still say the Strand is simply the best designed shoe...

AE is tough to figure out, the foray into athletic shoe like things, production offshore, then back to US. I think I'll stick to Alden, I know what I'm getting, know where it's made, and no tennis shoes.

While I have mostly owned Alden x Brooks Brothers for many years and known about AE for probably just as long, it was only in the past 24 months I have actually ordered/purchased anything from AE. As such, I feel like I missed the Golden Age of AE before it became merely a machine to chase trends and increase profits for their hedge fund and now corporate overlords. It would be interesting to see what the company could be, or go back to, if the employees bought it and made it private again.

I might even know the person to do it. Gary Smith was formerly the CEO of PolarTech and prior to that President of Timberland before he purchased Independent Fabrication. IF is a high end custom bicycle maker that was originally started in Boston and employee owned but mismanaged because while they knew how to make bicycles they lacked the knowledge of how to run a profitable company. Gary purchased 80% while the employees still own 20% and he moved them to New Hampshire. After several years he made the company not only profitable but their products are as well built and desired as they have always been.

I know a small custom bicycle maker is not that same as Allen Edmonds, but Gary did run Timberland and PolarTech for many years so he could probably do the job at Allen Edmonds. My uninformed assumption is that AE has wonderful employees who have always wanted to make and sell great products but are now being forced to make products faster and not as good under tighter quotas all in the hopes of making a few extra dollars of profit for their current corporate overlords, Calares.

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really enjoy @Roycru posts with his sardonic wit and general disdain for life itself so I think this graphic is a great way to honor his contributions to StyleForum. I only hope to be as cool as he is when I reach that age.

1614345600839.png

(disclaimer: I did not create the graphic but I do really like it)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads