• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schweezly

Reaction score
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I thought my shoes trees had possibly damaged my shoes but now I think they came that way.

probably. Would be wild if trees caused it.

I've never had this happen on a pair of AEs, but I don't own a Williamsburg because as someone from Brooklyn, wearing a shoe named Williamsburg would make me want to kill myself.

lol

From my experience (and not just AE), it is often one of two things:
  • A sock liner that was not perfectly flat when glued (can be easily seen)
  • Cork that was not evenly distributed when originally installed (cannot be easily seen)
One of the upsides of the "hot cork method" used by AE (and other manufacturers) is that it can completely fill the void in-between the insole and midsole (or outsole if no midsole) but one of the downsides is that if not done correctly it can create ridges and/or hotspots for the wearer. My best advice is to exchange them if they have not been worn, if worn give it some time as it may cure itself with pressure from your foot over time because cork does compress somewhat, and last resort is a full resole to replace the cork.

I have this issue with a new pair of AEs. I am going to wear them for a few weeks and if it does not settle down and lay flat, I am going for a full resole and cork replacement. If the pair I have were not so inexpensive on sale, a model no longer made, and I did not really like them, I would have already returned them.

fair enough, leaning that way

DawgPound

Reaction score
Good times!

Some time after Covid chills down a bit more, we'll have to make it happen. There's a few of us local that'll need to get some repressed shoe energy out then. I've worn non-athletic shoes exactly three times in the last year! :confused::eek:
Count me in!

aapmm

Reaction score
Mahogany landons
23F709A9-034B-4840-BB04-2E5A2FB72A97.jpeg
4533DAA9-A703-4477-BF92-2584D987D170.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Wished I could’ve made it work out and join you!

I know! Next time! You missed a good time.

Good times!

Some time after Covid chills down a bit more, we'll have to make it happen. There's a few of us local that'll need to get some repressed shoe energy out then. I've worn non-athletic shoes exactly three times in the last year! :confused::eek:

Had a blast!

Holy smokes! That's wild how much has changed.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A day late and a dollar short for Wingtip Wednesday, which color would you buy (and why): Coffee or Oxblood?
(and both is not an option)

View attachment 1562431 View attachment 1562432

Depends on what you already have but in the abstract I'd go coffee. Coffee is a nice shade of brown you can dress up or down and wear with jeans. It's probably a bit more versatile (though I love oxblood and it's hella versatile as far as coordinating colors goes I don't think it works as well with casual attire)

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve got four briefcases and thanks to WFH I only ever use one of them. One of these days I might cave and sell off one or two of them. Maybe. At some point normalcy will return and then I’ll have the “which of these is JUST large enough to carry all of the stuff I need today?”
Was in a similar situation, then retired. Kept a Filson24 hour bag, and a Chapman Troutbeck bag and got rid of the rest.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Putting the wings into Wingtip Wednesday, Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGillicuddys and Amtrak carpeting.

View attachment 1562122

For fans of watch pictures in shoe threads, checking a Hamilton 992B Railway Special pocket watch to make sure Amtrak Train 768, a southbound Pacific Serfliner, departs on time. (It did.)

View attachment 1562124

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, once again waving at the San Juan Capistrano YouTube depot cam shortly after Train 768 arrived. Always wave my hand back and forth over my head, the hand signal for "Apply Brakes".

View attachment 1562128

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, does Champagne count as food? Went to The Tea House On Los Rios in San Juan Capistrano again today.

View attachment 1562130

For those who don't think Champagne counts as food, had Trifle (the kind with lots of alcohol in it) for dessert. When you are on the train you can do things like this.

Blew the candle out before it set the alcohol on fire.

View attachment 1562132

Happy Birthday! And Champagne is a food

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads