• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A day late, but I have them on this week.
A9A6FC95-FEE4-481F-BBEB-F750763AD11F.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A day late and a dollar short for Wingtip Wednesday, which color would you buy (and why): Coffee or Oxblood?
(and both is not an option)

1614267525475.png
1614267549218.png

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have the suede Surrey chelsea boots? If so, how have you found their “weatherproof“ qualities? Also, how is the fit with the Poron?

TIA

schweezly

Reaction score
Anyone have shoes that feel like there’s a ridge down the middle of the footbed when new? Have it on a pair of my Williamsburg, you can physically feel it with your hand in both. Wondering if it’s a one off thing and if it’ll settle with wear.

I wouldn’t say it hurts or anything, but would probably be annoying long term if it doesn’t settle under the ball

SumDude

Reaction score
A day late and a dollar short for Wingtip Wednesday, which color would you buy (and why): Coffee or Oxblood?
(and both is not an option)

Oxblood! Just seems to have more visual interest and highlights the details more. The coffee color does look better in person compared to the pictures though. Just my beginner $.02.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
Anyone have shoes that feel like there’s a ridge down the middle of the footbed when new? Have it on a pair of my Williamsburg, you can physically feel it with your hand in both. Wondering if it’s a one off thing and if it’ll settle with wear.

I wouldn’t say it hurts or anything, but would probably be annoying long term if it doesn’t settle under the ball
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I thought my shoes trees had possibly damaged my shoes but now I think they came that way.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I thought my shoes trees had possibly damaged my shoes but now I think they came that way.

I've never had this happen on a pair of AEs, but I don't own a Williamsburg because as someone from Brooklyn, wearing a shoe named Williamsburg would make me want to kill myself.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

From my experience (and not just AE), it is often one of two things:
  • A sock liner that was not perfectly flat when glued (can be easily seen)
  • Cork that was not evenly distributed when originally installed (cannot be easily seen)
One of the upsides of the "hot cork method" used by AE (and other manufacturers) is that it can completely fill the void in-between the insole and midsole (or outsole if no midsole) but one of the downsides is that if not done correctly it can create ridges and/or hotspots for the wearer. My best advice is to exchange them if they have not been worn, if worn give it some time as it may cure itself with pressure from your foot over time because cork does compress somewhat, and last resort is a full resole to replace the cork.

I have this issue with a new pair of AEs. I am going to wear them for a few weeks and if it does not settle down and lay flat, I am going for a full resole and cork replacement. If the pair I have were not so inexpensive on sale, a model no longer made, and I did not really like them, I would have already returned them.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One year ago today had my first Styleforum meet up on a business trip to Phoenix and free seat upgrades at the Suns game!

Indy color 8 on commando for me and bourbon shell Higgins Mill on leather for @aero25. View attachment 1562170 View attachment 1562171

Hopefully will meet some more people who have too many shoes in the closet like me!
Good times!
Very cool! Wished I could’ve made it work out and join you!
Some time after Covid chills down a bit more, we'll have to make it happen. There's a few of us local that'll need to get some repressed shoe energy out then. I've worn non-athletic shoes exactly three times in the last year! :confused::eek:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had this happen on 2 pairs of Strandmok's, for me the issue cleared it self up after a few wears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads