• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has been a couple of years since I was active on SF. Rumors of GMTOs and trunk shows brought me out from underneath my rock. For my old school weasels, the answer is "both, and some shell." For the newbies, please remember "fit is king."

Overall, glad to see things haven't changed. I hope everyone is wearing their shoes in good health. Like some, my purchases came to a halt in 2020. Also over the last year, my professional attire has shifted in quite the casual direction. That, coupled with on-going foot issues, has me considering a... sneaker makeup or two.

As many of you may recall, I've been the president of the anti dress sneaker fan club. That said I was hoping that a grey suede strand on white or black and/or a natty CXL courtside on brick would be a decent casual makeup. Am I crazy? Keep in mind chronic foot pain will drive you to almost anything.

Along those same lines, could a park with a copper upper and black sole be "hidden" enough as a semi dress shoe, for situations where you'd be on your feet at an all day event (e.g., where many would be in bad chinos and bad sneakers)??

And lastly, since I know this thread is better with pictures... this popped up on my phone as a memory from 2 or 3 years ago. Some oldy but goodies amongst my early stable of boots.

yes, a Park sneaker on a black sole passes easily as a “non-sneaker” sneaker. You will be comfortable and very few, if any will notice. D8CC0338-1CA1-41BD-A48C-844496CB53B5.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has been a couple of years since I was active on SF. Rumors of GMTOs and trunk shows brought me out from underneath my rock. For my old school weasels, the answer is "both, and some shell." For the newbies, please remember "fit is king."

Overall, glad to see things haven't changed. I hope everyone is wearing their shoes in good health. Like some, my purchases came to a halt in 2020. Also over the last year, my professional attire has shifted in quite the casual direction. That, coupled with on-going foot issues, has me considering a... sneaker makeup or two.

As many of you may recall, I've been the president of the anti dress sneaker fan club.
That said I was hoping that a grey suede strand on white or black and/or a natty CXL courtside on brick would be a decent casual makeup. Am I crazy? Keep in mind chronic foot pain will drive you to almost anything.

Along those same lines, could a park with a copper upper and black sole be "hidden" enough as a semi dress shoe, for situations where you'd be on your feet at an all day event (e.g., where many would be in bad chinos and bad sneakers)??

If comfort and casual (but not too casual) is the issue, my vote is for a Wilbert (which I own). As to dress sneakers, I think they live in no mans land so go full in and get an actual sneaker: CXL courtside on brick.

yes, a Park sneaker on a black sole passes easily as a “non-sneaker” sneaker. You will be comfortable and very few, if any will notice.

View attachment 1561249

What about the side view?

ronscuba

Reaction score
If comfort and casual (but not too casual) is the issue, my vote is for a Wilbert (which I own). As to dress sneakers, I think they live in no mans land so go full in and get an actual sneaker: CXL courtside on brick.

What about the side view?
For your shoe purchases, do you tend to buy from the in store stock or online ? We are lucky many of the known manufacturers have boutiques in NYC. My problem is having small feet and finding my size.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For your shoe purchases, do you tend to buy from the in store stock or online ? We are lucky many of the known manufacturers have boutiques in NYC. My problem is having small feet and finding my size.

I assume you are referencing my earlier AE post (and maybe a Carmina post as well) so here are my answers:
  • 1 AE Wilbert in-store pre-pandemic and still have it.
  • 30+ AE of all sorts online during pandemic - all returned mostly due to QC issues (several were used to determine sizing on different lasts because three different stores gave me three different measurements on Brannock pre-pandemic)
  • 2 Carminas online during pandemic (NYC store does not stock Detroit last) - 1 returned because shoes were not the same color
  • 2 Aldens online during pandemic. 1 should have been returned due to heel being noticeably narrower/shorter than other one and installed crooked but was not bad enough (according to retailer) and I got a small discount for purchasing two at the same time so I had to agree to no returns.
Unfortunately my foot size changed and I was going more casual just about the same time we went into lockdown so I have not had the opportunity to visit stores. Even though many are now open I still do not think it is safe to visit any of them. I am probably going to sit on the sidelines until I have been vaccinated and the country has herd immunity before I purchase anything else in-person but I am 100% done with online for now (and possibly forever).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you are referencing my earlier AE post (and maybe a Carmina post as well) so here are my answers:
  • 30+ AE of all sorts online during pandemic - all returned mostly due to QC issues (several were used to determine sizing on different lasts because three different stores gave me three different measurements on Brannock pre-pandemic)
  • 2 Carminas online during pandemic (NYC store does not stock Detroit last) - 1 returned because shoes were not the same color
  • 2 Aldens online during pandemic. 1 should have been returned due to heel being noticeably narrower/shorter than other one and installed crooked but was not bad enough (according to retailer) and I got a small discount for purchasing two at the same time so I had to agree to no returns.
Unfortunately my foot size changed and I was going more casual just about the same time we went into lockdown so I have not had the opportunity to visit stores. Even though many are now open I still do not think it is safe to visit any of them. I am probably going to sit on the sidelines until I have been vaccinated and the country has herd immunity before I purchase anything else in-person but I am 100% done with online for now (and possibly forever).

Jeez. 30+ AEs? No wonder there are so many 2nds floating about.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No decent footwear stores anywhere near me, 2.5 hour drive, one way, to closest AE store, Alden is over 4 hours away, so I'm stuck with online.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Jeez. 30+ AEs? No wonder there are so many 2nds floating about.

Only about 3-4 pairs of those were seconds. I gave up on F2s quickly knowing they are not for me. And about 7-10 were for sizing issues on different lasts so I still sent back about 20 pairs that had significant QC issues.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No decent footwear stores anywhere near me, 2.5 hour drive, one way, to closest AE store, Alden is over 4 hours away, so I'm stuck with online.

I can't really help you with AE because their online is very good but...

One I have had the vaccine and there is herd immunity, I will be happy to be your eyes and ears for AoM, Moulded Shoe, Leffot, and occasionally TSM all via FaceTime if that will help. A few times a year I might also be able to help you at Louie Retail in the Boston area (when my wife and I visit her mother).

Apparently, LaRossa Shoe Repair, which is owned by the same family, is at the same location, and pre-dates Louie Retail is one of a few, if not the only one, who can replace the official Alden commando sole without your shoes being sent back to the factory.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only about 3-4 pairs of those were seconds. I gave up on F2s quickly knowing they are not for me. And about 7-10 were for sizing issues on different lasts so I still sent back about 20 pairs that had significant QC issues.

When you buy and return unworn shoes they become seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads