• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck McFate

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone here has owned a pair of Strandmoks in brown "bright saddle leather" and worn them frequently enough to be able to provide an answer to this question: What kind of care have you used on them, considering the following?

On the AE web page for the shoe, the earliest official AE response to a question about care of the shoe stated, "We do not recommend using polish on this leather. The Brown Strandmok was designed with a unique finish that reveals the gold tone color underneath with normal wear. Keep in mind, this type of finish will 'brush off' and this is 100% intentional. Regular polish will not cover these marks and if used it will not match the finish. The finish will permanently be removed in the areas for a worn, casual look." That was four years ago. Three years ago the answer remained pretty much the same: a fantastic "distressed/vintage" aesthetic seemed to be the goal. Two years ago, the answer seemed to be changing, as they were suggesting AE brown cream polish.

I own a pair of these and I love them and don't mind letting them be. I'm looking forward to seeing the "gold" under the brown. All I'm doing is brushing them regularly, but it's early days for them. Perhaps someone here has achieved the "distressed/vintage" look already and can show what they look like. Perhaps someone has been disappointed, given up and just polished them back to brown.

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. Thanks for any input.

gv7123456

Reaction score
Monday bourbon shell
38CBA804-EB7A-402D-A314-9AA2FE60D0BA.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy 2021, I haven't been taking many photos although I have picked up a few pairs recently (Really liking the Cigar Strands, nice color and the Frosties as well. I need new laces for them I don't care for the tinsel stretch ones they came with; using some tan ones for now).

My Surrey cap toes have been getting a lot of wear lately. The leather is soft and pliable, built in pull strap and lug sole and they seem to have a tad more room than the HM's so I can wear thicker socks. 1757 last is still my best fit.

IMG_5052.jpg

I'll be switching to a more purpose driven boot soon but for now these are working well.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I called the LWB's Addison when they are actually Brooks Brothers Aberdeen x AE.

Addison loafers are different shoes all together:
View attachment 1542606

Surprised no one caught that mislabeling. Must be too early.

I really like that Samurai. My brother has it. If you want to kick it up a notch (apologies to Emeril)...

Have the work done by this person if you do not want to do it yourself (I've used him for several Seiko mods):

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone here has owned a pair of Strandmoks in brown "bright saddle leather" and worn them frequently enough to be able to provide an answer to this question: What kind of care have you used on them, considering the following?

On the AE web page for the shoe, the earliest official AE response to a question about care of the shoe stated, "We do not recommend using polish on this leather. The Brown Strandmok was designed with a unique finish that reveals the gold tone color underneath with normal wear. Keep in mind, this type of finish will 'brush off' and this is 100% intentional. Regular polish will not cover these marks and if used it will not match the finish. The finish will permanently be removed in the areas for a worn, casual look." That was four years ago. Three years ago the answer remained pretty much the same: a fantastic "distressed/vintage" aesthetic seemed to be the goal. Two years ago, the answer seemed to be changing, as they were suggesting AE brown cream polish.

I own a pair of these and I love them and don't mind letting them be. I'm looking forward to seeing the "gold" under the brown. All I'm doing is brushing them regularly, but it's early days for them. Perhaps someone here has achieved the "distressed/vintage" look already and can show what they look like. Perhaps someone has been disappointed, given up and just polished them back to brown.

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. Thanks for any input.
I do not have these.
The brown Strandmoks that I’ve seen with the gold (tan) underneath had some of the gold showing on the toes and possibly by the heels even when new.
They seem to add new leathers to the Strandmok design, and discontinue others. I hope that they didn’t add a new brown leather and copy an old product description.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mentioned Milhouse before, and thought I should give an update.

Milhouse came to us to foster until he was big enough to be adopted. Just as he was big enough to be adopted, we noticed something wasn’t quite right. It was subtle at first, but reminded us of a cat we had a few years earlier that passed away from FIP.

After some extensive testing, it was eventually determined that Milhouse had FIP. This disease is a death sentence to cats (more than 99% fatal). We had heard of an experimental treatment, and decided to try it. It required us to give him a shot every day for 84 days, then observe him for another 84 days. There was periodic lab testing as well. This was expensive for us to do — it cost more than a couple pairs of cordovan boots. (I skipped the trunk show.)

Milhouse recently finished his 84 days of observation, and his lab results looked good. We have good news. He is now considered CURED.

34ABA011-CBC1-42E8-8A1E-561D521C931C.jpeg

The bow tie was for this special occasion. He has also adopted me and plans to stay with us.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday friends,

Spent the weekend in southern Utah at my Mom's place, mostly changing light bulbs and opening jars. I always enjoy a weekend away where it is warmer, all the better if I don't need snake boots and leather gloves. :)

$280 F2 Patriots today.

View attachment 1542934
Shell Patriots on a natural reverse welt? The stuff of dreams. Nice score!

Patriot GMTO anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads