• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted this over in the BST trade. Anyone interested in some black PA’s?

AFC0DFAE-202C-4943-9A8D-53CAAFEE7BAC.jpeg 7AE8276B-EF3C-4614-A4E9-E9AAC751C235.jpeg 7DDE6810-E915-4F59-A9BE-AC3D25119F2F.jpeg

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Had a similar issue on a shell pair after 6+ years - AE paid for shipping both ways and resolved my stitching issue. Good luck!
That's awesome to hear! It's going to rain and my heart sank putting these on today. I'll call my AE store on Monday.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the results of the oil remover product. Since I was going to do my next video on natural cxl boots, I think will include a short description of how I used the product. As you can see, there's a faint trace of it in the leather, but it looks more like natural cxl variation. It removes oil, including the oils in the natural cxl -- so be careful with it. I'm happy these recovered well after a few times of using the product.

Before:
IMG_2081.JPG
After:
IMG_2103.JPG
Me wearing them today:
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes from yesterday... cleaning out my fathers house some more. It’s taking so long. Today he came over and we all relaxed at my house. With his dogs now rehomed, I need to clear out my office so my father can move on here. That’s tomorrow’s plan—morning at his house clearing things and then afternoon at mine clearing things.
8EB66C7A-C837-4F07-9EBB-D5D878D3C698.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the results of the oil remover product. Since I was going to do my next video on natural cxl boots, I think will include a short description of how I used the product. As you can see, there's a faint trace of it in the leather, but it looks more like natural cxl variation. It removes oil, including the oils in the natural cxl -- so be careful with it. I'm happy these recovered well after a few times of using the product.

Before:
View attachment 1542269
After:
View attachment 1542270
Me wearing them today:
View attachment 1542273
View attachment 1542275
Glad you were able to fix them!

you inspired me to check on my ravello strain; completely gone.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 1542269
After:
View attachment 1542270
Me wearing them today:
View attachment 1542273
View attachment 1542275
What was the oil removal product, again?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoes from yesterday... cleaning out my fathers house some more. It’s taking so long. Today he came over and we all relaxed at my house. With his dogs now rehomed, I need to clear out my office so my father can move on here. That’s tomorrow’s plan—morning at his house clearing things and then afternoon at mine clearing things.
View attachment 1542277
It's nice he can move in with you. We had my Mom here for 3 yrs prior to her passing, and it worked out very nicely, she was happy, she helped around here as best she could, pleasant 3 yrs for all.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@ae_ashley

The stitching on the captoe on my TS19.1 pairs is busted. Can AE fix this? $725 for a boot that can't last 2 years isn't very good.

Coincidentally, I just watched a youtube video of a similar repair yesterday. You should watch this so that you can ask more informed questions about the repair prior to sending it to AE or elsewhere. It appears from your photos that the shell is still in good condition unlike the boots in the video. Although the method shown in the video is probably the best way to do the repair, I had a few stitches break on the vamp of a pair of Rider shell wingtips a few years ago and had about a half inch or so of stitches done at the point of failure, which was a trivial job and not noticeable (ie. without taking the whole shoe apart). They were much more highly decorated than the FA though and you also have a longer run of failed stitches.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just watched a youtube video of a similar repair yesterday. You should watch this so that you can ask more informed questions about the repair prior to sending it to AE or elsewhere. It appears from your photos that the shell is still in good condition unlike the boots in the video. Although the method shown in the video is probably the best way to do the repair, I had a few stitches break on the vamp of a pair of Rider shell wingtips a few years ago and had about a half inch or so of stitches done at the point of failure, which was a trivial job and not noticeable (ie. without taking the whole shoe apart). They were much more highly decorated than the FA though and you also have a longer run of failed stitches.

I have watched a lot of his video's and the guy is simply an artist.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of his video's and the guy is simply an artist.

Agree! Incidentally, I actually don't like how this particular repair job turned out although he made the best of what he had to deal with. I think the only other option would have been to replace the entire cap toe, which would have also been problematic (for obvious reasons). Fortunately for @Coffandcig the leather on the FAs appears to be in excellent shape still so the results should be pretty much flawless so long as the job is done correctly.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 1542269
After:
View attachment 1542270
Me wearing them today:
View attachment 1542273
View attachment 1542275
Looking good. Now—no criss-cross applesauce on cement or anything. They’re finally fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads