• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing khaki grain McTavishes on Wingtip Wednesday.

IMG_5947.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a Spanish Colonial Revival tile stairway and me.

IMG_5945.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Continuing with casual shoes because it looks like I'll be working at home until next Fall. But at least I'm working, and I'm grateful for that.

View attachment 1539406

Still holding out hope that this Saphir product will successfully remove the cooking oil in my Higgins. I'm pretty sad about this because I just bought them in December. Because the oil stain was 3 weeks old by the time the product arrived, it might be too late. We shall see. Every one of you should have some of this oil remover stuff around at your home. I can almost guarantee this will happen to everyone on here at some point -- learn from my mistake!

View attachment 1539407
I dropped oil on my ravellos again.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing with casual shoes because it looks like I'll be working at home until next Fall. But at least I'm working, and I'm grateful for that.

View attachment 1539406

Still holding out hope that this Saphir product will successfully remove the cooking oil in my Higgins. I'm pretty sad about this because I just bought them in December. Because the oil stain was 3 weeks old by the time the product arrived, it might be too late. We shall see. Every one of you should have some of this oil remover stuff around at your home. I can almost guarantee this will happen to everyone on here at some point -- learn from my mistake!

View attachment 1539407
Oh no! Sorry this happened to you and your boots.

I smoked the toe on my 9501s with some oil or grease from the kitchen and a poor initial clean up attempt. They came out okay in the end, but they’ll never be the same.

What’s more annoying almost is that I’ve previously dumped half a beer on them and they cleaned up without any sign of the incident.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I dropped oil on my ravellos again.

Oh no! Sorry this happened to you and your boots.

I smoked the toe on my 9501s with some oil or grease from the kitchen and a poor initial clean up attempt. They came out okay in the end, but they’ll never be the same.

What’s more annoying almost is that I’ve previously dumped half a beer on them and they cleaned up without any sign of the incident.

This might seem a bit out there but why not then put oil all over them to make the color/finish consistent? They 9501 already has fats and oils impregnated as part of the tanning process (not sure about the shell ravellos).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1539406

View attachment 1539407
Do post photos of the after. Which Saphir product are you using?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to catch up legitimately, but there were already 56 pages. I think I made it through six.

Wearing the beloved brown OG Higgins Mills as I type this. You’ll have to take my word for it.

Well reset my counter. First shoe purchase since April 2020. Practically knocked out of the 2021 shoe game before the year even got rolling but hey.

Two AE topics.

1) Are GMTOs happening again?

2) When you decide to sell a pair of your AEs, how do you come up with the price? I really need to thin out my collection to only the stuff that has a shot at being worn.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to catch up legitimately, but there were already 56 pages. I think I made it through six.

Wearing the beloved brown OG Higgins Mills as I type this. You’ll have to take my word for it.

Well reset my counter. First shoe purchase since April 2020. Practically knocked out of the 2021 shoe game before the year even got rolling but hey.

Two AE topics.

2) When you decide to sell a pair of your AEs, how do you come up with the price? I really need to thin out my collection to only the stuff that has a shot at being worn.

1. Yes. There is a GMTO Shark/Shell Landon on JR. The shark is black, but there are options for burg or black shell and limited navy shell.
  2. Are you selling discontinued lines or things in production?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two AE topics.

I just go on eBay, see what that model is asking, and go from there. Or just take them to the Goodwill and donate, then claim full retail on taxes :)

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just go on eBay, see what that model is asking, and go from there. Or just take them to the Goodwill and donate, then claim full retail on taxes :)
I've done the same thing with eBay. Never thought about the goodwill angle though. Smart.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might seem a bit out there but why not then put oil all over them to make the color/finish consistent? They 9501 already has fats and oils impregnated as part of the tanning process (not sure about the shell ravellos).
It was considered. Not off the table entirely down the road.

I believe @audog did something similar with a pair of suede something after a cooking accident.
  1. Yes. There is a GMTO Shark/Shell Landon on JR. The shark is black, but there are options for burg or black shell and limited navy shell.
  2. Are you selling discontinued lines or things in production?
1. Nice. Does that also mean there are future possibilities or is this a one-off?

2. Most to all of what I would be selling is discontinued.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe @audog did something similar with a pair of suede something after a cooking accident.

1. Nice. Does that also mean there are future possibilities or is this a one-off?

I think there are neat things coming. More trunk shows and something special in the last half of the year I heard.

selling discontinued items is harder. If it’s exotic or highly sought after, you can get more.... I’d set a price you are willing to accept and then place it for a good bit more, accepting offers and see what you can negotiate

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had a nice pair of snuff suede Alden boots that got some citronella mosquito repellent oil on them, never could get the oil spot out, so took neatsfoot oil and darkened the entire boots so the oil spot was no longer visible. Of course, this changed the entire look of the boots, from snuff suede to basically reverse tobacco...Still nice, for a casual boot, but not what I wanted, so they were donated to a "saw the boot in half and see how it's constructed" project, a member here was going to conduct...and that to my knowledge, has yet to be done. One pair lost in the ozone so to speak.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1539406

View attachment 1539407
[edited because question had already been asked and answered ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads