• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptfly

Reaction score
The first shell I purchased. Still the best fitting of my horse butt collection.
PA shell.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the Silverlakes back from the cobbler, $150 from the bay after tax and shipping, and $60 for sole swap at local cobbler, so all in $210, and now I think they look pretty damn good! They are super light and comfortable!!
20210118_130846.jpg

20210118_130837.jpg

20210118_130333.jpg

20210118_130320.jpg

20210118_130308.jpg

Coffandcig

Reaction score

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One tag goes red, white, blue and the other goes blue, white, red. You got an american boot and a french boot.
I forget what country my wife says the flag is from, she didnt immediately think USA because the colors are kinda ****** on the tag

Rithrin

Reaction score
True. Jeans have a way of making lots of things work for some reason.

The front of the boot will be burgundy. That’s the main part that will be seen.

Burgundy is one of the most versatile colors you can wear. It looks good with tan and khaki, for example, and black by itself normally would not. It’s not as formal as black, so I feel like it would be easier to wear with less dressy clothing,

Black is such a formal color, I have a harder time imagining how it would be worn.
My feeling was that the boot being both Black and Burgundy, the Black would be the determining color for outfits since it is the most restrictive. And in that case, the Burgundy would be a mismatch for pants that work with Black boots. True that the Burgundy is what will mostly be seen, maybe it isn't as bad as I thought.

I wear stuff like that with cords, chinos, flannels, and tweeds. I’m kinda partial to wearing burg with my burgundy cords, but greens, blues, greys, and browns would work great.
The Burg/Black would be a great combo with Burgundy pants for sure. OK, you guys are warming me up to it.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My feeling was that the boot being both Black and Burgundy, the Black would be the determining color for outfits since it is the most restrictive. And in that case, the Burgundy would be a mismatch for pants that work with Black boots. True that the Burgundy is what will mostly be seen, maybe it isn't as bad as I thought.

The Burg/Black would be a great combo with Burgundy pants for sure. OK, you guys are warming me up to it.
Here’s a good chart that shows various combinations of shoe and pants.
D336A47D-7D82-41E1-9077-A43D4987E387.png

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Black and burg pants go together for sure, regardless, but as mreams said the burgundy is primarily what you’ll see and match to.
burg green today.
image.jpg

ptfly

Reaction score
Here’s a good chart that shows various combinations of shoe and pants.
View attachment 1538051
My opinion of this general chart is that two of the color ranges are too broad to make such a black/white statement...green and burgundy (burgundy pants). I also have a tough time visualizing some of the purple shoe combos :).
Always interesting that this chart implies you should buy navy shoes as the most versatile. I certainly have that covered!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first shell I purchased. Still the best fitting of my horse butt collection.
View attachment 1537986

burg really ages well

I plan to wear with jeans.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the Silverlakes back from the cobbler, $150 from the bay after tax and shipping, and $60 for sole swap at local cobbler, so all in $210, and now I think they look pretty damn good! They are super light and comfortable!!
View attachment 1538010
View attachment 1538011
View attachment 1538012
View attachment 1538013
View attachment 1538014

The black is a big improvement, but I personally don't dig the approach Allen Edmonds took with these boots.

These boots don't say "Allen Edmonds" to me at all.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad you like them and I am sure they suit you. I just don't "get" these boots myself.

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black is a big improvement, but I personally don't dig the approach Allen Edmonds took with these boots.

These boots don't say "Allen Edmonds" to me at all.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad you like them and I am sure they suit you. I just don't "get" these boots myself.
Just asking because the "higher ups" mentioned it, what would you guys think of them in shell?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just asking because the "higher ups" mentioned it, what would you guys think of them in shell?

I love shell. I love shell boots.

The soles would have to be non-white, the tag couldn't be included, and the collar would have to go, but then you'd have a decent moc-toe shell boot.

I mean, many companies have don moc toes in shell, including ae with shoes (Bradley)

Snowmaker

Reaction score
I love shell. I love shell boots.

The soles would have to be non-white, the tag couldn't be included, and the collar would have to go, but then you'd have a decent moc-toe shell boot.

I mean, many companies have don moc toes in shell, including ae with shoes (Bradley)
They did a boot (not in shell) at least once. I think the Portland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads