• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy wingtip Wednesday!
F408261F-8178-4F08-AFEC-A019439C1D10.jpeg

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snuff suede strand today
95FA8145-6641-4C31-9ABD-8AD307DB687D.jpeg

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hump day wings

PXL_20210113_145106904.MP.jpg
PXL_20210113_143935736.jpg
PXL_20210113_143940421.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unexpected eBay find arrived on my doorstep today, just in time for Wingtip Wednesday. Years ago, I bought a pair of brown Cronmoks in 11.5 D on clearance, and could just barely get my feet into them, even after a lot of swearing and shoehorning. I mean, sure, I do a lot of swearing and shoehorning every day, but that pair refused to comply. I kept looking for an 11.5 E pair, but there weren't any to be found as the stock eventually evaporated.

A couple years ago, I put a search in on eBay for Cronmoks in 11.5 because, goshdarnit, I really like the look of them in blue. What can I say? I had an itch I needed to scratch. Every once in a blue [Cronmok] moon, a D-width would show up, but I remembered the lessons of before. So, when these 11.5 Es popped up in my alert, I put a bid in on them and waited. They weren't new, but they are first quality with less than a dozen wears on them, based on the sole and lack of creasing. They also came with the original box and bags. Sure, they were more than I wanted to pay, but that's just because I'm a cheapskate, and some tool bid against me and drove up the price to the higher end of what I was willing to pay. Regardless, they're now mine. Tonight, I'll spend some time cleaning them inside and out and popping in some shoe trees.

I'd like to say everything is perfect, but I've come to realize that I'm never going to get a perfect fit with the 65 last. I just cannot dial it in. I've got a narrow heel, higher-than-normal instep, and a width pretty much halfway between D and E. To get the length, width, and instep sorta-right on the 65, I need an 11 EE. The problem is that the heel gives me tons of side-to-side movement. I don't like that feeling at all. The Cronmok (and all 65 last footwear) in 11.5 E is a bit long, a touch wide, and just slightly loose in the heel. With thick enough socks, it becomes tolerable enough all around. Moving forward, I'm crossing off anything that comes on the 65. It's just not worth the frustration.

Of course, now that I've done this, I'm sure AE will reissue the Cronmok, but this time on the 201 last or the 1757, and I'll cry like I just finished watching Terms of Endearment and Brian's Song back-to-back.

Now, I sit and wait to find out what the upcoming non-shell Trunk Show is going to look like. Ashley posted that list of shell SMUs after I'd already sent off the payment on these Cronmoks. If that pair of bourbon First Avenues in 11.5 D had been shaved or in blue shell and had come with a v-tread sole, instead of the JR sole, it would have been a no-brainer to forego the upcoming show. But, I've got a good feeling about what's coming up, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a really cool HM will come exactly the way I've always wanted.

IMG_4558.jpg

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SHARK GMTO.JPG

Click here to take the poll

Alright gentleman.
I am excited to announce that a small group of us are attempting to launch the first GMTO in several years. We are doing a cordovan and shark boot, and we have narrowed it down to a few options, and we'd like a show of hands to see who would be interested in what.

We are choosing between black shell/black shark or navy shell/black shark and we are choosing between the Landon and the Higgins.

A few key points:

1. In order for this to be approved, we need to agree one ONE collective set of specs.

2. We need to have at least 20 participants, and this will be first come, first serve.

3. Once we iron out the details here and I know who is interested in this platform, I might open the ability up to the FB thread to get our remaining participants.

4. This will set the tone for future gmtos, so I cannot stress enough for important it is for us to try to come to an agreement together.

If you are interested, please take the poll above. By all means, if you suspect you know someone who might participate, send them this way.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
View attachment 1535149
Click here to take the poll

Alright gentleman.
I am excited to announce that a small group of us are attempting to launch the first GMTO in several years. We are doing a cordovan and shark boot, and we have narrowed it down to a few options, and we'd like a show of hands to see who would be interested in what.

We are choosing between black shell/black shark or navy shell/black shark and we are choosing between the Landon and the Higgins.

A few key points:

1. In order for this to be approved, we need to agree one ONE collective set of specs.

2. We need to have at least 20 participants, and this will be first come, first serve.

3. Once we iron out the details here and I know who is interested in this platform, I might open the ability up to the FB thread to get our remaining participants.

4. This will set the tone for future gmtos, so I cannot stress enough for important it is for us to try to come to an agreement together.

If you are interested, please take the poll above. By all means, if you suspect you know someone who might participate, send them this way.

Done. I’m probably in regardless of figuration. Do we have any ideas as to a price point at this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads