• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right, I need advice from folks with culture and taste. Until I locate some, y’all will have to do. ? (rimshot)

I’ve received some lambs wool flannel trousers in what O’Connell’s calls “brick.” They are a bit darker and richer than the photo below suggests. They would be worn with either odd jacket & tie or just a sweater. Either way, I’m stumped as to the best color shoe to go with (you’d have thought I would have worked that out before buying, right?).

Black would seem to be obvious but I have an adversion to black shoes when not with a suit. So, all my black shoes are oxford cap toes; I have nothing in black less formal than that.

So my choices would seem to be (i) buy a less formal black shoe I wouldn’t wear much or (ii) make use of a different color. No, I don’t have any green or blue shoes apart from a blue suede chukka. Well, I take that back, I have a greenish brown chukka that C&J calls “ earth” or something.

Thoughts?
View attachment 1712442
I have a pair of pants that art close to that color. I confidently wear....

Black
Brown
Walnut
Green
Blue
Bourbon

with them.

I would probably avoid oxblood, lighter burgundy, and chili.

JRC

Reaction score

Attachments

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
All right, I need advice from folks with culture and taste. Until I locate some, y’all will have to do. ? (rimshot)

I’ve received some lambs wool flannel trousers in what O’Connell’s calls “brick.” They are a bit darker and richer than the photo below suggests. They would be worn with either odd jacket & tie or just a sweater. Either way, I’m stumped as to the best color shoe to go with (you’d have thought I would have worked that out before buying, right?).

Black would seem to be obvious but I have an adversion to black shoes when not with a suit. So, all my black shoes are oxford cap toes; I have nothing in black less formal than that.

So my choices would seem to be (i) buy a less formal black shoe I wouldn’t wear much or (ii) make use of a different color. No, I don’t have any green or blue shoes apart from a blue suede chukka. Well, I take that back, I have a greenish brown chukka that C&J calls “ earth” or something.

Thoughts?
View attachment 1712442
I like brown shoes, the colour you are wearing would look nice. Perhaps a brown shoe with lighter or natural welt.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote the @donkeyhoatie, Charleston helped me fill my chili hole. These are the chili weatherproof, not the shell.

Long version: I looked at an Alden plain toe boot in tan (more like tomato soup color) for months and months, but didn't really want to spend $625 on another pair of boots. I also wanted something I could more easily use in rain. I wanted something more reddish and eventually realized the chili Higgins might fit what I was looking for. The burgundy Higgins looks good too, but I just preferred something more red. These are more like dark chili and I like that they are more understated. You can see they do look quite different than my brown cxl Higgins. When I found out that factory seconds were discounted pretty steep, I decided to take the chance. I feel like this color has been overlooked a bit. The only flaws I can find is that some of the finish looks uneven and possibly some mild tiger stripping going on. I think they look great, and they fit great too. Will have to swap the laces for something smaller. I just don't like the thickness of AE laces sometimes. Thanks to @audog, I still have some extra laces. :)

IMG_4224_1.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote the @donkeyhoatie, Charleston helped me fill my chili hole. These are the chili weatherproof, not the shell.

Long version: I looked at an Alden plain toe boot in tan (more like tomato soup color) for months and months, but didn't really want to spend $625 on another pair of boots. I also wanted something I could more easily use in rain. I wanted something more reddish and eventually realized the chili Higgins might fit what I was looking for. The burgundy Higgins looks good too, but I just preferred something more red. These are more like dark chili and I like that they are more understated. You can see they do look quite different than my brown cxl Higgins. When I found out that factory seconds were discounted pretty steep, I decided to take the chance. I feel like this color has been overlooked a bit. The only flaws I can find is that some of the finish looks uneven and possibly some mild tiger stripping going on. I think they look great, and they fit great too. Will have to swap the laces for something smaller. I just don't like the thickness of AE laces sometimes. Thanks to @audog, I still have some extra laces. :)

View attachment 1712618
View attachment 1712617
View attachment 1712616
Charleston has always been great about filling peoples' chili holes. In fact, it might be what they do best. I'd like to see them put that as a special skill on a LinkedIn profile at some point.

Those HMs look awesome in chili. At some point, I'm sure a pair will find their way to my closet.

I'm with you and agree that the HM needs a different lace than the standard version, which is a bit too thicc for my tastes. I've really been digging the Guarded Goods tan rawhide laces on my OG brown CXL HMs. And, I use their whiskey round boot laces on my burgundy shell pair. Very different looks, but both feel appropriate. Would recommend both wholeheartedly.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1712618
View attachment 1712617
View attachment 1712616
Those look great. HM is a good boot.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooooooooo...don't go mentioning to Count to have a welt lighter than the uppers...
You are in my head.

Correct; welts should be neither seen nor heard, quietly doing their job without being noticed, invisible while in plain view, like a good waiter.?

I like brown shoes, the colour you are wearing would look nice. Perhaps a brown shoe with lighter or natural welt.
That’s a darker brown I just happened to be wearing when the package arrived.

I have a pair of pants that art close to that color. ...

I would probably avoid oxblood, lighter burgundy, and chili.
Yeah, I think all my dark red/wine/burg shell is likely a no go. Too close.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1712618
View attachment 1712617
View attachment 1712616

Love it! That is a nice pick of the litter!
I love everything about the Higgins Mill. I enjoy the Landon, but it's funny how different the last wears (for my foot).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charleston has always been great about filling peoples' chili holes. In fact, it might be what they do best. I'd like to see them put that as a special skill on a LinkedIn profile at some point.

Those HMs look awesome in chili. At some point, I'm sure a pair will find their way to my closet.

I'm with you and agree that the HM needs a different lace than the standard version, which is a bit too thicc for my tastes. I've really been digging the Guarded Goods tan rawhide laces on my OG brown CXL HMs. And, I use their whiskey round boot laces on my burgundy shell pair. Very different looks, but both feel appropriate. Would recommend both wholeheartedly.
All this talk about chili holes is making me feel something...strange.

KarlHungus

Reaction score

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these? I think I have looked at almost every catalog available.

The insoles of this pair has “The Hand Crafted World of Allen Edmonds.” These are most likely from the mid 1980s. They look like the Strand — but without a medallion on the toe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.